Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 22 Feb 2014, 20:12 (Ref:3371098)   #176
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Why would any American build a Camaro / Mustang / Challenger body on a spec chassis?

Oh, wait...
Old 22 Feb 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3371115)   #177
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardfolk View Post
BTW DTM-A needs its own name... DTM-America just sounds dumb to me.
ATM (American Touring Masters)?
Old 22 Feb 2014, 20:58 (Ref:3371116)   #178
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Why would any American build a Camaro / Mustang / Challenger body on a spec chassis?

Oh, wait...
For the same reasons the Germans and Japanese did? To go racing under that ruleset?
Old 22 Feb 2014, 22:21 (Ref:3371127)   #179
Lizardfolk
Rookie

Taiwan
Lizardfolk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post

Oh, wait...
Yeah Americans have been doing that for ages in multiple series

Honestly the idea of a global series with these three combined together intrigues me.

Last edited by Lizardfolk; 22 Feb 2014 at 22:38.
Old 23 Feb 2014, 10:52 (Ref:3371216)   #180
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNo1F1Fan View Post
ATM (American Touring Masters)?
Trans Am ?
Old 23 Feb 2014, 10:58 (Ref:3371217)   #181
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Trans Am ?
Funny.
Old 24 Feb 2014, 06:24 (Ref:3371470)   #182
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Camaro, Mustang, Challenger...
I've seen references that silhouette racing (Trans Am) being popular in the States, and Trans Am was at its peak popularity in 1970, with Mustang, Camaro and Challenger... makes more sense to go that proven route than to go with less popular Cadillac, Lincoln, and Lexus.

But we are talking about US road racing, where very little sense is ever witnessed.
Old 27 Feb 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3372784)   #183
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Instag8or View Post
I've seen references that silhouette racing (Trans Am) being popular in the States, and Trans Am was at its peak popularity in 1970, with Mustang, Camaro and Challenger... makes more sense to go that proven route than to go with less popular Cadillac, Lincoln, and Lexus.

But we are talking about US road racing, where very little sense is ever witnessed.
That's why the only logical conclusion that ITR/NASCAR/IMSA should have bought Trans-Am and use pony cars instead of making a series from scratch. Then again, they're too busy to notice that!

On top of that, having a 2.0 liter turbocharged I4 engine on a pony doesn't seem right. ITR and GTA shouldn't restrict the engine regulations 'cause it's a big mistake on their part.

Last edited by MagVanisher; 27 Feb 2014 at 15:57.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 17:34 (Ref:3374982)   #184
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
That's why the only logical conclusion that ITR/NASCAR/IMSA should have bought Trans-Am and use pony cars instead of making a series from scratch. Then again, they're too busy to notice that!

On top of that, having a 2.0 liter turbocharged I4 engine on a pony doesn't seem right. ITR and GTA shouldn't restrict the engine regulations 'cause it's a big mistake on their part.
The 2015 Mustang will have a 2.3 litre turbo as the mid-range engine, and the old SVO Mustangs had turbo 4's. I think there was an early-80s silhouette Mustang with one as well.

The next Camaro will also likely have a turbo 4 in the line-up, so it makes sense. I just don't see the commercial logic in the series. It makes loads of sense for ITR to want it. But considerably less so for anyone to run it. The interview with the Grand-Am officials laid it out pretty well. They won't be spending money to bring it to North America. It will be up to the manufacturers to pony (sic) up the cash for the series. And I see no business case for one in the US market. It would be cool, but not viable.
Old 5 Mar 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3375130)   #185
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
To get the general public into the stands they're going to need big V8's, not tiny little 4 cylinder engines.

That's just the way she goes in the US.
Old 11 Mar 2014, 04:35 (Ref:3377302)   #186
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
To get the general public into the stands they're going to need big V8's, not tiny little 4 cylinder engines.

That's just the way she goes in the US.
Totally agree on that one. It might not be too late to modify the unified ruleset for 2015 or 2016, regarding the engine regulations.

Even though it might be a BoP nightmare, at least some US race fans would get noticed on those silhouette cars running on howling V8s, other than screaming turbo I4s. Engine diversity is the key.
Old 16 Nov 2014, 13:49 (Ref:3475438)   #187
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GTA Co., Ltd chairman Masaaki Bandoh: "For Super GT if the USA DTM style race takes place without US manufacturers [...] then it has no value for us.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3476068)   #188
MagVanisher
Veteran

Well, DTM USA is pretty much dead if no US manufacturer is involved. Besides, both Ford and GM are busy with NASCAR and TUSC, plus Pirelli World Challenge.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 17:20 (Ref:3476281)   #189
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Weak excuse. If you are convinced your series is so good you would race without American manufacturers.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 08:40 (Ref:3476483)   #190
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Weak excuse. If you are convinced your series is so good you would race without American manufacturers.
Not really. It's not about good racing, it's about beating your opponents. Racing is mostly paid from marketing budgets, whats the point of spending those if you're only repeating results from Japan or Germany? I also doubt that Americans will be interested in an 'import-only' series, they'll want their own American Iron in there to cheer for as well.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3477199)   #191
MagVanisher
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
I also doubt that Americans will be interested in an 'import-only' series, they'll want their own American Iron in there to cheer for as well.
If so, I expect IMSA to mismanage the Class One cars balance of performance in favor of American entries, especially GM.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3477399)   #192
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
If so, I expect IMSA to mismanage the Class One cars balance of performance in favor of American entries, especially GM.
Can that even happen with such a tight ruleset as is class 1? Okay, maybe IMSA will allow "their boys" to use big stock-block V8s or something like that, who knows?
Old 22 Nov 2014, 02:27 (Ref:3477452)   #193
MagVanisher
Veteran

It's no longer Class One if they stick a V8 instead of a turbocharged I4 Global Racing Engine.

Besides, DTM USA is dead on arrival if IMSA successfully implement manufacturer-specific bodywork onto LMP2, apart from bringing more spec into an already-spec LMP2 class.