Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 6 Jun 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2705552)   #26
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
absolutely appalling. that rescue team should never be allowed on a racecourse again. that could have easily been a real tragedy.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 17:28 (Ref:2705585)   #27
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It reminded me of the bad old days of motor racing and she was lucky that it wasn't a fuel fire as with that bunch trying to put it out she would have stood no chance. Wouldn't give you much confidence if you were competing in the series and it proves yet again just how good are British marshals are.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2705598)   #28
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when the safety vehicle first pulled up the crew didn't seem to be in any hurry to get out of the car and get the situation sorted.

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 6 Jun 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2705718)   #29
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry about the picture failure...if you look at a photo of any IndyCar, there is a red ring with an "E" symbol on the left side roll bar cowling, just aft of the headrest. That's master kill switch for ignition and activation for on-board fire supression.

Seems to me the first guy out of the truck should be laying powder or foam, the second guy to the car pulls the ring and works on pulling the driver.

I totally agree with Whosyer, the long, slow slide of the burning car should have enabled the safety truck to intercept it on the apron. Extinguishers in hand. It was 20 seconds after impact, easy.

No training, but as a mechanic I have put out three car fires before. You stop the fire first, before it has an opportunity to spread. Beyond blowing the onboard system, extracting the driver is secondary to preventing the flames from getting out of control and making the rescue impossible.

Isn't that more logical? If mountainstar's point about the driver being unable to move was the case, the entire procedure that was followed is a$$ backwards.

I hope this whole episode becomes a training film for safety crews the world over. We have all seen videos of how it is done correctly (Gerhard Berger crash '89 is another good example). Now everyone knows how to do it wrong.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 22:04 (Ref:2705746)   #30
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HVM speaks out:

http://www.racer.com/hvm-criticizes-...rticle/171800/
Old 6 Jun 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2705749)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
"ashamed"
"circus"
"speechless"

they (and Simona) were a helluva lot nicer than i would have been.
Old 6 Jun 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2705792)   #32
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right in half on the safety crew's delay.

The other half thinks "isn't a driver supposed to get themselves out of a car in 4 seconds?" My dad commented he didn't think she took her steering wheel off and that was why she was stuck in the car for so long. Looking at the replay I never saw it come out. Simona's like stuck in the car for 20 seconds and she could walk fine after so it wasn't like she had a leg injury preventing her from getting out. Safety crew was incompetent there but so was de Silvestro.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 00:05 (Ref:2705796)   #33
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Ryan, you should write that as a cover letter and mail your resume to the the IRL. Or whatever it is supposed to be called.

Maybe ACS works.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 00:39 (Ref:2705802)   #34
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Ryan, you should write that as a cover letter and mail your resume to the the IRL. Or whatever it is supposed to be called.

Maybe ACS works.
Nah. I'd get fired within a week for being too honest with the league, teams, and drivers.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 01:19 (Ref:2705809)   #35
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
No, I think blaming a driver for not quickly getting out of a burning race car is right up the company line.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 02:09 (Ref:2705818)   #36
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No, I think blaming a driver for not quickly getting out of a burning race car is right up the company line.
x 2. What if she had been unconscious?
Old 7 Jun 2010, 02:11 (Ref:2705820)   #37
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
What company line? I said they did a bad job. There's a damn good reason though why a driver has to get out of their car in 4-6 seconds, we saw why last night, and I've seen other drivers in bad situations more constricted than de Silvestro was move a whole lot quicker. She could've panicked which is a normal reaction, but panicking in a racecar can easily lead to death or serious injury, just as panicking when you're the safety crew can easily lead to a driver's death or serious injury.

But thank you so much for being an a-hole with your post. It touches me deep down in my heart.

edit: de Silvestro's steering wheel was out of the car looking at it tonight. My mistake there.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 02:49 (Ref:2705826)   #38
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i see Ryan's point...i've seen drivers move much quicker from burning of cars. but why couldn't she get out? did she panic or was the head restraint stuck, perhaps, melted in place?

it makes no difference if she was unconscious or not. they extinguished the fire just after she got out, and the fire related injuries would have been just as severe, IMO.

but it is not up to the driver alone to get out. where the drivers fail, the safety crew MUST step in quickly, efficiently and without hesitation.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 15:14 (Ref:2706148)   #39
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looked like she and the safety crew panicked after their first attempts did not suceed.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2706184)   #40
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just able to get in to post this, but I'm glad I was not the only one who feels this way... I was completely infuriated after watching this incident. Completely unacceptable. These guys should spend some time with the NHRA Safety Safari.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2706403)   #41
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So why didn't the driver activate the on board fire bottle, I'm also pretty sure you can see her remove the steering wheel as soon as the car stops.
Old 7 Jun 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2706435)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
i see Ryan's point...i've seen drivers move much quicker from burning of cars. but why couldn't she get out? did she panic or was the head restraint stuck, perhaps, melted in place?

it makes no difference if she was unconscious or not. they extinguished the fire just after she got out, and the fire related injuries would have been just as severe, IMO.

but it is not up to the driver alone to get out. where the drivers fail, the safety crew MUST step in quickly, efficiently and without hesitation.
Not wanting to over egg the pudding the marshals did a rubbish job.

Having watched it again, she removed the sterring wheel ok but after that, she remained in the car but she is moving. I think her belt may have got stuck because the marshall, who goes to the car, is fiddling inside the cockpit and is clearly having trouble and beckons one his colleagues over. Then they actually have trouble pulling her out, like she's stuck.

Isn't there a switch/button that the driver can operate that sets of the fire-extinguisher?

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 8 Jun 2010 at 00:06. Reason: Addendum
Old 8 Jun 2010, 00:49 (Ref:2706442)   #43
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
I went to the site of a rather long-running blogger, who placed part of the blame on Simona for her slow exit. Included in his rambling was the accusation that she was frought with panic.

This blogger has demonstrated total ignorance in the past, and what is particularly disconcerting is that he is one of the "journalists' with whom Randy Bernard has shared dinner and their collective wisdom about the state of IndyCar.

So here's part of my response to him. I won't apologize for the tone of my remarks, as they were directed to a pseudo-expert and not the readers here:

And that’s not the first step for the first man on site? To cut off potential electrical ignition sources? Was the engine still running, continuing to enable fuel delivery? No matter what was burning, you cut the power.

Show me where somebody reaches for the switch. Show me where the on-board extinguisher goes off.

Simona pulls the steering wheel as soon as the car comes to a stop. Panic my a$$. Then she is struggling in front of her. Problem seeing her harness release through a tinted visor in a smoking car? Prolly not. Glad you didn’t blame her for not lifting her visor, too.

Did you happen to notice that the right front suspension was crushed up against the tub? Ever hear of a driver getting their feet or legs caught up when front suspension components penetrate the footbox area? Maybe the steering rack smashed down so a driver can’t free their lower body easily?

Sure looks like that’s the struggle, down in front. About 30 seconds of the driver, then with assistance, trying to clear an obstruction that is preventing her from lifting herself out of the seat.

That’s not a harness quick-release problem, or a headrest problem. It’s a crashed racecar allowed to burn too long. The first assumption on site should be that the driver might be pinned, or otherwise incapacitated. Thank goodness she was able to help herself get out.

Think about Mike in the same pickle.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 01:00 (Ref:2706446)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Did you happen to notice that the right front suspension was crushed up against the tub? Ever hear of a driver getting their feet or legs caught up when front suspension components penetrate the footbox area? Maybe the steering rack smashed down so a driver can’t free their lower body easily?

Sure looks like that’s the struggle, down in front. About 30 seconds of the driver, then with assistance, trying to clear an obstruction that is preventing her from lifting herself out of the seat.

That’s not a harness quick-release problem, or a headrest problem. It’s a crashed racecar allowed to burn too long. The first assumption on site should be that the driver might be pinned, or otherwise incapacitated. Thank goodness she was able to help herself get out.
That would make sense as she clearly struggled to try and get out herself and the track marshall who did ventually pull her out had to try a few times and as she walked away it looks like she reaches down to her right leg.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 07:00 (Ref:2706501)   #45
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it have been the case that the extinguisher was damaged in the impact or the fuel for the fire simply was too strong for the extinguisher to work as desired? It appears that the headrest could have been an issue in this case.

After this incident and the one involving the Lambo at Brno, there must be a review of how to deal with accidents with significant fire
Old 8 Jun 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2706647)   #46
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Not wanting to over egg the pudding the marshals did a rubbish job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

i wouldn't describe their response with any of the words in BOLD.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 8 Jun 2010 at 12:08.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2706711)   #47
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Let's be clear here -- Indycar does not have "marshals" at oval tracks. This was their (ahem) professional safety team. The six paid observers Indycar uses are not able to access the course. Only the safety team can do that. Observers are strictly "eyes on the ground" communicators.
keke
Old 8 Jun 2010, 15:01 (Ref:2706747)   #48
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
Whosyermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I understand Simona's praise of the safety crew... they made mistakes, they had equipment failures, they took too long and looked like they had never done this before, but in spite of all of that they saved her life.

Something that will stick with Simona for some time... I imagine.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2706752)   #49
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I understand Simona's praise of the safety crew... they made mistakes, they had equipment failures, they took too long and looked like they had never done this before, but in spite of all of that they saved her life.

Something that will stick with Simona for some time... I imagine.
I don't know about that, she might just be very professional in how she handles the media. Certainly the way they yanked her out of the car and then marched her over to the wall wasn't inspiring. I crashed my motorbike earlier this year and put a 4cm hole in my leg, if someone had started dragging me around by the arm after that I would have decked them (Paul Tracy would have also!).
Old 8 Jun 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2706759)   #50
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
Whosyermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG View Post
I don't know about that, she might just be very professional in how she handles the media. Certainly the way they yanked her out of the car and then marched her over to the wall wasn't inspiring. I crashed my motorbike earlier this year and put a 4cm hole in my leg, if someone had started dragging me around by the arm after that I would have decked them (Paul Tracy would have also!).
You have to put yourself in the moment... at the moment Simona was wanting them to yank on her as hard as they could to get her through that horse collar and drag her as fast as they could to a safe distance from her car that was on FIRE.

I'm not defending their mistakes just pointing out the end result is one that everyone can live with.