Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Nov 2003, 13:54 (Ref:789517)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gurney Has Confirmed Possible New Sportscar

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Dan Gurney was the featured guest on "WindTunnel" last night on SpeedChannel...

The second question asked by Dave Despain (but not followed up on for more details) concerned his phone call two weeks ago about the new project that may be in the works...

Mr. Gurney responded:

"I have been approached to build a new sposrtscar"

and added that they are currently looking at the specifications that this car would race under, as well as the criteria set by the sanctioning body to see what is rrequired to be recognized by them as a builder....

Sounds like a prototype project to me....

Dave Despain didn't follow up with any questions to get more details, and I couldn't get through on the "Windtunnel" phone lines....

Sure hope that it is for the ACO and ALMS and not for Grand Am....but either way, it'll be good to have Dan Gurney back in sportscars...

TO MODERATORS:

Since the "Aar Thread" addressed this issue, you may want to merge them...

I didn't want this news to get lost in that other thread, and I thought the members wouyld want to know this info...

Thanks!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 20 Nov 2003, 14:33 (Ref:789565)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Superb! Let's hope we see an Eagle in the ALMS next year. And at La Sarthe, of course.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 15:49 (Ref:789659)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: Gurney Has Confirmed Possible New Sportscar

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
...they are currently looking at the specifications that this car would race under, as well as the criteria set by the sanctioning body to see what is required to be recognized by them as a builder....
That requirement would point to Grand Am.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Nov 2003, 15:50 (Ref:789661)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have a feeling it is for Grand -Am racing- 'to be recognized as a builder'
Grand-am rules states this exactly, any constructor wishing to use their chassis and bodywork for sale or competition must be officially accepted/approved and recognized as a constructor.
I feel an ALMS/LeMans prototype would be easier to build as the rules allow you to do certain things, where a DP has rules for chassis you must follow- The IMSA sanctioning body following rrules per ACO for ALMS would have a straight answer compared to what Mr.Gurney had said.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 16:15 (Ref:789690)   #5
LouisTheShark
Racer

LouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLouisTheShark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Am is the rumor on the street.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 16:23 (Ref:789700)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Louis, does the rumour tell who approached Gurney? I have a theory that would get them around the limits on new constructors...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Nov 2003, 16:24 (Ref:789703)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You are probably right....the part of his answer that I did not put in quotes was that part about the requirements ....but that was the context that I gathered from hearing it....

I recall Fulvio telling me in an e-mail last spring that Durango had to be "recognized" or "Licensed" as a builder by the FIA and the ACO per their changes to what what an exisiting chassis that they ran...

So I don't know for sure which route this may be going....because it sounds to me like Both sanctioning bodies would have to recognize you in some way, shape or form....

If anyone wants to check out the transcript of his remarks on the speed channel site, I guess we can all read it in Black and White...

that site is www.speedtv.com I believe...

But I think you have to register and my passwords, etc. don't work and I can't figure out how to change it or square it away to give me access to their forums and other areas where it is needed....

Regardless of the series, I'm also interested in knowing who exactly approached him to do it...that should speak volumes about which way this program is going.

Old 20 Nov 2003, 16:28 (Ref:789710)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I truely hope that this car is destined for the ALMS. Gurney's talents and inovative thinking would be lost in the Grand Am series.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 16:29 (Ref:789712)   #9
BobN
Racer

BobN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being approached about building one and being commissioned to build one are two entirely different things. It doesn't say that a manufacture has approached him, it could be Grand-am sent a feeler to see if he was interested because they would like his name associated with their series (who wouldn't?).

I would love to see him build a car and be back in racing, but until there is an actual anouncement this has as much credibilty as the Prodrive Mazda LMP or the Audi R9 diesel closed top. All nice things to hope for but will any of them happen?

By the way anybody seen the Rahal Audi R8s yet?
Old 20 Nov 2003, 16:42 (Ref:789723)   #10
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah! Eagle will fly again!
Old 20 Nov 2003, 17:52 (Ref:789803)   #11
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, even if he does go to GA, consider this, his car will probably be a better looking car than most...just a thought...
Old 20 Nov 2003, 18:07 (Ref:789812)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Given the parameters that builders must work within, it still will look out of proportion with the large greenhouse, etc....it is the nature of the beast....

And I do agree with you, to an extent, BobN...being approached and being commissioned are worlds apart when it comes to a project becoming a reality....but I would think that if he was "approached," somebody has some cash to spend from whatever source....

and if it was Grand Am itself or the France Family approaching him, then Gurney wouldn't have to look at the criteria for approavials as a builder, would he?????

I would think not...so it could easily be a team that wants to race Grand Am, but it sure wasn't Grand Am putting a "feeler" out....

Now for the other possible scenario....

What does it take to receive "approval" or get "licensed" to build something for the ACO or the FIA????

I think the Grand Am route is more likely based on what I read above, but I'd just as soon know what the whole story is before leaning that way in my own speculations...

Old 20 Nov 2003, 19:19 (Ref:789859)   #13
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What would Gurney have to gain by doing a DP project? Maybe money, but what else? His ability can be showcased much more effectively in the ALMS, LMES, or more importantly Le Mans.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 19:38 (Ref:789871)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I think he'sd like to get abck into racing in some form, but from what he said last night, I don't think he wants to do the whole Team Owner, Team Manager thing....but getting involved in projects like creating a new sportscar interests him...

Maybe he does a DP to sell to generate revenue so that down the road he builds an LMP car????

I don't know what he gains from it as well, other than cash...because the DPs seem to be fairly low-tech...

But it would bring money that will spend for him....

Guess we won't know until the deal is in fact sealed, he meets whatever "critieria" he spoke about, etc....

BobN makes a point...it isn't a reality until it actually Becomes one...right now, it has a few "ifs" still hanging out there...

Old 22 Nov 2003, 13:48 (Ref:791444)   #15
Dauntless
Racer

United States
San Francisco Bay Area
Dauntless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
I don't know what he gains from it as well, other than cash...because the DPs seem to be fairly low-tech...

But it would bring money that will spend for him....
True, true...

Seriously, the cars are still overpriced IMO. After all, one can buy a brand-new turn-key T/A for a third of the price for a DP, and there is little difference to their technology or materials, and the engines are cheaper if anything.

No wonder Rohr is building his own!
Old 23 Nov 2003, 15:06 (Ref:792187)   #16
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
One of the caller's questions later in the interview asked Gurney if he missed the days of old with the 'run what you brung' categories, and the development of technology and inovation that took place years ago, to which Gurney replied that he did indeed miss those things-snce he had been heavily involved of course in being an inovator. For reason's like that I would be surprised at Grand Am, but fear that might be the place.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 15:09 (Ref:792188)   #17
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well fact is gurney in Grand-Am would make me watch every race, and if the chassis' are all the same basically the bodywork is quite different per DP car, and the engines, i bet Mr. Gurney would really see it as workable- as the ALL American Racers shop does have it own windtunnel, and the engines are pretty good (except the champcar one eeesh-but that was before the Toyota influx)
Old 23 Nov 2003, 15:17 (Ref:792190)   #18
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Hey, maybe he'll be invovled in a tube frame GT car? There might be some openings for inovation there.

If he does somehow end up in Grand Am, that would certainly add even more force to the wind shift that Grand Am has.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 17:41 (Ref:792274)   #19
Edmonton
Racer

Edmonton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After watching windtunnel I can honesly say that Dan won't go to grandam-great news-after his thoughts on rules I feel that he would go nuts in that series.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 19:31 (Ref:792327)   #20
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wasn't Guerney trying to set up an American F1 team, take it that made a quiet disappearance!
Old 23 Nov 2003, 19:33 (Ref:792328)   #21
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you look at the rules for the DP class and compare them to the LMP's... Are you sure its the DP rules that are stricter?

DP- http://www.grandamerican.com/daytona...to%2010-13.pdf

LMP- http://www.lemans.org/sport/ressourc...ONS_LMP_GB.pdf

Seems to me the LMP rule book would be 4 times thicker

Other then a spec wing, roll hoop and tires the DP rules are fairly open.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 19:41 (Ref:792333)   #22
RM40
Racer

RM40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the greenhouse? Isn't that basically spec, or pretty close to it, due ot the minimum windsheild size, or something like that.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 20:26 (Ref:792358)   #23
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its only limited by the roll cage hoop size. If you look close at the Fabcar its greenhouse is about 2" wider then the roll cage on both side's. The Crawford and Multimatic DPs have thier bodys wrapped as close to the cage as they can. Which i think looks way beter...
Old 23 Nov 2003, 21:49 (Ref:792401)   #24
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think in the coming years we will see some true "lookers" in the DP class, lets face it, the first examples were quite rushed out the door.

Even Audi cant build a world beater in an offseason.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 07:48 (Ref:792700)   #25
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll echo paulzhino's comments...I remember last year at the Indianapolis GP there was much hoo haa about Dan Gurney setting an F1 team up...the way it was being hyped it was virtually a done deal.
How concrete are these DP plans??