Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 1 Mar 2016, 11:51 (Ref:3618990)   #301
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what Tommy Rustaad is doing?
Old 1 Mar 2016, 12:29 (Ref:3618997)   #302
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also wondered what he will do this year. I hoped he will compete instead of Münnich, because René wants to do TCR, but obviously that is not true...
Old 1 Mar 2016, 19:43 (Ref:3619076)   #303
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Fair points Hick

I do simply worry about the future not the present. While it is great that retired WRC drivers now have somewhere to play, they are only doing it as they can't find anything else to do. So WRX is taking advantage of that. Loeb would not be there if he hadn't been dropped from WTCC. So he fell in our lap. And Solberg will likely go unless he gets a manufacturer to come on board and help, a similar approach to Block actually.

WRX has gone from nothing to matching BTCC (which, like BSB is pushed as family entertainment and a family day out) in terms of prices, and those series are using sustained and proven business models. WRX needs to do the same to compete or it will be flash in the pan as I fear.

I simply feel that a lot of what IMG are doing is a get rich quick approach. They are doing a lot of things right, but the legacy is non existant.

The feeder formula's are being dropped in favour of a one make system as are the supporting gent drivers and semi pro guys, the tracks are being falsely built so lose an element of appeal from fans, to make better tv and be close to populated areas which is fine, but they are car park tracks, think D1GP and autotests, not Lyngas and Brands Hatch.

Regarding Ken, the new Khaha is fairly dull clearly Ford pushed and very scenic, but I think using a Focus is awesome, I loved Jansens car, it is more stable and very strong, a vital part of WRX now more than ever.

And the Fiesta, while good has not dominated at all since it was built, maybe also Ford and MSport want to differetiate their WRX thing from WRC, and offer a different product that customers can buy, perhaps another reason why Eriksson lost the deal. He was perhaps not willing to build new jigs etc.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 20:43 (Ref:3619103)   #304
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Regarding Ken, the new Khaha is fairly dull clearly Ford pushed and very scenic
I would agree that most of the appeal of 8 is from the scenery rather than the driving: there is only so much that can be done with a car! Not the worst of the gymkhana videos, but certainly not the best.

Quote:
And the Fiesta, while good has not dominated at all since it was built
I would say that the Fiesta has had it moments; the first third of the 2014 season is foremost in my mind when the OMSE Fiesta's looked very strong. Bakkerud won at Lydden in a final that contained three OMSE cars (I admit though that it didn't seem to take long for the competition to catch up that season).

Quote:
maybe also Ford and MSport want to differetiate their WRX thing from WRC, and offer a different product that customers can buy
Perhaps, though - and it's on a similar line of thought to your post above - if I were to pick one reason for the use of the Focus over the Fiesta it's because it's a golden opportunity to promote the new Focus RS. Win or lose Block (and the Focus) will get attention and running the car in the World Rallycross Championship will expose it to a far wider audience than a GRC entry...

...having said that - and as per my earlier post - it does seem a bit of a gamble to opt for a new car over a proven one in a World Championship. On that note, the only other thought that crossed my mind is that they might opt for the Fiesta in the World Championship and save the Focus for X-Games?
Old 1 Mar 2016, 23:13 (Ref:3619139)   #305
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
Anyone know what Tommy Rustaad is doing?
Is it possible that he teams up with Solberg?
Any word from the JRM camp?
Personally would love to see Doran and Larsson team up
Old 2 Mar 2016, 16:21 (Ref:3619327)   #306
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
M-Sport press release confirms that the use of the Focus in the World Rallycross Championship:

M-Sport.co.uk - Focus RS RX Confirmed For World Championship
Old 2 Mar 2016, 16:46 (Ref:3619331)   #307
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like a full factory backed effort - Ford Performance in the USA are really making an effort with their Motorsport programmes. And, may I say, one in the eye for the WRC....
Old 2 Mar 2016, 17:21 (Ref:3619345)   #308
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading that article makes me realise how seriously they are taking this. Definitely one to watch. I think they will be a good competitor to Peugeot Hansen
Old 2 Mar 2016, 18:55 (Ref:3619372)   #309
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can tell that Ford in the USA are really pushing Block, his WRC campaign was a rather pathetic thing, and his Gymkhana series is not a goer at all, so with the GT programme too Ford are pushing motorsport a lot more this year than they ahve before. And this is ther way to push Block and his horde of tatty clothes into this audience, he has nowhere else to go really!

And I like the fact it is a new team, I do not take well to Eriksson, never have and its great to see someone new involved.

Block has always had close ties to Msport since he moved across from Subaru to Ford years back, so was always likely to go with them.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 19:39 (Ref:3619383)   #310
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You can tell that Ford in the USA are really pushing Block, his WRC campaign was a rather pathetic thing, and his Gymkhana series is not a goer at all, so with the GT programme too Ford are pushing motorsport a lot more this year than they ahve before.
+ increased involvement in NASCAR: Stewart-Haas switches from Chevy to Ford next season.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 20:18 (Ref:3619395)   #311
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
http://market.rallycross.com/categor...allycross.html

It's off-topic but did this FIAT do any racing?
I wonder what this Polish guy was up to. Building a car and just having a go in WRX? That Fiat 500L is not homologated in Group A, nor has it been included in the special FIA list for non-homologated cars, but eligible for Rallycross use. BTW, the Seat Ibiza Mk4 Münnich Motorsport has announced to use in 2016 is currently also still not homologated nor in the special RX list.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3619396)   #312
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.U. View Post
Nitiss confirmed at ALL-INKL.COM Münnich Motorsport alongside René Münnich. Maybe Topi to EKSRX now?
Good guess!
Old 2 Mar 2016, 21:09 (Ref:3619413)   #313
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx-guru View Post
I wonder what this Polish guy was up to. Building a car and just having a go in WRX? That Fiat 500L is not homologated in Group A, nor has it been included in the special FIA list for non-homologated cars, but eligible for Rallycross use. BTW, the Seat Ibiza Mk4 Münnich Motorsport has announced to use in 2016 is currently also still not homologated nor in the special RX list.
He built that car for GRC. I assume their rules are more liberal.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 23:14 (Ref:3619439)   #314
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
He built that car for GRC. I assume their rules are more liberal.
Nope, he built it for to use it in Europe. He raced in the US some years ago, but AFAIK he is back in Poland.

Quote: "The car was built to compete in Rallycross Supercars (prototype ).
Built according to the requirements of SuperCars
The car was built in 2014-2015 ."
Old 3 Mar 2016, 09:09 (Ref:3619506)   #315
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
I agree with some elements of your post Chunder, though I'm not sure on some points...

Quote:
You can tell that Ford in the USA are really pushing Block, his WRC campaign was a rather pathetic thing...
...Block never ran a full WRC season and he was always pretty vocal in stating that the WRC drives were really his sponsors funding his personal ambitions than a serious title attempt. The WRC drives have always played second fiddle to other events that are deemed more important by the sponsors.

I would class his Rally America and GRC efforts as his "serious" motorsport campaigns. Perhaps I'm biased as I like Block, but I thought he deserved at least one GRC title. As for Rally America he was certainly on the pace at times, but he was beaten by the better driver (Pastrana) during his time with Subaru and Higgins when he switched to Ford.

Quote:
and his Gymkhana series is not a goer at all
Last years final had a decent turnout and the rumour doing the rounds is that it will be back at X-Games this year. It's certainly not exploded, but I wouldn't call it a total flop, especially as it's a series that Block resurrected from the dead.

Quote:
Ford are pushing motorsport a lot more this year than they ahve before. And this is ther way to push Block and his horde of tatty clothes into this audience, he has nowhere else to go really!
I personally think this is more about the car than Block: Block is a good way to promote the new Focus RS to a very wide audience and the World Rallycross Championship has a much further reach than the GRC.

Quote:
Block has always had close ties to Msport since he moved across from Subaru to Ford years back, so was always likely to go with them.
There was some initial dealing with OMSE, wasn't there? I agree with you in that it's great to see another team involved though and, as Hickey says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
Reading that article makes me realise how seriously they are taking this. Definitely one to watch. I think they will be a good competitor to Peugeot Hansen
...that press release does seem a rather serious declaration of their intentions.

I'm really keen to see what the actual car looks like now, as all the images thus far look like renders rather than a real car (and the quote in that article states that Block is yet to even drive it). Have to say I'm still uncertain on how well the bigger Focus will stack up against the competition but, as said above, it looks like they have put a lot of development into it.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 10:33 (Ref:3619512)   #316
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
There was some initial dealing with OMSE, wasn't there? I agree with you in that it's great to see another team involved though and, as Hickey says...
OMSE built the Fiesta for Gymkhana 3 and also the first Fiesta he raced with in Rally America which I believe he also ran in the X-Games 2010. In 2011 when he competed in WRC he switched from OMSE to M-sport, having the HFHV built by M-Sport for use in Rally America, rallycross and Gymkhana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I'm really keen to see what the actual car looks like now, as all the images thus far look like renders rather than a real car (and the quote in that article states that Block is yet to even drive it). Have to say I'm still uncertain on how well the bigger Focus will stack up against the competition but, as said above, it looks like they have put a lot of development into it.
I actually think it will look almost exactly like the images. I mean the M-Sport Fiesta for example looks far more aerodynamic and "advanced" compared to the OMSE Fiesta, they are not very similar.

When one think about it will be the first "real" manufacture commitment in the WRX yet. But also I have my doubts on the Focus as mentioned before. Cannot be easy swinging that thing around on a tighter track.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 13:14 (Ref:3619531)   #317
USRallycross
Racer

United States
Minnesota (the True North)
USRallycross should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good luck to Ken!

As I have said before on here you couldn't find a nicer bloke. Sure he isn't the 'man' but he didn't start competing until his mid-thirties. For a self-made man living the dream I think he's doing pretty well and he is a marketing genius.

There is no doubt he has the speed. He still lacks the experience. I know it sounds strange but think how many events Timmy has run in his young life let alone Petter. IMHO Ken struggles with that 6th sense of where to be and where not to be that comes with having raced longer.

I am pleased to see him in WRX and out of the crash-fest that GRC has become the last three years.

He is also passionate about rally and rallycross to the extent that he convinced his wife Lucy to take up rallying and she runs a few event each year.

It will be interesting to see how he compares with Andreas. AB is a very complete talent and in the right car a world champion. So can the old guy beat him???

Mark
Old 3 Mar 2016, 13:17 (Ref:3619532)   #318
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
Obviously René Münnich takes part in the WTCC. There are six (!!!) date clashs with WRX. Maybe Reinis will get a different teammate?
Old 3 Mar 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3619655)   #319
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
If I am right informed now, René will tackle the whole World RX season. He will be replaced in the WTCC when there are date clashes.
Old 5 Mar 2016, 13:24 (Ref:3620206)   #320
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we expecting a campaign from the JRM Minis this year? Hope Guy Wilks secures a seat
Old 5 Mar 2016, 15:07 (Ref:3620223)   #321
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebby View Post
Are we expecting a campaign from the JRM Minis this year? Hope Guy Wilks secures a seat
I thought Guerlain Chicherit had already made reference to another Mini drive at Loheac, though I can't see any posts/tweets relating to it? The early press releases from JRM last year repeatedly stated that the 2015 season was a prelude to a full campaign in 2016, we will surely hear something soon if that's still the case.

Wilks was great to watch at Lydden last year, would be excellent if we could see more of him. I expect JRM have had to do a lot on that car during the off season though, so hopefully it can still be competitive.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 09:05 (Ref:3620818)   #322
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When's the media day?.... Presumably when all the guessing will stop and we will know who is doing what
Old 7 Mar 2016, 11:53 (Ref:3620863)   #323
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
ERC24 tweeted that some minutes ago:
Where is @Heikkinen57 headed for 2016? Topi (yesterday): "News coming quite soon"... #WorldRX #Mazda
Old 7 Mar 2016, 19:57 (Ref:3620989)   #324
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New driver too Olsberg Kyzysztof Holowczyc

Last edited by Barrie; 7 Mar 2016 at 20:08.
Old 7 Mar 2016, 23:19 (Ref:3621055)   #325
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
If you ahve Holowycz on the entry there HAS to be a round in Poland.

He is almost as popular over there as Kubica is! And it is scandalous to not have a round in a place where rallycross was starting to grow