Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Feb 2002, 07:27 (Ref:210989)   #1
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When did NASCAR officially mandate the use of tubular frame chassis?

This question came up on another bulletin board. I seem to think that it was around 1980 but I believe teams were using them long before this, especially at tracks like Talladega and Daytona. Does anyone know for sure?
Old 7 Feb 2002, 15:09 (Ref:211645)   #2
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What I do know is that they mandated thicker steel tubing with the beginning of the 2000 season.

Do you think it's a coincidence NASCAR drivers suddenly started to get injured - and killed - a lot more often than before? Thicker steel tubing resulted in less absorbation, meaning the drivers recieve higher, and a lot more dangerous, G-spikes.

But, to get back to your original question: Sorry, don't have a clue :P
Old 7 Feb 2002, 16:45 (Ref:211690)   #3
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome rustyfan,

I'm known to drive a certain orange Dodge Charger with a confedderate flag on the roof
Old 7 Feb 2002, 16:54 (Ref:211693)   #4
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have felt that they have made the chasis too stiff over the years. It may make for better handling for the teams- but the the impact from crashes will be transfered to the drivers, who are attatched to the roll cages with their belts.
I felt that this is the one issue that they did NOT deal with when investigating DE's death.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 16:59 (Ref:211697)   #5
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can anyone stick to the question? This rehashing of stiff chassis BS is old and I am sure that it had nothing to do with the deaths. Why? Because there were a rash of basal skull fractures in CART with the energy absorbing carbon fibre chassis and drivers died in NASCAR/ARCA before 2000. Why? Because the driver's heads hit things, steering wheels, roll bars, back of the headrests, or the ground in the case of some of the open wheel deaths. Bent steering wheels and steering columns were noted in the autopsy reports that I seen of Neil Bonnett and Dale Earnhardt. How much of a blow to the head does it take to produce death? Not much. In a Pop Warner football game here in my hometown, a 12 year old died from helmet to helmet contact with another 12 year old. The stiff chassis theory gets blown to hell by more obvious evidence and common sense.

Now back to the question please. If you want to discuss the stiff chassis theory, then please create one yourself so I that I can ignore it and so that my thread doesn't get highjacked by speculative BS.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 7 Feb 2002 at 17:11.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 17:25 (Ref:211707)   #6
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No need to get cranky, and if you wish to walk with your eyes closed - then fine, just do it.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 17:47 (Ref:211716)   #7
Joe Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by rustyfan
No need to get cranky, and if you wish to walk with your eyes closed - then fine, just do it.
Rusty, I have a medical background and I have studied this problem rather extensively. Do you know anything about basil skull fractures? If not then, do as I have and visit your local medical library and open your eyes to the facts about what causes fatal basil skull fractures.

P.S. Science and Statistics 101--Correlation does not imply causation.

Last edited by Joe Fan; 7 Feb 2002 at 18:02.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 18:49 (Ref:211755)   #8
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E X C U S E M E !!!

Pffftttttt!
I guess we don't know the answer to your question as to WHEN they started the stiffen up the chasis.

Maybe you should go visit the library.
Old 7 Feb 2002, 19:05 (Ref:211769)   #9
The Beer Baron
Veteran

The Beer Baron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joefan, any frontal impact is dangerous. there isn't a lot of carbon fiber protecting the drivers in frontal impacts with walls in open wheel
Old 8 Feb 2002, 02:43 (Ref:212115)   #10
CA Racetramp
Racer

CA Racetramp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Roselady3
E X C U S E M E !!!

Pffftttttt!

Maybe you should go visit the library.
DOhhhhhh. I guess this meens Rosey isn't this forums librarian................ROFL