Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Oct 2012, 07:45 (Ref:3159986)   #126
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah he's reportedly far from one of the most popular drivers on the grid, even within Force India itself.

He's solid but nothing special. He'll surely have a third season at FI next season but fail to stamp any kind of authority on Sutil/Alguersuari/whoever he's partnered with and he'll be gone. Interesting that Sutil ended 2011 with quite a big upper hand on Paul despite having started it on the back foot.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 08:37 (Ref:3160007)   #127
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnickFTW View Post
I think thats spot-on actually. I literally have never heard an outraced or an outqualified Paul just putting his hand up and say, yea I didnt quite manage that lap/race the way I wanted. There is always something about the car. I mean every driver carries a big book of excuses with them, but Paul is just notorious for it, and that coupled with his usually kinda grumpy mood.... it doesnt have "marketable guy" written all over it (and it can possibly put him in an awkward place with the team too)
I've been saying this about di Resta for ages. He definitely has a place in F1, but I don't see what top team he could slot into into now.

In saying that, I do feel sorry for him as he has been royally screwed over by Mercedes now with Lewis joining the factory team. I'm sure he's a bit bitter about that, and Perez (and possibly Hulkenberg) jumping head of him into bigger teams.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 11:19 (Ref:3160068)   #128
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
I've been saying this about di Resta for ages. He definitely has a place in F1, but I don't see what top team he could slot into into now.

In saying that, I do feel sorry for him as he has been royally screwed over by Mercedes now with Lewis joining the factory team. I'm sure he's a bit bitter about that, and Perez (and possibly Hulkenberg) jumping head of him into bigger teams.
I think people are being very harsh personally. Ok he might not have the charming likeable persona of Nico, but since when did that matter? The two of them have been incredibly close in performance this season, far closer than any other F1 pairing, but DiResta has been on the receiving end of a little bad luck, or poor strategy calls if you prefer to blame the team.

I can't see how another season at FI will hurt? He's being paid, has a solid car and we all know how quickly things change in Formula One. So I'm sure it's far from over for him just yet. It's not that long ago people were writing off Button as a lost cause....

Nico moving to Sauber sounds really strange to me. Not at all sure that will happen. If it's a strategic move to close a Ferrari seat down the line fair enough, if it's a higher paycheque then again it's fine, but otherwise it makes little sense to me. We'll know soon enough I guess.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 15:34 (Ref:3160177)   #129
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post

I'm not sure that you can say he's been screwed over by Mercades. What would you expect Merc to do? They have the oppertunity to sign one of the 3 "top drivers", or Di Resta who is currently being beaten by his team mate? As for Perez, while not always being in the points he has done some special drives, i can full see why McLaren went for him.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3161100)   #130
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
is Anthony Hamilton still his manager?

granted a Merc seat was never his and without knowing the internal politics i think i would feel more than a little screwed over if my manager's son got the seat i was hoping for.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 15:21 (Ref:3161104)   #131
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this made me think a bit less of him. granted, it's probably expected of him to say such things, particularly when there's not a huge number of options around...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103904

Quote:
"I was surprised that Nico left this team, to be fair, for an immediate competitor," said di Resta in Abu Dhabi on Thursday.

"I don't see it as being a step up, to be perfectly honest. I see it as an equal kind of status.

"Long term where you see this team is going, I think it is probably better [at Force India]."

"There is progression, and the way this team is structured and going forward, I am content where I am."
Old 1 Nov 2012, 15:23 (Ref:3161105)   #132
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No he fired Hamilton as his manager during the summer under er....somewhat contentious circumstances. The matter is apparently due in Court.

He's now got the same management team as Jenson.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3161109)   #133
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
is Anthony Hamilton still his manager?
Di Resta's now managed by same people as Button is.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3161111)   #134
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
this made me think a bit less of him. granted, it's probably expected of him to say such things, particularly when there's not a huge number of options around...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/103904
HA Ha what's funny about that article is that Ed Straw of Autosprout actually hasn't got any better idea of why Nico is moving than we all have!

It's a strange move, certainly can't be performance related or because Sauber have a "better factory" but I guess all will be come clear later.

My best guess is it's a Ferrari deal in the offing, that's the only thing that makes sense.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3161116)   #135
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks Flavio and touringlegend

just reading about it now. AH is suing Di Resta for wrongful termination over a sponsorship deal that never came to be...nothing at all to suggest it had anything to do with LH getting the merc seat.

now that my work is done here, i guess i'll just go somewhere else to hint at wild conspiracy theories...shouldn't be too hard on an F1 forum!
Old 1 Nov 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3161124)   #136
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post

He's now got the same management team as Jenson.
Isn't Jenson effectively Paul's manager? Although he wouldn't have direct involvement, doesn't Jenson own one half of the company ?
Old 1 Nov 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3161143)   #137
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Isn't Jenson effectively Paul's manager? Although he wouldn't have direct involvement, doesn't Jenson own one half of the company ?
Yes he's an owner/partner.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3172716)   #138
Mr V
Veteran

England
Given that Nico was "oh so close" to a (possible) win in Brazil while Paul was languishing in the lower points scoring places (at best??), the fact that Sergio is now at Mac, Lewis at Merc (the 2 obvious seats that Paul may have got) then there's the Nico to Ferrari via Sauber rumour, i honestly don't see a bright future for the Scotsman.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3172742)   #139
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Given that Nico was "oh so close" to a (possible) win in Brazil while Paul was languishing in the lower points scoring places (at best??), the fact that Sergio is now at Mac, Lewis at Merc (the 2 obvious seats that Paul may have got) then there's the Nico to Ferrari via Sauber rumour, i honestly don't see a bright future for the Scotsman.
Hulkenburg had the edge in the second half of the season but I think the Brazil result is a bit skewed as I'm sure I read somewhere that they were running split strategies to cover the various weather scenarios - Hulkenburg got the one that turned out to be right. But Di Resta has certainly **** out as far as the plum drives go - I think the 'Lewis to Merc' thing caught him (and others) on the hop - if Michael had stayed on for another year I think Hulkenburg would have sat tight at FI and it would have been between him and Di Resta for the Merc seat in 2014. All speculation now though and Di Resta has to have a good season next year otherwise it's probably game over.
Old 28 Nov 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3172787)   #140
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't been that impressed with Di Resta, for me Hulkenberg has shown himself to be the better driver. He made a few errors in the race on Sunday admittedly, but it was still a great performance. I'm not sure Di Resta would get the praise he seems to get from our media if he wasn't British. His results are nothing special.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 12:26 (Ref:3173060)   #141
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He had his fair share of decent races. He was awesome in Singapore. But the problem is that over the last 4 or 5 races of the season Hulkenberg had much stronger results out of the two, wheras IIRC early in the season it was the other way around.
Old 29 Nov 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3173080)   #142
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
He had his fair share of decent races. He was awesome in Singapore. But the problem is that over the last 4 or 5 races of the season Hulkenberg had much stronger results out of the two, wheras IIRC early in the season it was the other way around.
He was pretty awesome in Bahrain as well. But hasn't really done anything else this year
Old 30 Nov 2012, 04:52 (Ref:3173374)   #143
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
It's still only his second season though and there's been flashes of brilliance in both. What he needs is consistency next year.
Old 2 Dec 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3174352)   #144
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It was indeed. In fact, I was surprised people weren't more critical in the first half. He seemed to go under the radar, but it's good to cut these drivers some slack seeing as they're all very good and mostly quite close on ability.

People are reactive sometimes though. After Briatore criticised Kovalainen's start with Renault, it seemed like so many on internet fora were also on his case.