Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Dec 2012, 17:30 (Ref:3175421)   #1
Dave Richardson
Rookie

United States
Cheshire
Dave Richardson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hungarian GP

My daughter is hoping to take her husband to next year's Hungarian GP for his "special" birthday, but as she has a severe nut allergy, she has concerns about her ability to communicate with the locals (shops mainly) regarding her condition, so I was wondering if anyone out there has been to or marshalled at the Grand Prix and can advise us what the level of spoken English is in that part of the world.

Many thanks
Old 5 Dec 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3175447)   #2
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Dave, couple of my Dutch and Belgian friends have marshalled there for the last couple of years. Send me your email address by pm and I´ll forward your question to them.
Old 5 Dec 2012, 23:44 (Ref:3175556)   #3
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a Hungarian marshal that does Singapore GP annually, his level of English is perfect

Got a link to him on facebook if you want to ask him anything directly.
Old 7 Dec 2012, 08:15 (Ref:3176102)   #4
Dave Richardson
Rookie

United States
Cheshire
Dave Richardson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That would be really useful

Thanks

Dave
Old 7 Dec 2012, 12:06 (Ref:3176150)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
no idea about marshalling but i go to hungary and the hungaroring every year. generally around the budapest area the young people speak a reasonable amount of english. you can easily have a conversation if you keep to simple english, sentence construction and verbs, and they're often really keen to practice their language skills. however, outside of the foreign tourist trail - for example, supermarkets and petrol stations - they will speak very little english.

german is spoken more than english because of the strong german and austrian tourist industry there. the safest thing would be to carry a card with relevant phrases in hungarian that she can show to restaurant staff if their english doesn't reach that far and neither party speaks german.

the people are outrageously kind, helpful and welcoming so i'm sure she'll have a fantastic time

ps. depending on how comfortable your daughter and her husband are with driving abroad, it may well be easier, more interesting and cheaper for them to fly to vienna, take a few days there, and then drive over the border to budapest. it's about a 3-4 hour drive and all they'll need to do is pay a little extra on the hire car booking and pick up road tax at the first petrol station in hungary.
Old 10 Dec 2012, 12:55 (Ref:3177081)   #6
f1madmatt
Racer

England
Leicester
f1madmatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went to the Hungarian Gp this season. There was a guy in our accomodation who had a nut allergy. We got the hostel owner, he spoke really good English to write to what the Hungarian was for 'nut allergy' on a piece of paper. When we went out for a meal, we showed this to the waiter and he understood us. I believe the words are
'anya allergia'

Your daughter will love it, Budapest is an amazing city