Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Jul 2006, 03:37 (Ref:1651859)   #1
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What would you do if you were VESA/TEGA?

Here is my tweaks if I was the head of VESA/TEGA for 2007;

Drop the reverse grids
Put in a control chassis
Bring a softer type of Dunlop tyre for more grip
Bring in a sequential gearbox to cut some costs
Lossen the noose on testing with a month and a half worth of test days at any track you want with new tyres
With some street race rounds have a race at night
No sponsors covering the whole of the headlights or any colours aswell.

what would you guys do if you were in charge?
Old 10 Jul 2006, 04:24 (Ref:1651872)   #2
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No RG (already confirmed)
Sprinklers on 2 corners
pop-up pedestrians on the track
Compulsory Grid Girls
More permanent toilets
paved paddocks for supports
FA18's for all rounds

Apart from that, why change cars, parity is parity.
If you want driver skill to remain as the key element to success then retain H gearbox, keep tyres relatively hard, remove some aero effect while maintaining wings (maybe introduce a flatter maximum wing angle = no modification cost and increases braking distances)
OH!, you want real racing, then points only for top 15.

Making cars easier to drive (soft tyres, seq gbx) will make passing even harder as less mistakes will happen under pressure.

Unfortunately most track designs limit overtaking opportunities by having defendable corners everywhere.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 04:36 (Ref:1651878)   #3
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davester
No RG (already confirmed)
Sprinklers on 2 corners
pop-up pedestrians on the track
Compulsory Grid Girls
More permanent toilets
paved paddocks for supports
FA18's for all rounds

Old 10 Jul 2006, 04:36 (Ref:1651879)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
change the points system, bigger gaps at the top, smaller gaps at the bottom

a bigger mix of rounds, some mini enduros, some short sprints, some CPS , some CPS rounds and some rounds with short heats and a final (maybe 10 laps races for fields of 8

get rid of qualifying, jsut have a random order of starting

stop cars driving down the inside line (instance penalty)

on track sin bin ( so we can serve a genuine stop go)

push to pass button

oh and compulsory grids girls and Fa18s for each round
Old 10 Jul 2006, 05:02 (Ref:1651887)   #5
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
change the points system, bigger gaps at the top, smaller gaps at the bottom

a bigger mix of rounds, some mini enduros, some short sprints, some CPS , some CPS rounds and some rounds with short heats and a final (maybe 10 laps races for fields of 8

get rid of qualifying, jsut have a random order of starting

stop cars driving down the inside line (instance penalty)

on track sin bin ( so we can serve a genuine stop go)

push to pass button

oh and compulsory grids girls and Fa18s for each round

And people complain about a percieved lack of passing, and Peck wants to halve the amount of places you can squeeze past.

SHEESH.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 05:25 (Ref:1651892)   #6
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 MOST IMPORTANT CHANGES (That I would make)

-No Reverse Grid

-Mix of race weekend formats

-Increase in the number of franchises available (up to 34)

-Scrap the Shootout except for enduros and Adelaide.

-New points system (needs a thread of it's own to explain properly)
Old 10 Jul 2006, 05:30 (Ref:1651894)   #7
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Peck, dont they already do "push to pass".

A seriously good idea though.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 05:53 (Ref:1651897)   #8
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
Drop the reverse grids
Put in a control chassis
Lossen the noose on testing with a month and a half worth of test days at any track you want with new tyres
Agree except for the testing and the headlights. I quite like some of the ways people come up with advertising there. For testing, i'd just give rookie's 50% more days than currently allowed.

I'd also get 19" wheels, which are 14" wide at the back.
Change the rear diff to something that isnt permanently locked
Return to 2003 race format
MotoGP style points
Old 10 Jul 2006, 05:56 (Ref:1651900)   #9
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
And people complain about a percieved lack of passing, and Peck wants to halve the amount of places you can squeeze past.

SHEESH.
ok i can see the confusion. i think i meant stop people blocking by driving down the inside line, obviously when you are attemptinga a pass you would be able to take that line.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1651935)   #10
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would take the current crop of VESA officials out the back and blow them all away - and then start a RACING series for V8 engined locally available vehicles , officialdom would be paid as would all track services personnel - I would make it as professional as possible .
Old 10 Jul 2006, 08:18 (Ref:1651984)   #11
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
were legalising murder as well are we Xrystl?

the rest are good points though
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1652022)   #12
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The points system would be my main priority, probably using the World Superbike points system.
Then would come a cost reduction program for the cars and limit the number of team members allowed per team.
Next would be that all races would be long distance races except at a few tracks that would not be suitable and then they would be still two driver races with one driver each running one race and the third would be a driver change race.
There are plenty of other things i would change but i don't have time to go through them all.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 09:51 (Ref:1652061)   #13
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, points HAS TO BE THE PRIORITY!!
Incentive for going for the win (heck, even the podium!) with a good points structure is a must.
I quite like the MotoGP format myself. Good spread of points and does'nt pay someone for crossing the line 20somethingth...
How do the points work in World Superbike?

Get rid of CPS's if they are not needed. The only time you should stop for fuel or tyres is when you have to!! Add's a bit of stragegy to the game. Get rid of the current 'everyone pit on lap 3 the quickest' mentallity. Does nothing but confuse the race.

I know there are plenty more, but those two top the list IMO.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 10:00 (Ref:1652067)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Drop the reverse grids
V8SA must be listening.....

Quote:
Put in a control chassis
Nobody wants this but the NASCAR fetishists. The marketers at Holden and Ford are certainly not on the same page as V8SA with this concept...

Quote:
Its more than a softer tyre... the real issue here is that the Bridgestones were a phenomenal race tyre, with a significant performance window... while the Dunlops (according to someone who should know) have evolved into a very hard wearing (read: rock hard) unit.

There is a possibility to have an 'option' tyre, like in ChampCar, with different coloured sidewalls to show all and sundry what tyres the cars are using. The only way this would work would be for the tyre company to provide a set allocation of tyres for a weekend, then reclaim them at the end of the weekend.

If you thought about it, if the tyre representative was required to be present at every test day, to supply rubber, then there would be no repeat of the Woomera scenario, as there would be no tyres to run on....

Quote:
Makes sense to convert the current gearbox to a sequential shift. If you use a sequential transmission, the teams have to retool and burn more budgets for zero sum gain.

More interesting however might be the development of the MoTeC engine control unit to include some level of shift cut/auto blip to reduce the non-synchronisation of the engine speed and road speed when banging up and down the gearbox....

Quote:
Why put costs back into the system? Run test days/practice sessions on Fridays at each circuit and have zero test days... the runs at places like Winton have shown that a team with its act together can make progress during a race weekend, and gain some knowledge about their cars for improvements at the circuit they race at, as opposed to banging around the same test circuit they have for 10 years.....

Quote:
Makes sense... but you need to understand how this would work. At the Eastern Creek 12 hour, a certain multiple Bathurst winner was dazzled by lights on a car on a different part of the track, and wrecked his Mazda Rx7 because of the other cars..... where the circuits cross over on themselves (like Oran Park) this may be difficult to achieve safely....

Quote:
I dont like signs on the roof much either, but if the night thing is to work, the headlights need to be uncovered. Some teams had part of their taill lights covered with logos as well... which is not going to work in the night racing scenario....

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmookeyj033
Mix of race weekend formats
A mix of different race formats sounds like a good way to test the cars and the drivers... in single long races, in 2 driver races, sprint rounds, night races... why not do that kind of thing, assuming you can equalise the points scenario neatly, and have the V8SA mob sign in blood that the scheme will NOT change once it is written into the year's regulations!!

Quote:
Increase in the number of franchises available (up to 34)
I would prefer to add a single car and make it a 32 car grid again, 16x Holdens and 16x Fords... 34 cars is likely to leave us with an odd number of each....

Quote:
Scrap the Shootout except for enduros and Adelaide.
The Tooheys Top Gun and Hardies Heroes before it was a Bathurst only feature..... I would prefer to kill it everywhere except Bathurst, but that is only the purist's view...

Quote:
New points system (needs a thread of it's own to explain properly)
Totally agree, but need to balance the need for everyone to be a winner and get a prize, as something to be shared with sponsors.... I dont think a car coming 16th and getting zero points as has been suggested here is the right approach

You could also sex up the points by allowing a passing points award, one for pole position, most laps led etc etc.... to allow other cars a shot as well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Change the rear diff to something that isnt permanently locked
There is no real reason not to do this except the rule should include a restriction on active differentials.... all diffs should be passive... and not electronically controlled ala WRC... a $10k diff centre could soon become a $100k demon tweak centre if not tightly controlled....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I'd also get 19" wheels, which are 14" wide at the back.
You could easily change the front to rear tyres sizes if the tyre contractor brings the tyres to the track, then takes them all away again afterwards.

I would have thought fat rear tyres and narrower front tyres might just be a serious understeer inducer... which the current drivers/teams complain about right now....

My list isnt that long but here goes:
- Establish a single 'factory' source of engines for each make (SBR for Ford, TWPG for Holden) and allow everyone running that marque to run from the pool of engines at a contracted price. Allows teams to remove the engine building equipment from the capital budgets....
- Establish a single 'factory' source of aerodynamic kits and body panels for each make and allow everyone running that marque to use the same equipment. Allows teams to remove the carbon fibre autoclave costs from the capital budgets.... and also to make sure the profiles of the cars are the same (take a look a the profile of an FPR front quarter against an SBR version... chalk & cheese)
- Appoint independent members to the TEGA board that do not have any Holden or Ford affiliations. Persons with strong legal and commercial backgrounds to adequately independently assess any discussions that come before the TEGA board, including the activities of V8SA
- Appoint a new TEGA chairman.... one that has worked within the operations of both Holden and Ford teams and knows his apples from his oranges (or cookies...)
- Increase the number of rounds to 20, a mixture or local and international rounds.... coordinated to ensure minimum time for teams to be without their chassis and equipment.
- Operate every second weekend like clockwork, except for Bathurst which would get 3 weeks break between Sandown & Bathurst, just like the old days.
- Start Bathurst at 10am Sunday, just like Ivan Stibbard used to do!! Bring back Ivan!!
- Purchase a mobile portable timing board (like the old James Hardie tower) with 32 number spaces on it, for use at the circuits, so that the crowd can tell who is where in the field. Portable so it can be used at EVERY circuit...

....I am sure there is more....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Jul 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1652073)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is...

- Remove the Watermarks from the pictures on V8Supercar.com.au!!!
- Make the pictures on V8Supercar.com.au downloadable again...!!!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 10 Jul 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1652082)   #16
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
There is no real reason not to do this except the rule should include a restriction on active differentials.... all diffs should be passive... and not electronically controlled ala WRC... a $10k diff centre could soon become a $100k demon tweak centre if not tightly controlled....
Perhaps a sole supplier could be established, much like how Holinger are responsible for the gearboxes.

Quote:
You could easily change the front to rear tyres sizes if the tyre contractor brings the tyres to the track, then takes them all away again afterwards.

I would have thought fat rear tyres and narrower front tyres might just be a serious understeer inducer... which the current drivers/teams complain about right now....
The understeer was the main reason i want to get rid of the locked diffs. Ive heard a couple of people talk about the car setup compromised to enable the cars to turn in. Im sure the drivers would like having the cars more manageable if theyre not battling a understeer-oversteer setup. Could also help international drivers have some success.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1652132)   #17
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
were legalising murder as well are we Xrystl?

the rest are good points though
You sound worried Peckstar.... are you a VESA official?????
Old 10 Jul 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1652134)   #18
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
You sound worried Peckstar.... are you a VESA official?????
Sometimes you do wonder.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 11:13 (Ref:1652143)   #19
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
....- Appoint independent members to the TEGA board that do not have any Holden or Ford affiliations. Persons with strong legal and commercial backgrounds to adequately independently assess any discussions that come before the TEGA board, including the activities of V8SA....
Maybe an accountant, who drives a Mitsubishi????? No more need to lurk in powder rooms then!
Old 10 Jul 2006, 11:26 (Ref:1652155)   #20
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete55
Sometimes you do wonder.

SHHHH.

Peckstar is actually Ray Robbins' cousin........

Last edited by Uncle Cranker; 10 Jul 2006 at 11:27. Reason: speallng errar
Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:36 (Ref:1652999)   #21
woodbine
Veteran

Australia
Peterborough
woodbine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Bathurst & Sandown removed from the championship and run for prize money. Then you wouldn't get a situation like last year where Rusty said that he wouldn't try and win if it meant risking his championship.

Running the races as stand-alones would also allow them to be opened up to all-comers. This would return some of the spirit of Bathurst and improve the show.
Old 10 Jul 2006, 22:50 (Ref:1653014)   #22
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Appologise for over a decade of garbage & bring back Group A or C, either is fine along with a proper points system with an increasing margin towards the front & that only rewards the top 15 finishers.
Only have longer races, sprints are for TV stations not fans.
Announce a public flogging of the Cockroach at each round for the season for sins against motorsport.
Old 11 Jul 2006, 00:10 (Ref:1653049)   #23
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
In no particular order:

- NO reverse grids (done)
- NO Channel 10 (done)
- NO compulsory pit stops
- Choice of tyre compunds (same manufacturer) , maybe 3 or 4 ... once you choose, you are stuck with them.
- 20 rounds ... if you cannot afford to run, sell up and get out
- 10 rounds = sprint races x 3, 10 rounds = endurance (1 race of at least 400km)
- Most points in sprints = sprint champion, most points in endurance = endurance champion, also have Qualifying points to decide Qualifier Champ as well as overall Title winner (most points all-up. THAT keeps drivers/teams going for something.
- Points system = 25, 20, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 = reward winners/podiums
- Reduction in aero - you can do this without altering the "look" of the cars.
- Control brake pads/calipers ... less effective than current.
- On track Rules = if you choose to block (i.e. driving down the middle or inside of the road a la Tander), you will be shown a blue flag twice then you either yield or the guy behind can move you without penalty. In NASCAR, if you block and get spun, it is considered that you brought it on yourself - Good Rule.
- Pace car rules = when deployed, all cars hold station WHERE they are. CAN pit under Pace car if you choose.
- NO Ford or Holden affiliates (past or present) adjudicate on Parity, rules or stewards.
- Remove the Rev Limiter ... if you blow it up, you blow it up.
- No limit on suspension pick up points

That should do it....
Old 11 Jul 2006, 01:05 (Ref:1653059)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If i was VESA/TEGA i'd bury the whole thing and start again, it's all come too far along it's current path for any 'tweaking' to make much difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Announce a public flogging of the Cockroach at each round for the season for sins against motorsport.
And they think they have record crowds now
Old 11 Jul 2006, 03:42 (Ref:1653105)   #25
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always thought the development series should run all their races at the same venues as the main series.
From there, let the development guys try and qualify for the main series (capping the main grid size at 34). If you are fast enough to make it in, great, if not you run the rest of you're weekend in the lower class.
It seems crazy that some guys in the lower class are running times that could possibly put them in top 20 of the main series (remember Dean Canto last year, even with 100kg extra!!) Reward these guys!!

Thoughts??