Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Oct 2017, 14:30 (Ref:3773676)   #3151
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Midland Bank Milsom Street, that was the one at the top want it? It's now a Loch Fyne fish restaurant. Nat West is a trendy wine bar. Barclays has closed too.

It was a fascinating place to work. Not because of the job itself which was deadly dull, but I was sometimes required to go into the cellars and find the deeds of buildings, paperwork which often stretched back to the Georgian period. Interesting to a frustrated historian such as me. And the building itself was a fine multi-storied Georgian place.

Happy days? Not quite, I couldn't wait to leave but probably the last time I had a regular job - I left in 1984!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
From memory Midland was about 1/3 of the way down the street but that was probably more or less the top as far as commercial properties for the likes of Banks were concerned.

ETA: Well, streetview tells me I am wrong and it's about 2/3 of the way down. Milsom Street used to be a proper street in those days. Looks rubbish now on Streetview.

The bowels of the old and usually purpose built banks were and still can be rather interesting.

Management has recently taken the retirement option when they closed the branch here. Not working in the place and not having to go down to the vaults several times a day seems to have improved her health somewhat and her general demeanour quite a lot.

Last edited by grantp; 11 Oct 2017 at 14:38. Reason: Correction
Old 11 Oct 2017, 16:15 (Ref:3773706)   #3152
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
Ah I was mixing the Midland up with Lloyds.

Old 11 Oct 2017, 16:43 (Ref:3773710)   #3153
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Ah I was mixing the Midland up with Lloyds.

What a banker!
Old 11 Oct 2017, 17:00 (Ref:3773712)   #3154
Colin McKay
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
The (seldom-seen) purist in me doesn't really like the S3 shape......an early 4.2 coupe however......
Sorry, a bit late to the party on this one - what the Beeb's article doesn't mention is that this car is one of only six S3 4.2's built, Jaguar's main market in the USA was not interested in the tiddler when they could have the V12 instead. Goes some way to explaining the optimistic estimate especially when 150K would get you a very VERY nice S1 3.8. It's an oddball.
Old 11 Oct 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3773722)   #3155
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Sorry, a bit late to the party on this one - what the Beeb's article doesn't mention is that this car is one of only six S3 4.2's built, Jaguar's main market in the USA was not interested in the tiddler when they could have the V12 instead. Goes some way to explaining the optimistic estimate especially when 150K would get you a very VERY nice S1 3.8. It's an oddball.
Ah, I wondered why it was priced so.... I'm surprised they built 6!
Old 11 Oct 2017, 20:18 (Ref:3773748)   #3156
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!midgetman has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
What a banker!
I'll have you know I have the distinction of being Associate of the Institute of Bankers (Failed) (Twice). So I have proof of my banker status!

Old 11 Oct 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3773772)   #3157
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One for Mr. Bell I think ....

https://www.facebook.com/BUVMO/photo...type=3&theater
Old 12 Oct 2017, 06:28 (Ref:3773812)   #3158
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!Mike Bell has a real shot at the podium!

Business opportunity?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3773824)   #3159
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Business opportunity?
I had a similar thought.

But I think a plug-in external battery pack might be a better opportunity - or maybe a "range extender" trailer with auxiliary battery and small generator.

Could be very popular in Oxford in a couple of years from now.

Is it possible to recharge an i3 by towing it and making use of the regenerative braking effect?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 09:17 (Ref:3773826)   #3160
midgetman
Veteran

England
Rural Wiltshire
Sounds like a perfect use for all the Honda karts that which will be made redundant by Vnuk

Old 14 Oct 2017, 07:20 (Ref:3774133)   #3161
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Another first yesterday- I met fellow historic tenther John Elwin at last! Despite the usual Friday nightmare that is our British M'ways, and a satnav that was way off target (French?), John called in on his way to an event at his old school in deepest N Norfolk. (The one with the very cold and very dusty squash courts..... )

Good to meet you John! Hope the journey home is less disrupted....
Old 14 Oct 2017, 07:42 (Ref:3774136)   #3162
bauble
Veteran

England
Bedfordshire almost in Pakistan
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Another first yesterday- I met fellow historic tenther John Elwin at last!
Mike! That is so sad.
Old 14 Oct 2017, 09:32 (Ref:3774152)   #3163
Gerard C
Subscriber
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mike! That is so sad.
I knew we can count on you mon Ami Robert !
Old 14 Oct 2017, 10:34 (Ref:3774154)   #3164
Mike Bell
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mike! That is so sad.
I understand he's known you a long time Bob- but I've never held that against him.....

Old 14 Oct 2017, 17:28 (Ref:3774191)   #3165
Gerard C
Subscriber
Veteran

France
Paris area
Gerard C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Et voilą, la distribution gratuite continue! Gratuity shop never closes!
You naughty boys