Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Dec 2002, 18:50 (Ref:453651)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tags the odd man out?

An article in today's Globe and Mail seems to put doubt on Alex Tagliani getting a ride anywhere.., It mentions that Newmann-Haas is out for Tags (guess Zonta or Fogarty will get that one), and he doesn't mention Rocketsports at all...

The article also mentions that Alex thinks a number of teams are delaying their announcements of second cars in an attempt to milk Cart for what it's worth as they know that they need teams to field two cars to get a full grid in St. Petes. That's pretty nasty, but I guess it's a good thing there'll be second cars.

Here's the article:
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...e_temp/3/3/13/
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Dec 2002, 20:06 (Ref:453709)   #2
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can a team NOT pick Tags? He's free for next year?
Old 19 Dec 2002, 20:41 (Ref:453740)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, that's one way you can look at it....

another way is that he doesn't bring any money to the team as some others would...
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Dec 2002, 21:39 (Ref:453775)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hadn't thought of it that way round, but its a good point- Pat Patrick, after the loss of Tecate when Adrian went, signed Jimmy Vasser, who's salary was paid by Chip Ganassi, and ended up running the car out of his own pocket for the whole season, with no significant success, and got stuck with only 1 car for 2002.

This said, Rocketsports' sponsorship is lined up and appears not to be driver-specific, so maybe he'll get that. Maybe he didn't mention them because its not his first choice, and he wants to see what other offers he can get.

Interesting point about second cars, presumably relating to Rahal, Patrick, Herdez, Newman Haas etc.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 21:48 (Ref:453779)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard some rumours about that incentive money and some rather high-handed dealings with some teams in that regard. I suppose it depends on whether you are the team principal or the guy handing out the money though ...

Tags better start being humble and polite or he's going to find himself lined up next to Jacques on the People We'd Rather Do Without Thanks list. No one is required to hire him.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 04:49 (Ref:453956)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be a shame, however, if he wasn't picked up for a ride. There is no doubting his talents behind the wheel and frankly I'm surprised he hasn't got a seat yet.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 05:25 (Ref:453968)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tag didn't really shine last year, he was pretty lackluster. Pat kind of overshadowed him. Where does a guy like that go without a CART ride? You'd think a start up team would jump at the chance to pick him up, so maybe we'll just have to wait to hear the news.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 05:38 (Ref:453975)   #8
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he's off to Rocketsports
Old 20 Dec 2002, 06:34 (Ref:453991)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
With Rocketsports, it's kind of a lose/lose situation for the fans. If Tags gets the ride, it also means that Papis doesn't. Same situation at N/Haas.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 06:50 (Ref:454002)   #10
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that choice, I'd put Papis in the seat. Then again, I don't run a racing team.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 07:13 (Ref:454009)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Papis, Tagliani, Vasser, Moreno, Zonta, Bourdais, Manning, Barron, Yoong...
The list goes on. There's no shortage of talent.
Old 20 Dec 2002, 07:13 (Ref:454011)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
In that last post, perhaps I should have used the word "talent" before the name "Yoong"?
Old 20 Dec 2002, 08:56 (Ref:454055)   #13
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
we'll have to wait and see won't we. I think we've all bashed Yoong enough and the guy hasn't yet turned a wheel in Champcars.
Hey its my 500th post
Old 20 Dec 2002, 08:56 (Ref:454056)   #14
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
a veteren at last!

Old 23 Dec 2002, 02:12 (Ref:455882)   #15
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tags needs a seat. CART needs Tags to have a seat.

There are still possible places at Fernandez and Patrick.
Old 23 Dec 2002, 15:51 (Ref:456203)   #16
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's wrong with Players?

Tag said that he, and even his manager, have lost
contact with Players...
Old 24 Dec 2002, 19:30 (Ref:456937)   #17
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Evilsenna
What's wrong with Players?

Tag said that he, and even his manager, have lost
contact with Players...
Players signed PT instead. Under the agreement with the gov't, tobacco companies cannot expand their sponsorship of sporting events. 2003 is the last year they will be sponsoring sporting events so they want to go out with a bang.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 18:09 (Ref:457728)   #18
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still don't see why you wouldn't sign a free driver for your first team and then use a driver with funding to start a second team. Tags has wins on his resume and he's free. That's enough incentive to hire him for me.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 18:39 (Ref:457734)   #19
19000RPM
Rookie

United States
Naples FL & Atlanta GA
19000RPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, Tags does not have wins on his resume (in CART at least). And like others have said before, other drivers bring sponsorship money to the table, so being free doesn't necessary guarantee him a ride. Nevertheless, he's proved to be a driver capable of competing with the front runners and it'd be a shame to see him on the sidelines next season (kind of like Max Papis last season).

-Jeremy
Old 26 Dec 2002, 18:51 (Ref:457739)   #20
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I looked and he doesn't have any wins...I'm flabbergasted. Shame on me. In that case, screw him. Even Dominguez has a win.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 21:41 (Ref:457815)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd hire Dominguez if I could get him for free. And if I could change his haircut.
Old 26 Dec 2002, 22:25 (Ref:457834)   #22
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The point is that Tagliani has the speed to have wins. He's proved that on countless occasions. Only to have it ripped from him by either making a stupid mistake (Rio) or mechanical failure (Elkhart Lake, Surfers).
Old 27 Dec 2002, 04:33 (Ref:457949)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: mechanical failures, don't forget Vancouver 2001. And he should have won Toronto that year, but Mikey got some horseshoes from somewhere...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 27 Dec 2002, 09:01 (Ref:458019)   #24
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tagliani is worthy of a drive, no doubt.

As has been mentioned above why wouldn't a team sign a free driver. Having said that though he could probably get a drive in a lower order team if he wanted
Old 27 Dec 2002, 11:18 (Ref:458075)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I now expect Papis to get the Rocketsports drive, and Tags to have to look elsewhere. Teams like Walker have showed the reality, by signing two rookies with poor records but lots of cash, suggesting that Tags will need outside sponsorship to get a drive.