Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oxon Raceway

Length: 3.2 miles (5.1 km)

Lap Description:
Sector 1:
The run down to the first two corners (4th, then 3rd) is flat, before falling downhill, bottoming on the apex of 2. The run following (5th), followed by 4, crests at the end of 3, flattening out on the approash to 4 (2nd), before going up hill. The track crests at the beginning of 5, a fast blind entry, with a dip at the exit. This then on to a long straight, with 2 crests equally spread along the straight.

Sector 2: the speed trap at 6 signals the start of setotor 2, which is similar to the first sector. 6, a good opportunity for overtaking (3rd), moves the rak on to a pair of raising sweepers, before a cabmered decreasing radius turn (5th, 6th, 5th), falling away to the entrance of 10.

Sector 3: The tighter slower part of the lap. The entry to 10 is a good opportunity to overtake. The last few corners of the lap follow back up, flattening at halfway through the last corner, into another lap.
Attached Thumbnails
Oxon raceway.bmp  
Old 7 Dec 2007, 16:40 (Ref:2083754)   #2
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For a circuit length of 5.1km, the front straight would be around 1km. I'm not sure that any of the other straights would be long enough for overtaking you mention.
Also the dreaded pitlane exit into the racing line.

But a nice shape generally.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 18:00 (Ref:2083810)   #3
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
OK, that is a bit short of what I intended the track to be, so about 5 miles (8 km). (I'm useless at scale)

Noted about the pit exit. I should have done something about that before posting. Maybe the pits should have been further up or on the outside.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 19:17 (Ref:2083857)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With the pits on the outside I think it would be a great touring car circuit, where a bit of rubbing would allow overtaking on the circuit.

For something like F1 I don't think it needs to go quite that scale, simply a little more length to the straight between 5 and 6, similarly between 9 and 10.
On the latter it would also increase the length of run into the final sweeper making it faster more difficult type of corner.
Old 8 Dec 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2084337)   #5
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
thanks for the comment. anyone else?
Old 9 Dec 2007, 14:52 (Ref:2084869)   #6
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a nice one indeed. I think you could promote overtaking by tightening the final corner.

Overall, the blot shape of sectors 1 and 2 reminds me of Bath, which is a track I posted some time ago in one of the archive threads. Still, I prefer your Oxon Raceway over Bath by a mile, because your design got the better corner shapes. The corner shapes of Bath are just plain boring.

Now would the OtherWorld(ly) Series be welcome for its "Race Of Champions"-type of event at the Oxon Raceway? ;-)
Old 9 Dec 2007, 17:42 (Ref:2084947)   #7
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Possibly, depends if it receives planning permission for the new expanded pit complex.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 21:01 (Ref:2086770)   #8
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I love it. Got a real classic feel to it - I mean like the Osterreichring or new Spa. Not necessarily natural but it flows really well
Old 21 Dec 2007, 12:59 (Ref:2093320)   #9
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice.

Reminds me of Brands Hatch (not the gp loop).