Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 31 Mar 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1566251)   #126
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When I listed the practices as tests, you went all technical about it explaining the difference when you knew what I meant. That's what I meant from that quote.
About the getting killed not in a race as a driver I would consider it worse as everyone considers the risks when racing yet testing or practicing you shouldn't be taking a risk that's why I find it worse imo...
Old 31 Mar 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1566258)   #127
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That final practice is to set the car up for the race with the conditions of the day. It's really under race conditions for everybody with the whole field out there. That said, as I've posted before, and others have added to, there are many, many elements to this tragic accident. There is no SINGLE element to point a finger at and say, "There." Some, like Robin Miller, have tried to do so politically. They have failed. And with every single accident in racing that someone ascribes a single element to, there're always going to be other factors....in testing, practice, a race or driving to church on Sunday.

EDIT: Luke, baloney. Just what does "worse" mean to you? The result's the same.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1566281)   #128
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't see how what I said was 'baloney', maybe you'll wish to add your opinion. Yes the result is the same and its just as bad but when racing, your out there at ten-tenths, at 100%, practicing or testing you shouldn't be taking those risks as such as you would in the race. That's why I see it worse being killed not racing. That's just my opinion as a fellow driver. Can you not see where I'm coming from?
Old 31 Mar 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1566288)   #129
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, not really, I don';t understand at all, because we don't even know whether it was 10/10ths or 9/10ths or 11/10ths and we don't know, and suspect that factor was NOT, the absolute 100 percent reason for the contact and accident.
Old 31 Mar 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1566349)   #130
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I see where your coming from luke, but your basic point falls a little flat.

A driver will push whenever he gets the chance, be it testing, practice or race. He is not a racing driver otherwise.

It is more dangerous driving at less than full capacity, at times IMO (less concentration).
Old 1 Apr 2006, 06:51 (Ref:1566725)   #131
OpenWheel4ever
Racer

European Union
OpenWheel4ever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad loss. Rest In Peace, Paul Dana. I'll miss you
Old 10 Apr 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1577965)   #132
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP Paul Dana
Old 15 Apr 2006, 20:37 (Ref:1583060)   #133
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a video of the incident again a few days ago, can't remember where right now; that was exactly the same coverage as the vid already posted but lasted a bit longer instead of ending so quickly after the contact.

After the impact where the original vid ended, it focuses on Dana's car. You can see that the car doesn't flip over, it just lifts up at the front and then comes back down on its wheels, trundling down the track to a rest, and it amazed me how intact the car looked. Obviously it's a bit of a mess at the front but it seemed to hold together and the rear wing/rear suspension looks completely intact.

Having seen the impact I wasn't at all surprised that the injuries were fatal but I expected the car to have been blown apart like it was in the Brack accident. I'm not sure what the point of this is, it's just an observation. Had I been watching at the time and seen that I might have given him a chance.
Old 15 Apr 2006, 23:46 (Ref:1583169)   #134
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the car flying apart is a good thing because it means there's something taking the energy other than the driver. Part of why the crash was so dangerous was because it was head on with no parts (sidepod & wheels for the side, trans and engine for the rear) to absorb the impact.
Old 16 Apr 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1585047)   #135
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another problem with the head on crash is the force is concentrated all in one direction, which is highly dangerous indeed.

Far better to be in a "spectacular" accident, theoretically.