Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 May 2004, 10:59 (Ref:973174)   #26
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Annoyingly, I'd just written an answer to this, but couldn't get it uploaded before my time on here expired unexpectedly (I'm at a public library), but anyway.

I think Access will be out on track at some point. A good solution for both parties might be for Honda to let Greg have one engine, and sell him a second for use with a young charger.

Having PDM out there would be a real turn up for the books, I just wish they'd find a better dirver than Jimmy Kite.

If Roth is needed to fill the grid, I suppose I can put up with him, but he's not fast, or stable, and can hardly be classed as a young hotshot.

I can see Panther getting a third car on track, and perhaps AGR will run another, or hre it out. I can see the G-Force Penske getting entered by someone as well. There are enough irons in the fire to make 33 a posisbility. It's gonna be quite a week.
Old 17 May 2004, 11:04 (Ref:973177)   #27
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haven't heard that name for a while, it is indeed right out of left-field. Considering that he got a fairly raw deal at Patrick in 1999, I'm sure he'd love to beat their car.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:02 (Ref:973227)   #28
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think we will see a few more entieres. Nunn is apparantly very dissapointed with Tora's time and would like to get another car out there. Panther have entered a third car (#44) and may very well get someone to drive it. I think thier primary focus was to get Tomas and Mark in the race, then get another entry on bump day. I think could be the attitude of a few teams.

Gonna be an interesting week

Last edited by Down F0rce; 17 May 2004 at 12:03.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:07 (Ref:973231)   #29
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I doubt it will happen, I'd love to see John Andretti in the race.

Last edited by rustyfan; 17 May 2004 at 12:10.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:41 (Ref:973277)   #30
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
P.J. Jones is one of the enigmas of American open-wheel racing. Overrated and trading on a famous name, or talented but lacking the right opportunity? So hard to say.
Old 17 May 2004, 12:43 (Ref:973280)   #31
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
... perhaps AGR will run another...
AGR might run five cars???
Old 17 May 2004, 13:13 (Ref:973320)   #32
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
P.J. Jones is one of the enigmas of American open-wheel racing. Overrated and trading on a famous name, or talented but lacking the right opportunity? So hard to say.
He hasn't been that bad throughout his career though; since 1986 he has won 20+ midget events, an ARS race, four Firestone Firehawk Series races, two Indy Lights races and five IMSA GTP races (including the 1993 Daytona 24 Hours race).

Not too sure on his stats for 1994 and onwards though - the stats I came across only covered 1989-1993.

What I do know, however, is that he most likely would have been better off staying away from the All American Racers Champ Car effort.
Old 17 May 2004, 13:38 (Ref:973337)   #33
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is PDM still racing? I had heard that they had gone under. No chance of Ben Collins getting the funding together for a last minute ride? I assume John Andretti would have to do the double with the Nextel race at Charlotte?
Old 17 May 2004, 13:58 (Ref:973353)   #34
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by mcurtis26
Is PDM still racing? I had heard that they had gone under. No chance of Ben Collins getting the funding together for a last minute ride?
PDM are currently working on some deals that might lead to them fielding a car for the race. Nothing has been finalized nor confirmed as of yet though.

I don't think Ben Collins would be able to race even if he came up with some last-minute funding, seeing as he hasn't done his rookie orientation (as far as I know anyway), and it's too late to do it now.

Quote:
Originally posted by mcurtis26
I assume John Andretti would have to do the double with the Nextel race at Charlotte?
John Andretti doesn't have a full-time Cup ride this year - he's done two races for DEI in 2004, but that's it. I wouldn't rule out the Coca Cola 600 being another race for Andretti in the #1 though, since it's one of the bigger Cup races of the year.
Old 17 May 2004, 16:11 (Ref:973511)   #35
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Andretti is indeed hoping to do the double, as Robby Gordon will.
Old 17 May 2004, 16:24 (Ref:973522)   #36
AllofaSutton
Rookie

AllofaSutton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how will John do the double if he's not entered and as far as I've been following not rumored for either race. Am I missing something here. I would think that in NASCAR he would already be announced. I would love to see John again. My little bro and I were talking just today if that was a possibility. So if anybody has any info let it fly please. Thank you.
Long live the 500
Long live AGR
Old 17 May 2004, 16:34 (Ref:973537)   #37
AllofaSutton
Rookie

AllofaSutton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he has grown more as a driver since leaving CART(not a knock on CART) Watching him in sprints and IMSA it seems he has matured alot, so good luck. I think it sounds like a good idea at a much needed time.
Good Luck AGR
Old 17 May 2004, 18:35 (Ref:973668)   #38
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe that John Andretti was testing the DEI #1 car at Charlotte last week....and it it likely that they will run three cars for the Coca-Cola 600....

Oriol Servia is in Indy as well...according to the Indy Star...

So to summarize a few items here:

26 cars have qualified

3 more have drivers named, and should be on the track this week:

Marty Roth in his own entry

PJ Jones with Beck Motorsports

Greg Ray with Access (The Indy Star had an note that he owed Honda $$$)...but the car ran up on tech yesterday, which would tell me that they will probably be on the track this week...

That Makes 29.....

At least four cars that have "TBA" next to them are in the "Bump Day" qualifying order:

and a 5th TBA is at least designated as a back-up -- #66T

Additional back up cars for Kanaan, Franchitti, AJ Foyt IV, and Dan Weldon also are listed on that grid...

The Foyt car is ther for obvious reasons...if it gets to a "bump," he's on the Bubble...at least for now...with Larry

Although the Panther car (#44) is not in that Qualifying order, I see them running a third car...

I believe that the #23 is the other D&R car....

Does anyone know which teams own the #18, #21, and #66 and #66T???

Drivers that have been noted as being here, or as possibilities, via various sources:

Buddy Lazier
Jacques Lazier
Jimmy Kite
John Andretti
Memo Gidley
Roberto Moreno
Robbie McGhee
Oriol Servia
Davey Hamilton
Jeff Simmons (he did take the ROP and passed...)
Luis Diaz (He also took the test...)

At least one other name I haven't heard yet, but would be a good pilot to get:

Richie Hearn (I don't think he is running in OWRS)

That's 11 drivers, possibly 12 if Hearn is available........

Derek Daly said last night on WISH-TV (local CBS affiliate) that he believes that not only will there be 33, but he thinks there will be at least one "bump"....

Finally, I don't see AGR running 5 cars....four is a handful...five is one too many....I just don't see that coming about....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 May 2004, 21:02 (Ref:973801)   #39
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTW...I did sort out who the "TBA" cars belong to that are currently listed in the "Bump Day" Qualifying Order:

#18 -- PDM
#21 -- Mo Nunn
#23 -- D & R
#66 & #66T -- The Penske G-Force cars....

So if all four work deals there are the 33...Penske will probably do just one of those two, unless the deal allows for a back-up...

The Panther #44 is the only other "TBA" on the "500" Entry List...

I don't see teams taking their "T" cars as possible "deal" cars for competitors...

Thus, this will probably end up like last year....33 cars with no bumping...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 May 2004, 22:24 (Ref:973902)   #40
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I believe over the last few years he has done a bit of Nascar or Busch series racing as well.

I think he's good value given the right car , lets hope this is one of them
Old 17 May 2004, 22:31 (Ref:973912)   #41
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Davey hamilton , oh wow , but I thought after his shunt he was through ?

he was very impressive back in the day but i thought he'd given it all away.

this week is goona be pretty surprising if all these "irons in the fires" come to fruition
Old 18 May 2004, 09:02 (Ref:974131)   #42
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see AJ doing something odd on bump day, he always does, I can see him putting another driver in the #41T to practice and if he can run significantly faster than Larry, letting that guy qualify it regardless of whether Larry gets bumped or not (kinda like what he did by putting boat into a car a few years ago after he crashed). Currently though, if Larry got bumped soundly and he sent the #41T out with or without Larry driving, then it would be out to bump AJ4, which AJ can't let happen because of the sponsors. He kinda screwed himself by putting his cars #1 and #2 on the bump list. It's doable having one or the other, but having both was just really stupid on his part. He may end up having to leave the #41 bumped in order to keep the sponsored #14 in the field.

Cheever was on windtunnel tonight and said he would consider running another car, the caller mentioned Memo Gidley and Eddie said that Memo would probably be on his "Short List" I can also see Jacques Lazier also being on that list. Eddie is only interested in running American drivers and his deal with Red Bull is set up to facilitate that. He also said that he anticipates "2 or 3 bumps" this year. He also said that he hates being involved in bump day.

I think AGR IS planning on running or leasing out another car. They didn't draw Q attempts for their 3 backups for no reason. I personally see one of their cars as a better buy than the #66 since they have Honda power and AGR has proven to had top-to-bottom the quickest cars all month.

Also, ganassi may run another car, remember, in '01 he ran 4 cars and had no trouble doing so.

Cory Witherill may also be a decent choice to put into a car since he isn't a rookie and will already have all his gear at the track for his IPS ride. He impressed me in '01.
Old 18 May 2004, 09:04 (Ref:974135)   #43
drdisque
Veteran

Antarctica
Chicago
drdisque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only thing that sticks out in my mind is when he drove that god awful Toyota Eagle car for Dan Gurney in CART in the mid 90's. That thing was one of the most uncompetetive engine/chassis combinations that I can remember and it may be the reason why he has never really been taken very seriously in open wheel racing.
Old 18 May 2004, 09:47 (Ref:974154)   #44
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by marcus
I believe over the last few years he has done a bit of Nascar or Busch series racing as well.

I think he's good value given the right car , lets hope this is one of them
Yes, I left his NASCAR adventure out though since I didn't know where to find any good stats. That is, until today when I noticed NASCAR.com has upgraded its stats

PJ Jones has made 12 NASCAR Winston Cup starts between 1993 and 2003, with a best finish of fourth in the 2002 Sirius Satellite Radio race at Watkins Glen.

He has also made 25 NASCAR Busch Series stats, between 2000 and 2002, with a best finish of ninth in the 2000 Lysol 200 race, again at Watkins Glen.

Lastly, he also has 14 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series starts, 13 in 1995 and one in 2003, with a best finish of second in the Racing Champions 200 race at 1995 Tuscon Raceway Park.

Must admit I had no idea he had ventured into NASCAR as early as 1993, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Seems Robby Gordon, John Andretti and Tony Stewart aren't the only modern crossover drivers (which we, in my opinion, need more of these days)
Old 18 May 2004, 10:24 (Ref:974179)   #45
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the forums, drdisque!
Old 18 May 2004, 10:58 (Ref:974205)   #46
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Diaz is unlikely, but possible if Ganassi put one of their T-cars out there. It's great that PDM are, officially, still in business.
Old 18 May 2004, 11:12 (Ref:974217)   #47
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Has he had any results of note on NASCAR ovals though?
Old 18 May 2004, 11:45 (Ref:974247)   #48
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we can get 33, judging by the large number of drivers hunting for rides. PJ Jones, Greg Ray and Marty Roth would make 29 - beyond that I can imagine Kite at PDM, Buddy at Foyt, someone in one of the Penske G-Forces, and maybe McGehee or someone else at Panther. Second cars from Nunn and D&R can't be ruled out either.
Old 18 May 2004, 12:25 (Ref:974301)   #49
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Might Cheever go out himself, do you think? He does keep denying that he's retired from racing.
Old 18 May 2004, 13:28 (Ref:974360)   #50
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
INdy is the toughest (albeit most important) race of the year, thus it's unlikely than an untrained 45-year-old may make an attempt.
It wouldn't be very safe IMO.