Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 27 Feb 2017, 16:26 (Ref:3715141)   #76
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Not being American or a particular fan of NASCAR I don't need to be called shortsighted to be honest, I am merely a racefan who watches probably more different types of motorsport than a lot of people on both two and four wheels and hardly ever sees a car run out of fuel, yet in the few NASCAR races I have watched in recent years it always seems to be a topic of conversation a reality and something they really push to the nth degree. And I have seen it happen a few times on ovals.

Look at it from the outside instead of from your pickup!!
They don't fuel at all in F1, there's no pitstops in closed circuit bike racing and I don't own a pick up. Watch more than "a few" nascar races and come back with non shortsided and stereotypical comments.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 17:14 (Ref:3715149)   #77
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
They don't fuel at all in F1, there's no pitstops in closed circuit bike racing and I don't own a pick up. Watch more than "a few" nascar races and come back with non shortsided and stereotypical comments.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3715151)   #78
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
....there's no pitstops in closed circuit bike racing....
Unless it rains of course. They don't stop because of a sprinkle of rain these days. Not particularly relevant to the discussion I admit but since you brought it up...
Old 27 Feb 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3715155)   #79
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Nevr ceases to amaze me how that in a sport where millions are spent on eery detail of engine performance and car setup.

Drivers are allowed to be fat, cars are covered in stickers inside and a few of them run out of fuel in the biggest race in their calendar.

I even knew about fuel in autograss for God's sake. I know they are pushing to the limit, but to run out and apparently for this to happen a lot, is embarrassing and rather unprofessional
Most pasta guzzling F1 drivers don't even look like men and with grotesque idiocy like "DRS", F1 certainly isn't one to talk. Nor does any international series look that convincing as they zombie-like mimic whatever trends are afoot in F1 -- or even in sport generally.

I'd reset it to when "fat guys" like Old Rosberg and Alex Jones were doing the rounds in a cold minute if I could.

As for NASCAR, many of the races of the 80s/90s are some of the most without-pause thrilling races ever committed to film. Substantial men, in dangerous cars, driving on a tight rope for an endurance length at utter break neck speeds. The bottom fell out of it when Old Earnhardt died and it's particularly tough for those who used to know what it was like to see such a grand sport fall to the spears of marketing mediocrities.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 17:51 (Ref:3715157)   #80
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Unless it rains of course. They don't stop because of a sprinkle of rain these days. Not particularly relevant to the discussion I admit but since you brought it up...
You're correct. Then it becomes a complete "do over" - a wet race where fuel doesn't become an issue. They know they have X number of laps for fuel as opposed to pit stops on the edge of a fuel window, where drafting and the right foot of the driver are all that control fuel mileage. It's not as simple as some make it out to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Thought I'd give the closing stages of the race a go and I have to say I wasn't impressed. Aside from having a lot fewer cars out there thanks to earlier incidents (although a few more than I expected to be out there to be fair).

Most of the last 15 laps involved everyone waiting for an opportunity. That mentality, possibly made worse because of the need to stay in line because of the aero needed, made for really dull viewing. Then rather than a dramatic finish we get the leaders running out of fuel, leaving one guy clear.

That need to stay in line just to hold your position is what has, in my opinion, led to the contrived stage race format. Rather than have everyone ride along in line for a few hours before the finish, let's create two additional fake-finishes so everyone has to put some effort in. Probably far easier to do that than alter the cars or the tracks to promote multiple line racing.

I hadn't got round to cancelling my Premier Sports subscription but yesterday reminded me I have to do it. I'm not paying £10+ per month to watch that.
I liked the last 15 laps or so. The single file stuff is kinda old school.

Agreed on the stage format being fake. And it didn't happen this time, but the contrived stage races will cause a big one at the next plate race...

EDIT: OH yeah, cut that extra; not worth it til Mr. Brainless France gets put in the padded room where he belongs.

Only reason I watched was for the flu and Chase. Such a pretty day here yesterday and I couldn't move because of the flu....

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 27 Feb 2017 at 18:09.
Old 27 Feb 2017, 22:52 (Ref:3715226)   #81
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So... Stewart Haas takes on the seemingly impossible.. switch brands.. set up a complete chassis shop from scratch... use a totally different engine supplier.. throw away every Chevrolet part they ever used...

Then go out and win at Daytona!

Show up Penske. Show up Roush Fenway.

On the first bounce...

Be nice to think of what they are capable of when they get settled
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Feb 2017, 20:37 (Ref:3715379)   #82
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
I watched some of the xfinity race and quite a bit of the 500. Enjoyed it mostly, some good close racing, some bone head moves, but it was certainly entertaining and I guess that's the point.

What improved the experience for me was avoiding the TV coverage and inane jibber jabber - I watched from the various camera feeds and drivers radio through the Android app.

I do think the stages are artificial, I do think it could cause more wrecks with people desperate for points at stage end... but it does mean people have to race rather than float around at the back - so I can sort of see why.

Also I think the accident damage rule getting the slow beaten up cars parked is good - I don't want to see something running slow getting in the way of faster cars trying to lap.

NASCAR is far from perfect, but for all that may be wrong at least there is hard racing and a genuine unknown element to who is going to take victory. Contrast to F1 - it's going to be another year where Lewis pilots the best car to the championship, probably without breaking a sweat. Fair play to him and Mercedes but it's sure gonna be dull.
Old 3 Mar 2017, 16:06 (Ref:3716152)   #83
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
As for NASCAR, many of the races of the 80s/90s are some of the most without-pause thrilling races ever committed to film. Substantial men, in dangerous cars, driving on a tight rope for an endurance length at utter break neck speeds. The bottom fell out of it when Old Earnhardt died and it's particularly tough for those who used to know what it was like to see such a grand sport fall to the spears of marketing mediocrities.
Pretty good description of Nascar in the days before management started messing around with the series via the playoff type of racing.. I attended the first "practice" that was held under lights at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Previously, all races were in daytime. I remember that the drivers were a little anxious of how it would be racing under lights.
Old 14 Mar 2017, 20:52 (Ref:3718646)   #84
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
So Sliced Doosh and Captain Snothead got in "a fight"...

Kyle got in a good shot on Joey and then typically Joey's crew jumped in to protect the silver spoon and bloodied Kyle. Don't think a candy sponsor is happy with Kyle.

I hate these two but this is the most interesting thing that has happened this year, as bad as that is to say.

Can we pin this thread and unpin the 2016 thread? Keep up mods!
Old 15 Mar 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3718773)   #85
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So Sliced Doosh and Captain Snothead got in "a fight"...

Kyle got in a good shot on Joey and then typically Joey's crew jumped in to protect the silver spoon and bloodied Kyle. Don't think a candy sponsor is happy with Kyle.

I hate these two but this is the most interesting thing that has happened this year, as bad as that is to say.

Can we pin this thread and unpin the 2016 thread? Keep up mods!
Kyle needs to work on his one two combination.
Kudos to him for having a pop, and taking a kicking for it.
The Double Doosh has such an infinitely punchable face.

I didn't realise I was a big fan of "Captain Snothead" until the races after he rammed the #54 into the fence at Daytona.
He may not be the world's greatest person, but he sure can wheel a stock car.
I think I will go and buy a bag of M&Ms.

Young Joey is getting quite a rap sheet with the Gibbs boys. He busted Hamlin's back, wrecked Kenseth, and now Busch wants to batter him too.

Last edited by Number4; 15 Mar 2017 at 11:11.
Old 19 Mar 2017, 23:00 (Ref:3720075)   #86
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It ain't over 'til it's over. Attaboy Newman, good work making the gamble pay off.

Races like this is why I'll always enjoy NASCAR, despite all the whackiness with the rules etc.
Old 23 Mar 2017, 00:09 (Ref:3720793)   #87
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Couple of weekends in a row with some feisty incidences, that some would harken back to the rough and tumble days but it kinda looks like this to me.

JR had some interesting words on the subject:
http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/03/...ote-new-movie/

Thoughts?

And good for Ryan getting a V. Been a dryspell...
Old 26 Mar 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3721617)   #88
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Lee View Post
About the only thing I will attend, motorsport wise, this year, will be an event in a series that is trying to make a comeback. On the 25th of March, the American Motorcycle Association will run the American Flat Track Series at Dixie Speedway.
Wow, R.Lee, you sure know how to pick an" only" event of the year to attend!
That racing competition was off the chain. Really cool to run in to you on the fence! You are a motorsports almanac! http://www.americanflattrack.com/
Old 27 Mar 2017, 00:46 (Ref:3721727)   #89
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
R.Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
Wow, R.Lee, you sure know how to pick an" only" event of the year to attend!
That racing competition was off the chain. Really cool to run in to you on the fence! You are a motorsports almanac! http://www.americanflattrack.com/
Thanks canamman. Yes, Flat Track Motorcycle racing is AWESOME competition. I have to agree with Willie G. Davidson (Great Grandson of one of the three Davidson Brothers, that founded the Harley-Davidson Motor Company) when he said, a couple of years ago, after attending a flat track race, "This is the most exciting form of motorsports on the planet. This series needs to be rebuilt and brought back to it's former glory!" It was unreal, the way that we met! Thank you for lending me the lawn chair, that was a life saver! Looking forward to seeing you again, in the near future. Really glad that you read the post about this event and decided to check it out! Now, we need to get the rest of these guys here from Georgia, to come on out for this race next year, when the AFT Series returns to Dixie Speedway (as well as other forum members, here in the U.S., to check out the AFT Series, when they race at a track near them)! It WILL (I'm going to optimistic and say will, instead of would, it is GOING TO happen) be GREAT meeting everyone, have some good racing talk and enjoy this exciting form of racing!

This was the first time that this series had been back to North Georgia, since the 1990s. In the past, this was one of the biggest forms of racing in the country. It is a long story on how it fell out of popularity, though one thing that started it's decline was when the original Indian Motorcycle Company went out of business, in 1953. Both Harley-Davidson and Indian built their names and reputation on the race track, practically from their beginnings, back in the early 1900s. With import bikes, like Triumph, BSA, Norton and later, the metric bikes, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda, to compete against H-D, the sport carried on through the 1970s, but as popular/known stars retired, the series lost it's popularity. It has been there, but has been, largely, "flying under the radar". But now, with renewed promotion/interest in bringing flat track racing back, with the revival of the Indian (now under Polaris Industries) brand and with Harley-Davidson coming back into racing and with strong interest from the metric companies and with Triumph remaining in the fray, the sport is poised for a big comeback! The race at Dixie Speedway was added to the schedule, as a trial. To see if interest was in the area. The fear was that the weather would be bad all weekend and it did not look good, at all. Weather threatened, all week leading up to the weekend. A good friend of mine, a former rider and AMA Grand National Champion, put together a reunion of retired riders, several former Grand National Champions that featured vintage racing bikes, to help promote the event. I was more than glad to help him with the event. Had the weather been a problem and the races been rained out, it is doubtful that they would have returned to this area again. It was placed on the schedule between Daytona and Charlotte, two established events in the series and there was no plan to reschedule, if the event had been postponed. Fortunately, the weather held off and the fans came out. The stands and the whole track were full! There was no parking left on the grounds of the speedway, cars had to be parked outside of the track. It was a great turnout and the fans saw some outstanding racing! Indian brought out a new racing version of the "Scout" and they dominated, sweeping the top three positions. As a Harley guy, I hate to say this, but Harley-Davidson got embarrassed! It wasn't pretty for us. I believe the first Harley finished 5th. They have brought out a new bike, to replace the AWESOME XR750, that dominated this form of racing for so many years. There isn't anything left to get out of the XR750, it's had everything that it had gotten rung out of it. The new GX750R needs ALLOT of work! If anyone can turn this bike into a winner, it will be Vance and Hines, who runs Harley's racing program. They are out to lunch right now, they have a whole lot of work to do! By all accounts, the event was a HUGE success! We talked to the AMA (American Motorcycle Association) officials and they were pleased! They said that this event/race will be on the schedule, they will be back next year! Please, come out and support the American Flat Track Series, be a part of bringing this exciting form of racing back to the forefront! Support the AFT Series, see a race, when they come to a track near you. You won't be sorry and you will become a fan! Flat track racing has been popular, worldwide, not just in the U.S., so guys, if you are from outside the U.S., check and see if there is flat track racing in your country. You will love it, I promise you!

They run the 1/2 mile dirt oval at Charlotte Motor Speedway, this coming weekend. Check them out on www.fanschoice.tv . All of the AFT schedule is streamed live. Also, NBCSN will show all of the AFT races, delayed, on Thursday nights. So check out the races from Dixie Speedway, this coming Thursday evening, you might see canamman and me on TV!

Again, it was a real pleasure meeting and talking with you canamman! We need to get the Georgia Gang from the forum together soon. Take care, my Friend.
Old 27 Mar 2017, 01:11 (Ref:3721731)   #90
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Checking the results, a Harley-Davidson led most of the 25 lap main but the rider had an incident with the eventual winner and had an accident, he got up, got back into the race and finished 6th. A Harley did finish 4th. Neither of these riders were on the factory Harley-Davidson bikes, the GX750R. Both were independents, riding XR750s. Though old, the XR is still competitive. It is a legendary bike, that still has allot of fight in it, but it is getting long in the tooth, though still competitive and it will be around for a number of years and will likely get a few more wins before it is completely retired, (it has been raced since the early 1970s) The factory felt the need for a new design, to better compete with Indian and the other brands, that are fielding new bikes. The fact that the XR750 is still competitive and was literally holding off Indian's best, is a testament to how good this bike is and has always been! The factory team, riding GX750Rs, finished 10th, 11th and 15th. Like I said, they have ALLOT of work to do!
Old 27 Mar 2017, 14:12 (Ref:3721875)   #91
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
(Started a flat track thread for future posts, my apologies NASCAR)

Looks like we might have to wait till July 2017 before
NBCSN will air the flat track races. I ran through
my dvr schedule and did not see it listed for this Thurs.
Keep us posted if you see any different. Here is a link I found
explaining the airing schedule.
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...-in-july-2017/

Congrats to Larson on the Fontana win. Kid's on a roll.

Last edited by canamman; 27 Mar 2017 at 14:22.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 08:38 (Ref:3727503)   #92
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Hello, anybody in here?
Old 18 Apr 2017, 09:29 (Ref:3727510)   #93
Number4
Racer

England
The Dead South
Number4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hello, anybody in here?
Hi R.Lee, How are you? What are you up to?
I have not watched a lap of cup this year, and can't say I really miss it.
We have started getting the Xfinity and Trucks on free to air over here. I watched the Atlanta, Phoenix and Texas Xfinity races, they were OK but nothing remarkable. The truck race was good at Martinsville and Chase Elliot put on a display.
Watching highlights means the stages don't really affect ones viewing.
I have absolutely no idea what a driver has to do anymore to win a championship, there appears to be another new fangled system again. I tried reading the rules but my eyes glazed over and I began drooling. It seems there are now two point systems that I can't get my head around and I will just have to watch each race for what it is.
When the commentators start saying "PLAYOFF" every ninth word I shall probably stop watching.
We get the Bristol Xfinity race next Tuesday, so I will be looking forward to that.
Cheers #4.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 01:19 (Ref:3727672)   #94
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number4 View Post
Hi R.Lee, How are you? What are you up to?
I have not watched a lap of cup this year, and can't say I really miss it.
We have started getting the Xfinity and Trucks on free to air over here. I watched the Atlanta, Phoenix and Texas Xfinity races, they were OK but nothing remarkable. The truck race was good at Martinsville and Chase Elliot put on a display.
Watching highlights means the stages don't really affect ones viewing.
I have absolutely no idea what a driver has to do anymore to win a championship, there appears to be another new fangled system again. I tried reading the rules but my eyes glazed over and I began drooling. It seems there are now two point systems that I can't get my head around and I will just have to watch each race for what it is.
When the commentators start saying "PLAYOFF" every ninth word I shall probably stop watching.
We get the Bristol Xfinity race next Tuesday, so I will be looking forward to that.
Cheers #4.
I'm doing fairly well. About the only thing I've been up to is work. Not much else. Had a quiet Easter, hope yours was well. I've watched most of the races this year, but am not at all impressed with these stage races. They are nothing more than glorified heat races to me. Like you, I have no clue as to what a driver has to do to win a championship. This whole "playoff", chase, etc., is a joke. Auto racing is not a stick and ball sport. I wish that the powers that be would stop trying to make it into one! They just need to get back to a points system, get out of the way and let them race! Hopefully, Bristol won't be plagued with rain this weekend, but unfortunately, that is what they are forecasting. Glad that you are getting those races for free now! Not much else going on here. Have a Great day. I'll talk to you later.
Old 19 Apr 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3727756)   #95
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Like you, I have no clue as to what a driver has to do to win a championship. This whole "playoff", chase, etc., is a joke.
Then don't watch the championship, just watch the races.
Old 22 Apr 2017, 02:40 (Ref:3728292)   #96
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Then don't watch the championship, just watch the races.
I don't. I just watch the races. If anything, I pull for the drivers that do not make the joke, called the chase, to win the races, instead of those that make the chase joke!
Old 24 Apr 2017, 00:00 (Ref:3728802)   #97
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Well, they postponed Bristol, well before the green flag was scheduled to drop! Just too much rain coming down and it wasn't going to let up! Could be a problem again for tomorrow as well. This day SUCKED, big time! Ruined my day. It has been raining here all day along, as well. Not complaining about that, we need the rain, but it was too wet and raining to go anywhere or do anything. I had planned to watch the race today, but because it was rained out, it mean no racing for me to watch today. I wound up going back to bed, as there was nothing else to watch and nothing else to do! Not much more to day, wasted day and it just SUCKED!
Old 24 Apr 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3728950)   #98
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I picked Keso and Truex in my group A for yahoo. Truex is on the bench and dominating the race. Keso was my choice and goes behind the wall. I suck at fantasy sports.....
Old 8 May 2017, 00:50 (Ref:3732081)   #99
R.Lee
Racer

United States
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. wins Talladega! Who saw that coming? I know he had been running well, but just didn't think he break through this soon, this season. Happy for him! Congratulations Ricky!
Old 14 May 2017, 02:53 (Ref:3733320)   #100
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I actually tuned in this evening for a little bit and saw one of the nastiest accidents I've seen in some time. Logano had a failure going into 1 and collected Danica into the fence. Aric Almirola had no traction and barreled into Joey at such a high rate of speed the rear of the car was lifted far into the air. AA was pulled from the car after the roof was removed and certainly hoping he'll be okay. He was conscious when removed....