Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Nov 2017, 06:33 (Ref:3778297)   #651
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Personally I'd prefer to have the 56 fastest available cars whatever class they happen to be in but that's a pretty old fashioned opinion I guess.
Old 3 Nov 2017, 06:54 (Ref:3778302)   #652
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m intrigued by that comment, I know it is just an expression, but was Le Mans ever like this?

Thinking back to when there were millions of classes and sub classes there were some pretty slow cars racing, but were they the fastest that were entered. Or was it just a case of we have 50 odd entries let then all race,
Old 8 Nov 2017, 18:48 (Ref:3779505)   #653
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According with Motorsport Aktuell 47/ 2017 , Revellion could be back in LMP1 with Oreca and a modified Gibson engine.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 18:52 (Ref:3779507)   #654
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
According with Motorsport Aktuell 47/ 2017 , Revellion could be back in LMP1 with Oreca and a modified Gibson engine.
>700hp from a 4.2L? Well this got my attention for sure.
Old 8 Nov 2017, 19:16 (Ref:3779509)   #655
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post

Assuming this is meant to mean Rebellion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 Nov 2017, 21:37 (Ref:3779529)   #656
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Assuming this is meant to mean Rebellion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, if to achieve that power the gibson will be tuned to rev over 10000rpm, Rev-ellion won't be bad as team name
Old 9 Nov 2017, 00:24 (Ref:3779543)   #657
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Gibson are still offering their 4.5 liter V8 that made 700bhp per their claims, but that was with an air restrictor instead of fuel flow. That engine would need the same mods as the re-worked Judd V10.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 01:05 (Ref:3779546)   #658
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’m intrigued by that comment, I know it is just an expression, but was Le Mans ever like this?

Thinking back to when there were millions of classes and sub classes there were some pretty slow cars racing, but were they the fastest that were entered. Or was it just a case of we have 50 odd entries let then all race,
Obviously not when index of performance was taken really seriously but in the 80s when the race had ~30 C1s, ~20 C2s, and maybe a couple Group B or IMSA cars that were in with the C2s on pace it pretty much was, although I'm not sure of the entry process. In the early 90s after the classes all got split apart again they were doing things entirely on selection. Pre-qualifying with guaranteed invites was brought in for 1995 and I can't remember when it morphed into the test day. But when they did that they split the field into two categories (WSC/LMP1/LMP2/GT1/GTS/Class 1 in one and GT2/Class 2 in the other) and guaranteed each category would get a number of slots based on the number of cars entered.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 03:09 (Ref:3779557)   #659
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
These new lmp1's will be in the 350kmh range if were looking at them having at least 100hp more than the current lmp2's. It's no wonder teams are licking their chops. P2 was capable of a qualifying time in the 3:25's, and ByKolles with it's older chassis and brand new engine was even faster. How are Toyota going to hold them back? They'll get the jump on them initially with the hybrid, but by the time they reach the braking zones these new p1's will probably be right with them if not ahead. They'll need less lifting and coasting, they have their full power at all times, and they get an aerodynamic advantage in the rules.

I think Toyota will be faster in lap time overall, but they'll have to make gains in order to not be a sitting duck on the straights. I can't wait to see how this plays out.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 05:46 (Ref:3779581)   #660
roderick
Racer

Japan
roderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridroderick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
These new lmp1's will be in the 350kmh range if were looking at them having at least 100hp more than the current lmp2's. It's no wonder teams are licking their chops. P2 was capable of a qualifying time in the 3:25's, and ByKolles with it's older chassis and brand new engine was even faster. How are Toyota going to hold them back? They'll get the jump on them initially with the hybrid, but by the time they reach the braking zones these new p1's will probably be right with them if not ahead. They'll need less lifting and coasting, they have their full power at all times, and they get an aerodynamic advantage in the rules.

I think Toyota will be faster in lap time overall, but they'll have to make gains in order to not be a sitting duck on the straights. I can't wait to see how this plays out.
I'm really worried about the new season regulations now...
Toyota will be 1sec faster than other non hybrid P1 cars However, this means, Other P1 will be able to catch up to Toyota and will cause hard time over taking each other.
I hope not, but next year's Leman is going to be chaotic!
Old 9 Nov 2017, 11:45 (Ref:3779597)   #661
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I agree, either they make all P1 coast at the end of the straight or even better allow them more fuel (MJ) per lap so no one have to coast.

Fuel flow rules alone are not main problem for coasting it's the ratio between power (fuel flow) and energy (fuel per lap). Correct the ratio and you get more safety, because you avoid close contacts with P2, like Lapiere and many others had.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3779655)   #662
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
New Aston Martin Vantage V8 GTE seen at Sebring, and testing on Michelin tires instead of Dunlop which is what AMR runs in the WEC.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3779661)   #663
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
New Aston Martin Vantage V8 GTE seen at Sebring, and testing on Michelin tires instead of Dunlop which is what AMR runs in the WEC.

Looks mean, especially in the camo

Old 9 Nov 2017, 19:19 (Ref:3779666)   #664
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
AMR definitely struggled in the past two-three races (especially in the wet at Fuji). They might be considering a switch back to the Michelins with their new car. On another note, let's hope this new car can do without the insane BoP advantages like Vantage needs to stay competitive.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 19:44 (Ref:3779672)   #665
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
The Vantage was also ancient the past couple of seasons. You have to remember that the car was designed when Ford was sole owner of Aston Martin. AM until the DB11 also kept re-hashing the DB9 under various names and facelifts.

At least the investments made into the company in recent years has allowed them to develop new road cars.
Old 9 Nov 2017, 21:48 (Ref:3779690)   #666
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Aston Martin Vantage GTE Spy Video Sebring test 11-9-2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpbkznudEtc
Old 9 Nov 2017, 22:34 (Ref:3779699)   #667
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sorry for the off topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Obviously not when index of performance was taken really seriously but in the 80s when the race had ~30 C1s, ~20 C2s, and maybe a couple Group B or IMSA cars that were in with the C2s on pace it pretty much was, although I'm not sure of the entry process. In the early 90s after the classes all got split apart again they were doing things entirely on selection. Pre-qualifying with guaranteed invites was brought in for 1995 and I can't remember when it morphed into the test day. But when they did that they split the field into two categories (WSC/LMP1/LMP2/GT1/GTS/Class 1 in one and GT2/Class 2 in the other) and guaranteed each category would get a number of slots based on the number of cars entered.
The ‘80s was the era I thought would most closely match that. You basically need less classes to achieve it.

I compared the qualifying times from 1988 and 2017 to what spread we had:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...988-06-12.html
http://www.crash.net/le-mans/results...ifying-results
A very similar spread

What you say holds true, but it’s interesting to see we are in a similar situation lap time wise.

It’s a little off topic, but I hope mildly interesting.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 12:03 (Ref:3779904)   #668
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, it seems it's not all that different from the Group C era. Not really surprised either, Group C races tended to be more endurance sprints. And Jacky Ickx now calls it long distance Grand Prix
Old 11 Nov 2017, 16:32 (Ref:3779929)   #669
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The ‘80s was the era I thought would most closely match that. You basically need less classes to achieve it.

I compared the qualifying times from 1988 and 2017 to what spread we had:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/resu...988-06-12.html
http://www.crash.net/le-mans/results...ifying-results
A very similar spread

What you say holds true, but it’s interesting to see we are in a similar situation lap time wise.

It’s a little off topic, but I hope mildly interesting.
But with the not unimportant side note that the two chicanes on the Mulsanne straight were not introduced until 1990.
Old 11 Nov 2017, 23:37 (Ref:3779974)   #670
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Yes, demonstrating how impressive the slower class GT cars are.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 12:11 (Ref:3780039)   #671
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
Personally I'd prefer to have the 56 fastest available cars whatever class they happen to be in but that's a pretty old fashioned opinion I guess.
How about qualifying, like F1 in the 1980s?
Old 12 Nov 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3780041)   #672
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If you chose the fastest 56, regardless of class, we'd have some LMP2 entries from teams way out of their depth, and lose half of the GTE grid. I'd rather see 4 (or 3) competitive classes.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3780048)   #673
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If you chose the fastest 56, regardless of class, we'd have some LMP2 entries from teams way out of their depth, and lose half of the GTE grid. I'd rather see 4 (or 3) competitive classes.
I agree. That definitely doesn't work unless GTEs are right on pace with the LMP2s. At that point, you could also just remove GTE-Am altogether as I don't think many will be fast enough to get an entry.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3780071)   #674
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simple, calculate the fastest cars based on their percentage time relative to their class pole.
Old 12 Nov 2017, 18:51 (Ref:3780072)   #675
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well you could do that, but that's different to what carbsmith was suggesting.

Calculating based on percentage to class pole is fine, but then you're inviting a lot of cars along that probably won't get in, who then need garage space to operate throughout the week, and the result will probably be very similar to what we have now. So you'd need to find space for temporary garages (parc fe

Although a quick look at the 2017 teams, you'd probably have lost ByKolles, Eurasia, maybe the Keating Riley and IDEC Ligier. You wouldn't lose any GTE-Pro cars, and maybe not even GTE-Am either. So using that system you might increase the amount of GTE-Am cars in the race, and lose LMP1 and LMP2. I think carbsmith was going for the opposite effect.