Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Sep 2004, 14:21 (Ref:1089987)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Laguna Seca on TSN

This, my friends, is rather ridiculous.

TSN is only broadcasting Laguna once...
And that's at 12:30 AM Sunday night / Monday morning!
What's more... It's only slotted for 90 minutes!

You sure wouldn't know that ChampCars are popular in Canada, judging by the way our national sports network treats it!

Signed,
Frustrated
Old 8 Sep 2004, 14:26 (Ref:1089992)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
macdaddy - we always need bakers in Britain - come over and you can watch it live!
Old 8 Sep 2004, 14:30 (Ref:1089995)   #3
Cowboy
Racer

Canada
Alberta, Canada
Cowboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am in 100 % complete agreement with you Macdaddy. The pitiful excuse for sports coverage called TSN is a complete letdown. I mean give me a fricken break, there are 3 Canadians in the series, all 3 are in the top 5 in the point standings, all 3 are from the east, and yet TSN will show something stupid like golf. Not to mention that they are going to screw up my favorite race of the season.

I better stop before I start swearing.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1090005)   #4
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem is that TSN has contracts to cover too many spots on their schedule so they're always going to chose the one with the highest ratings. This means we get the shaft. Logically one would think CBC would be smart to pick it up because the ratings are good for them and particularly the Canadian nationalism angle as it's a gov't network. Global's schedule is pretty open on weekends too and they've covered it nicely. For that matter, what does CTV (owner of TSN) run on sundays? My fingers are crossed that one of these guys picks it up.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 14:51 (Ref:1090009)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I could get over the fact that it's being delayed.
It doesn't make me happy, but at least I'd get to watch the race.
What really irks me here, is that they're chopping it down to 90 mins!
If they're not showing the same broadcast as Spike is, the CRTC shouldn't force a blackout!
Old 8 Sep 2004, 16:05 (Ref:1090072)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I'm gonna try to get over to a buddy's, who has an American satelitte dish. If that plan doesn't pan out, then this weekend will be a great time to try YokeTV.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1090081)   #7
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mac you mean JokeTV. I have tried it 3 times and not once has it worked. What I am saying is don't bank on it so your buddy's is your best bet!
Old 8 Sep 2004, 16:53 (Ref:1090099)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have yet to hear from anyone who's made yoketv work.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 18:29 (Ref:1090176)   #9
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It worked great for me on the first race they did and it has been nothing short of garbage ever since.

Sorry, that was way off topic and so is the fact that my office overlooks I-80 and so far this morning I have seen two Champ Car and one Trans-Am transporter go by on their way to Laguna Seca. I leave in the morning and intend to chase them down.

Last edited by Flatspot; 8 Sep 2004 at 18:33.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 18:37 (Ref:1090185)   #10
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Old 9 Sep 2004, 14:03 (Ref:1090888)   #11
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Well, you can of course follow it live through the Chat Room - we'll be watching and discussing it in there so will shout if anything happens
Old 9 Sep 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1090913)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Never one to miss the chance for some promotion of the chatroom, Aspwell!

I can endorse that too - it's always a good way to discuss the race as it happens.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:22 (Ref:1090994)   #13
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snrub
The problem is that TSN has contracts to cover too many spots on their schedule so they're always going to chose the one with the highest ratings. This means we get the shaft. Logically one would think CBC would be smart to pick it up because the ratings are good for them and particularly the Canadian nationalism angle as it's a gov't network. Global's schedule is pretty open on weekends too and they've covered it nicely. For that matter, what does CTV (owner of TSN) run on sundays? My fingers are crossed that one of these guys picks it up.
Although Global does well with the 3 Canadian races, I'm afraid the ratings for the other events are so poor in Canada that any major broadcaster would be hard pressed to pick up the coverage, especially in prime-time.

Ted
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:40 (Ref:1091017)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The other races would get decent ratings if they were shown at a reasonable time. Last year they were weren't great, but they were atleast okay. This year TSN has tape delayed almost every race to ridiculous times. The only people watching the non-Canadian CART races are diehards like us.

Have you ever attempted to watch CBC? From a quality of programming perspective, other than the news they might as well be the women's network!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1091043)   #15
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Sportsnet a part of the TSN family? They don't have much in the way of programming. Champ Car should actively look at getting their product on Sportsnet.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 9 Sep 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1091096)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I take it you have have contacted TSN and told them your anger and disapointment.

Looks like KB we shall have to perswade Sky digital to take their market to Canada.

Our dear Champ Car friends are being made to go through is a joke.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1091102)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Trying to contact TSN is nothing but a waste of effort, as has been evidenced time after time. They won't even reply.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 19:55 (Ref:1091225)   #18
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Macdaddy, I think it would be wiser if we contacted Sportsnet or even The Score......TSN has got to go!

Last edited by Dov; 9 Sep 2004 at 20:00.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 05:42 (Ref:1091572)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Okay... I'll do exactly that. One email may not help, but then again it certainly won't hurt! Earlier in the season I emailed Global about this subject, I've been firing them off to TSN and CART for years.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:17 (Ref:1091878)   #20
Heidi
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne
Heidi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
macdaddy,

CC the email to Channel 10 in Australia, we still don't get the coverage until Monday night/tuesday morning.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1091893)   #21
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And sometimes we had to wait for pathetic brother to finish and that was 1:30 tuesday morning.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1092320)   #22
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PG says that the contract with TSN ends after this season. Placing the series with a network that will show the races in real time will be one of the considerations for a new deal (according to PG in Cleveland).

The problem is the ratings are low so TSN does not really worry about ChampCar fans.
Old 11 Sep 2004, 05:00 (Ref:1092564)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
So what you're saying is that NOW is the time to start firing off letters and/or emails? To CBC, Global and OWRS?

Get on it, fellow Canucks!!!
Old 12 Sep 2004, 14:30 (Ref:1094070)   #24
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Yoke-TV seems to be offline right now.

Bezz posted a link for us recently, perhaps we can watch the race live on the Brazilian website RedeTV? Try clicking on the TV icon at the very top of the page.
Old 12 Sep 2004, 15:19 (Ref:1094111)   #25
BizTeacher
Rookie

BizTeacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm extremely frustrated with TSN's coverage of CCWS as of late. I also took the initiative to voice my displeasure to the TSN staff but did not receive a reply. I've given up on TSN and have opted to purchase Race Director to watch the qualifying and the races live. My roomate and I hook up the labtop to the TV and watch the race. The picture quality isn't perfect, but it's good enough. I'm fiscally responsible but a few bucks to watch something you are passionate about is, in my humble opinion, a good investment. So, why not purchase Race Director if you have I-net access?