Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 18 Jan 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1503849)   #1
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Teams, is it worth the money?

This is for anyone who belongs with or has driven for a team.

In my 3 years we have always run independently basically out of the boot of a Passatt (well and Trailer) i'll be quite honest, me and my dad do very little to the kart, never tampered with anything much more than jetting, gearing and wheel width.

I'm considering running with our local team, RL-Racing who run people like Chris Lock and Chris Trott succesfuly in Super One Rotax but need honest un-biased opinions. Is it worth £70 a day? Has your driving improved with the experience around you, do you feel the kart handling better when people who know what they're doing are working on it?
Old 18 Jan 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1503853)   #2
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say run with them for initially about 5-10 meetings.

You'll start to pick up the way things work.
If you feel like you're making progress but still need their help, stay with them, or do as we did and carry on but with their knowledge in you head...
Old 20 Jan 2006, 23:03 (Ref:1505618)   #3
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if you want to take it serious then make sure you go with a team who take you seriously. There's plenty of people who will happily take your money and do a reasonable job of preparing your kart but there are few people who will teach you to be a winner.
Old 21 Jan 2006, 01:16 (Ref:1505678)   #4
Ali Rushforth
Racer

England
Nr Wantage, Oxfordshire
Ali Rushforth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackmot
if you want to take it serious then make sure you go with a team who take you seriously. There's plenty of people who will happily take your money and do a reasonable job of preparing your kart but there are few people who will teach you to be a winner.
Well said!!!

There's also far too many people that can take money and do FA for you!!!

I ran with a team during super 1, then when I left to go Car racing, I set up a small team for my brother and a couple of friends in TKM to teach them what I'd learnt.

It may be worth (like someone said) running with a team for a handful of meetings, with you and your Dad paying close attention to the way the team work, what sort of changes they make to the Kart, note EVERYTHING down (maybe a job for Mum/Bro/Sis?) then if you and your Dad feel you can go it alone again, you have the info stored in memory and notes.
Old 22 Jan 2006, 23:14 (Ref:1506994)   #5
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do any of you know of any regular teams at the Buckmore Park club events? Do Dartford karting attend with their team Screaming Talent?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 11:44 (Ref:1507961)   #6
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
OK, so far there is The Kart shop at Buckmore than runs a team apparently, not sure under what banner though and Project One.

Seeing as i run a Trulli i'd assume the kartshop would be best to run with depending on price.

Anyone have any opinions on what team does best?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1508081)   #7
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, so you're planning on running at club level with a team?
Old 24 Jan 2006, 16:11 (Ref:1508137)   #8
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I'm doing Buckmore Park Senior Rotax. I've been speaking with a team today (none of the above) and am just waiting for a fax through from them. The manager came across very well and seemed very interested in what i wanted to achieve and said how they could halp me to do that, so hopefuly i should be with them. They run in Super One too, they run Trulli's which is great as there's plenty of drivers to try set up with
Old 12 Feb 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1520942)   #9
Maxkarter
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Maxkarter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well for this year, the Wesleigh Orr Racing Team took me on. I had my first race with them this weekend and my times have improved considerably, from last year. I can't say anything bad yet.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 18:36 (Ref:1521132)   #10
Ali Rushforth
Racer

England
Nr Wantage, Oxfordshire
Ali Rushforth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why have your lap times improved??

Have they set your chassis or motor up different to how you'd usually have them?

Have you been coached?

Is it a confidence boosting thing being run by a team?

Have you learnt anything from the way they've run you this weekend that could enable you and you Dad to go it alone again at some point in the future?
Old 12 Feb 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1521170)   #11
Maxkarter
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Maxkarter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They handle that kart setup totally, and why wouldn't I be more confident being in a team run by a Worl Champions' father. Leaving isnt really a main concern as he spots talent as such and doesnt charge to run you. Whereas Birel charges an arm and a leg to run some of their drivers.