Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Apr 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1267842)   #26
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get the feeling from Michael's lap that he extracted the most from his Ferrari and then some. While it's good to see the new car is quicker, I think it has a way to go before it can match the Renaults.
I am surprised at some people's reaction to Trulli's speed. This isn't new, the guy has always been a super-quick qualifier. Gascoyne's reputation as a top car designer is surely growing. Ralf has been rather unimpressive on the other hand.
Good lap from Heidfeld as well. Jenson who?
BAR? How the mighty have fallen. Where have they gone wrong? Pretty sure it's not the tires.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 2 Apr 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1267844)   #27
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ferrari and their drivers don't know the new car as well as the old one, or as well as the other teams know their cars by now, plus losing barrichello yesterday means their ability to test set-ups etc on the car was halved. even with all this schumacher isn't that far off alonso, although he was working the car hard to acheive the time from it. if they still had the f2004m, even with a perfect weekend, i think they would be struggling to break the top ten.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 13:00 (Ref:1267851)   #28
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens has done nothing wrong - it's Ferrari who should be ashamed. For years they told us they were contractually set up to helpo the leading driver in teh championship - and now the awful truth is out there. And to cap it all, some 'expert' on here criticises Rubens' lap. I give up.

Fantastic stuff from Fernando again, while it's no surprise to see Michael right on the pace. JV's mistake turned a scarcely-adequatte lap into yet another disaster. DC's poor one-lap qualifying continues,a lthough I'm sure he'll have the measure of Christian on raceday. JV, Ralf and Montiero are still to outshient ehir team-mates once all season.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1267859)   #29
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get the feeling that tomorrow's qualifying will play a more important part in the final grid, as has been said. Maybe not for pole as Alonso seems a step ahead considering he made a bit of an error and still got provisional pole, but for everyone back as far as Raikkonen in 7th, there is the distinct possiblilty of very worthwhile forward gains....no disrespect to Klien there.

Last edited by Irv the Swerve; 2 Apr 2005 at 13:17.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 13:17 (Ref:1267860)   #30
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My wife and I were down the pub to watch qualifying. Unfortunately, we were watching it on Star Sports, and their picture cut out towards the end of the Button lap and didn't return until JV had finished his lap. However, the replay suggested that JV ran wide on the last corner as a result of understeer and cost him a fairly good lap. His times in the earlier two sectors suggested he could have finished at least a couple of spots higher, and he seems to be more positive about the car.

Rubens locked a tyre quite hard going into the first corner and that compromised the rest of his lap. Ralf ran too wide mid-way through his lap.

DC expressed dissatisfaction with his car's handling.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1267862)   #31
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the way, Michael had a stunning lap, that only Alonso in a faster car could match.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1267869)   #32
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the speed trap data on F1.com for Quali 1 it's easy to see who the late brakers are... Tiago Monteiro forth quickest through the traps(!)
Old 2 Apr 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1267885)   #33
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
I thought BAR may get some race wins this year but that seems very unlikly at least for this year. I'd hate to say it but they may find them self coming from 2nd last year to 7th or posibly even 8th the way they are going!

2005 Constructors Standings:
Renault (Very dominent wining most races)
Ferrari
Williams
Mclaren
Toyota
Red bull
BAR
Sauber
Jordan (0 points)
Minardi (0 points)

Last edited by mabs_nsx; 2 Apr 2005 at 14:21.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1267902)   #34
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Michael's lap was very good I thought. As was Alonso's until the last corner. He has lost a little opportunity to run really heavy tomorrow. However he has the speed so he can still put a bit more in and still be quicker than others. If he hadn't messed up the last corner though he could have afforded to be slower.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 14:57 (Ref:1267904)   #35
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Raikkonen would have been right up there too, but for a mistake in the final corner - caught a few people out, that one.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 15:10 (Ref:1267916)   #36
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Haven't seen the qualy's, but its good to see Michael up there. I guess maybe Fisichella might finally have met his match in a teammate

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 2 Apr 2005 at 15:22.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1267932)   #37
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fisi did his qualifying run early though - and the track gained a lot of speed at the end.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 15:56 (Ref:1267942)   #38
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Typical bad luck for Rubens whenever there's a new Ferrari on the shelf - either it breaks down, or doesn't last long enough to start, or he gets the hitherto-bulletproof old car and that breaks down. He had no chance in a car he's barely driven all weekend.

The running order seemed to have a big effect - a lot of the guys who went early on were a lot slower than you'd've expected, which is particularly unlucky for Button and Friesacher.

Well done to Alonso and Trulli for their thoroguhly excellent efforts, and also to Klien for getting the job done where DC couldn't.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 16:51 (Ref:1267979)   #39
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
By the way, Michael had a stunning lap, that only Alonso in a faster car could match.
Trulli? Perhaps he beat MS in a slower car - an even better performance.

Sch M clearly had a good lap in a new car and Brawn later said that he was looking for a solid lap time and was not pushing to the limit. Poor Rubens - as ever seems to get the 'Friday afternoon' build!

Amazing to see the usually cool and organised Ferrari team having to patch a gearbox up with gaffer tape and then fly our spare bits at short notice.

I thought Heidfeld is looked handy and all credit to him. Seems to quietly get on with the job.

And the same of De La Rosa - a quality performance.

JV - Mmmm!
Old 2 Apr 2005, 17:22 (Ref:1268002)   #40
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Alonso, Trulli and TGF. I would love to watch tomorrow's 2nd qually live, I hate this 2 day quallifying.

Sad for RB, but hopefully he'll get his new gear box installed and could well improve his grid positionin in 2nd quallifying. Great run by quick Nick, he's looking very good this weekend.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 17:33 (Ref:1268011)   #41
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
for now . i see the race as a battle between Alonso Trulli and Schumacher . with an outside chance from Fisico . he seems to be a little of the pace of Alonso .

if the Ferrari doesn't break for Schumacher . his racecraft i think might jump him over Trulli ..
it's gonna be a very interesting race .. i'm sure if that .

Ciao Marco
Old 2 Apr 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1268019)   #42
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMO this race is Alonso's if he can stay out of trouble..... unless Ferrari went veryu conservative today i think the Renault package is overall the best ATM...
Old 2 Apr 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1268031)   #43
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fisi looks good to me and is the dark horse for this race along with Trulli.

For me, it's between Michael and Alonso.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1268051)   #44
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We'll have a better idea of whether Fisichella can match Alonso on equal track conditions tomorrow morning, but my hunch is that he can, and that either Renault could win the race, as with Michael and Jarno, with Kimi or a Williams as lognshots depending on how Q2 goes.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1268103)   #45
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd like to see Trulli snatch pole on aggregate though, would be quite sweet.

Of course one day someone's going to run off the road and destroy session one's result.

I see a parallel with 1994 here with Alonso & Michael - with Schumacher in the Benetton, and Senna in the Williams (keep your sick minds out!...I mean in terms of performance and the new challenge Senna was facing from an 'up & coming' driver).

I hope it's the change in the ranks that many have been waiting for.

Last edited by Hazard; 2 Apr 2005 at 19:25.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1268125)   #46
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well at least we'll have the opportunity to see the fight between the old master and the young lion, unlike 1994.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1268140)   #47
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did ferrari not give Rubens the best gear box?
Old 2 Apr 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1268144)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

It wasn't a conscious decision - it just happened to be his that blew
Old 2 Apr 2005, 20:47 (Ref:1268156)   #49
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What gets me - and I honestly believe it is not deliberate - is that it seems that nearly always it is his car that has the technical problems - it's uncanny and he must get cheesed off with it.

When was the last time MS's car had a genuine mechanical failure and he had to retire - bless you - I know one of the F1 anorak's on here will remember.
Old 2 Apr 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1268172)   #50
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
I'm not sure Alonso is the best young driver in F1 right now (my head says it's Kimi, and my heart says either JPM or Jenson), but maybe he's the first to be in a position to challenge Michael for the title. He's certainly been faultless so far this season, whether trying to rescue an unlucky situation in Melbourne or leading from the front in Malaysia, and I can't fault him.

As for Rubens, how many times can lightning strike? Time and again he's the one who loses out, for one reason or another.