Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Feb 2015, 04:09 (Ref:3508249)   #226
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
So you think those p2 manufacturers will conform to the whims of TUSC. I guess we will see...

As for keeping DPs, it's not really a good idea because they no longer fulfill their purpose of cheap prototype racing. That racing philosophy will be taken over by PC and the LMP3 class.

And going alone isn't a bad idea, the Group C cars and the IMSA GTP cars were similar but had very different racing philosophy to appease their respected racing audience.
Certain mfgs. will whether or not it is exactly lined up with the ACO's version (strictly) or not. I suspect that many if not all will be capable of being raced in all ACO and partner series.
As to your assertion that the 'DP' in it's current iteration will be retained, ain't gonna happen.
It has been stated repeatedly by both IMSA and the ACO that the target is to have a P-2/ P that can be utilized in any and all series concerned.

L.P.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 06:14 (Ref:3508266)   #227
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think I said DPs will be retained.

I just think that in the p2 class has been doing really well, especially in the ELMS and looks like a good field in the WEC. Why change that? To appease who?

And besides, wouldn't it be better to have a fast and technological relevant cars as top class. Not something so capped.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 13:34 (Ref:3508385)   #228
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Boom!

http://sportscar365.com/industry/sco...017-lmp2-regs/

The bomb is dropped....
Old 24 Feb 2015, 15:24 (Ref:3508424)   #229
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is ridiculous! I wonder what's gonna happen to Dome, SMP Racing, and other small firms that trying to make a LMP2 car come 2017?

Anyways, this is sad as LMP2 became another Formula Le Mans/Prototype Challenge!
Old 24 Feb 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3508439)   #230
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that 4 constructor rule will be put by the way side. Especially in the US if someone other than Riley wants to build a car for TUSC.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3508445)   #231
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, this is the proverbial turd in the punch bowl! I have a very hard time seeing this surviving on this side of the pond, the engine rule is already an exclusion for TUSC. I would imagine that the constructors on this side of the pond will NOT agree to this asinine proposal. So it seems we will have separate specs for P/P-2 if this is adhered to by the ACO/FIA side of the table.

L.P.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 16:37 (Ref:3508453)   #232
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yes, this is the proverbial turd in the punch bowl! I have a very hard time seeing this surviving on this side of the pond, the engine rule is already an exclusion for TUSC. I would imagine that the constructors on this side of the pond will NOT agree to this asinine proposal. So it seems we will have separate specs for P/P-2 if this is adhered to by the ACO/FIA side of the table.
That's the word I was looking for, thanks.

It's not beyond feasibility to see a similar [to the engine] clause extend to chassis as well. But then the proposals' goals of maintaining the viability of the class would have already been diminished by the allowances.

Last edited by J Jay; 24 Feb 2015 at 16:43.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 16:37 (Ref:3508454)   #233
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
The ACO shooting themselves in the foot hahaha.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 17:00 (Ref:3508466)   #234
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The ACO shooting themselves in the foot hahaha.
Exactly what I'm thinking right now... What'll be next, putting fake bodywork apart from spec engines outside TUSC?
Old 24 Feb 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3508479)   #235
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmm, this is a little from out in left field isn't it?

I like the sound of V8s and more power, and at least some crossover of Euro / US racing, but what I don't like Spec engines and no new manufacturers' for 4 years. As for the later, I am not sure I quite understand why that would be proposed.

And then there's this:
Quote:
Existing LMP2 and DP cars, meanwhile, are expected to be grandfathered into 2017 for one year
One more year of DP? Oh man.......
Old 24 Feb 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3508481)   #236
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Hmmm, this is a little from out in left field isn't it?

I like the sound of V8s and more power, and at least some crossover of Euro / US racing, but what I don't like Spec engines and no new manufacturers' for 4 years. As for the later, I am not sure I quite understand why that would be proposed.

And then there's this:

That doesn't mean a DP or an old P2 will be competitive.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 17:46 (Ref:3508482)   #237
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
And then there's this:

And when have we ever seen a new ruleset come in that did not grandfather everything that was current in the old ruleset for at least a year? Not that unexpected really.

L.P.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 17:48 (Ref:3508484)   #238
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
That doesn't mean a DP or an old P2 will be competitive.
No but it does mean one more year of complaints.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 17:59 (Ref:3508489)   #239
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

Just.... WHY ???! Today, LMP2 is one of the most dynamic category, with diversity : Oreca, Dome, Onroak, SMP, adess, gibson, HPD, Dallara, ... They want to kill diversity, it's just stupid.

In my opinion, the cup is full... ACO must consider a divorce with IMSA
Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3508491)   #240
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel Vaillant View Post
What, you think this asinine decision is brought about by IMSA? That is just so misplaced I am not sure I can fully respond as it would cause me to get a displeasing note from the administration!

L.P.

Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:08 (Ref:3508492)   #241
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
It doesn't really look as if that is coming from the IMSA side of things... after all, IMSA would keep engine diversity under the proposed rules.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3508502)   #242
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
No but it does mean one more year of complaints.
If they've been knocked back to 2 ro 3 seconds off the pace, I don't care that they're out there for another year. The top teams won't be running them.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 19:04 (Ref:3508510)   #243
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
If they've been knocked back to 2 ro 3 seconds off the pace, I don't care that they're out there for another year. The top teams won't be running them.
Fair point, but at that pace, they'll be into the slower classes lead battles. We'll find a way to complain about them, I am sure of it.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 20:29 (Ref:3508538)   #244
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They trying to turn it into GP2.

Why? It's like the Porsche and Acura days. They're going to kill it just as its getting interesting.

There's no way chevy and Ford pushed for this.

Now I really hope Imsa goes in different direction.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3508576)   #245
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't see IMSA pushing for this. Hell, it seems like most of the protests and questioning are coming from their side on this issue, at least as much as from the WEC/LMS side of things.

Personally, I think that the ACO/FIA are pushing to have LMP2 replace LMP1-L, and they also might be using this as an excuse to build up LMP1 by having more engine suppliers and factory teams who can't sell their wares in LMP2.

Which that won't work, not at least in the US, where there's no plans for there being a LMP1 class resurrection in the foreseeable future.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 22:28 (Ref:3508581)   #246
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Told you so.

I am not surprised at all by this. FIA wants to make LMP-2 into a cheap pro-am customer class—cheaper than it is now—to get the rich sportsmen and unfunded pros into the series, but doesn't want anything except P1 at the head of the class.

P2 has basically been a 'spec" class all along, as the engines are sealed and the bodywork homologated. When mention was made of a common tub, it was plain that FIA envisioned something between DTM and Formula Le Mans/PC—identical low-cost cars with minimum adjustability and identical (though I figured everyone would get to make their own) low-stress/low-output motors for even lower operating costs and everything simplified so privateers wouldn't complain too much.

Single-make spec engine is a way to get someone to pay the series for promotion—makes good business sense for FIA—because they have LMP-1.

My point all along has been that FIA really doesn't give a crap about P2 because all it has ever been is a low-cost, cost-capped, pseudo-spec class for rich businessmen. FIA has LMP-1 and GTE and the other classes are there to fill grids and pay entry fees.

This could kill TUSC, because U.S. fans would be stuck with essentially more DPs—low-tech spec cars where innovation is limited to livery and performance is fixed by the factory prior to sale. Of course, the folks at NASCAR probably think this will work just fine—after all, they have kept the DP around for a dozen years and apparently think it has always been just fine.

Here is another thought: NASCAR basically owns Coyote chassis, as far as I know, and only one American chassis maker is supposed to be one of the four.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 23:20 (Ref:3508602)   #247
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Told you so.

I am not surprised at all by this. FIA wants to make LMP-2 into a cheap pro-am customer class—cheaper than it is now—to get the rich sportsmen and unfunded pros into the series, but doesn't want anything except P1 at the head of the class.

P2 has basically been a 'spec" class all along, as the engines are sealed and the bodywork homologated. When mention was made of a common tub, it was plain that FIA envisioned something between DTM and Formula Le Mans/PC—identical low-cost cars with minimum adjustability and identical (though I figured everyone would get to make their own) low-stress/low-output motors for even lower operating costs and everything simplified so privateers wouldn't complain too much.

Single-make spec engine is a way to get someone to pay the series for promotion—makes good business sense for FIA—because they have LMP-1.

My point all along has been that FIA really doesn't give a crap about P2 because all it has ever been is a low-cost, cost-capped, pseudo-spec class for rich businessmen. FIA has LMP-1 and GTE and the other classes are there to fill grids and pay entry fees.

This could kill TUSC, because U.S. fans would be stuck with essentially more DPs—low-tech spec cars where innovation is limited to livery and performance is fixed by the factory prior to sale. Of course, the folks at NASCAR probably think this will work just fine—after all, they have kept the DP around for a dozen years and apparently think it has always been just fine.

Here is another thought: NASCAR basically owns Coyote chassis, as far as I know, and only one American chassis maker is supposed to be one of the four.
Think the American Manufacturer is going to be Riley, with the other 3 being HPD-Wirth, OAK, and Oreca with a HPD international power-plant.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 23:27 (Ref:3508605)   #248
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lol, maybe Coyote could sue TUSC for denying it a fair business opportunity?
Old 24 Feb 2015, 23:29 (Ref:3508606)   #249
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Lol, maybe Coyote could sue TUSC for denying it a fair business opportunity?
Yeah maybe. I bet Riley get the chassis. Coyote gets the GM bodywork. I think I remember somewhere along the line that Coyote has no experience making carbon fiber chassis and they were going to need a partner.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 00:25 (Ref:3508623)   #250
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Spec engine is fairly in line with the intent and the spirit of the category. Just think of it as a Cosworth DFV.

Manufacturer limit is entirely at odds with it and generally some revived IRL/Grand-Am suicidal nonsense. Reasonably there's no reason to believe Daytona would have a problem with this as long as they're allowed their own engines as such, overmanaging everything is what they love.

Really the only thing P2 has going for it is that all the small constructors that used to make P1s are there, otherwise the specification and performance level is rather boring. So while this takes that away, pushing people back into P1 isn't so bad.