QnickFTW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grosjean banned for Monza

for doing what he did in Belgium
Old 2 Sep 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3129099)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Indeed. Here's the story.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2...ban-for-monza/

TBH, there has been much worse than that which didn't get a driver banned.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 15:53 (Ref:3129103)   #3
QnickFTW
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

TBH, there has been much worse than that which didn't get a driver banned.
I agree, so Im kinda on the fence with this one. In hand, as you say, worse things has been deemed racing accidents before (and a race ban is an extremely harsh penalty anyway)

On the other hand, if you saw from Alonso's onboard cam how close Romain came of beheading him (I know its an awful thing to even say out loud, but thats reality) then I think it maybe sends out a good message.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 15:55 (Ref:3129105)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last driver to get a race ban ??
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:00 (Ref:3129117)   #5
QnickFTW
Racer

Also, at the risk of getting a whole army of LH fans going for my jugular, have you seen Lewis' onboard cam? What do you think?

Do you think it's fair to say he coulda drive off the track with one wheel to avoid it? (ala Barichello vs MS in Hungary). I in no way think Lewis' can be blamed for what happend, it was 100% the fault of a very careless and messed up move by Grojean. So technically speaking Lewis did nothing wrong full stop.

All Im debating is if he could he have avoided it?
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:01 (Ref:3129119)   #6
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Harsh...

Hamilton could have been banned upteen times last year, Maldonado this.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:03 (Ref:3129121)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What was the incident at Monza that the article says Grojean caused?
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:04 (Ref:3129123)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Last driver to get a race ban ??
Good question.

Jerome D’Ambrosio must think that all of his Christmas's have come at once. At his home GP he knows he's driving a Lotus at Monza, Italy! Ironically, the scene of another major pile-up at the first corner, not too long ago.

Last edited by Marbot; 2 Sep 2012 at 16:10.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3129130)   #9
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Strong but good to see the FIA finally take action.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:08 (Ref:3129131)   #10
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Way too harsh a penalty. I dont think there was any malice in it. Romain got a good start and was perhaps getting too creative trying to get to the inside...NO WAY he deserves a ban for it.

It was a mistake, but an easy one to make. It was a messy racing incident. At most a 10 place penalty. Other have been far sillier with moves, some intentional and no bans. I think Lotus can count themselves very unlucky.

Based on this stewards decision I am guessing Schuey and Heikki are going to be in trouble with their pit lane investigations
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3129132)   #11
QnickFTW
Racer

Quote:
Good question.

Jerome D’Ambrosio must think that all of his Chritmas's have come at once. At his home GP he knows he's driving a Lotus at Monza, Italy!
Isnt it ironic? His one and only Friday outing was scheduled for Spa, but at the last minute Eric Bouiller canceled it , saying the team is in a far better shape for the title than expected and he cant take track-time away from his two drivers now (which is fair enough)

... now Jerome gets a whole race (altho I suspect he will suck royally but hey, prove me wrong, I love a good underdog story)
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:11 (Ref:3129135)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, Salazar was the official steward for this race...
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:11 (Ref:3129137)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a strange thing when Maldonado doesn't get a ban before Grosjean though.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:13 (Ref:3129138)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Well, Salazar was the official steward for this race...
And he knows a great deal about crashes.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3129140)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
And he knows a great deal about crashes.
Yeah... Grosjean move was very "Salazarish"
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3129141)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Enitirely justified as far as I'm concerned. Rash moves like that, in the confines of the first few hundred yards of a GP could have catastrophic consequences. Yes, there have been worse things and others have not been punished, but there comes a time when action has to be taken. The absence of malice is quite immaterial - if there had been malice, I'd have banned him for the rest of the season......
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:20 (Ref:3129143)   #17
QnickFTW
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
It's a strange thing when Maldonado doesn't get a ban before Grosjean though.
To be fair Maldonado did the best he could to stay out of the trouble, jumped the start
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3129146)   #18
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It eliminated leading championship contenders from the race.
OK, so basically it's worse to take out Alonso and Hamilton, rather than Petrov and Pic?

Reminds me of Bautista wiping out Lorenzo at the latest Assen TT. Would've been forgotten after 5 minutes if the victim was called Barbera or Abraham, but it ended up in a massive outcry and punishment since Alvaro had the misfortune to touch His Holiness the championship leader...
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3129148)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by QnickFTW View Post
To be fair Maldonado did the best he could to stay out of the trouble, jumped the start

So very obviously.

How many thousands of us watching that jumped up and said 'He must have jumped the start......!'
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3129151)   #20
alfettafan
Rookie

alfettafan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also, at the risk of getting a whole army of LH fans going for my jugular, have you seen Lewis' onboard cam? What do you think?

Do you think it's fair to say he coulda drive off the track with one wheel to avoid it? (ala Barichello vs MS in Hungary). I in no way think Lewis' can be blamed for what happend, it was 100% the fault of a very careless and messed up move by Grojean. So technically speaking Lewis did nothing wrong full stop.

All Im debating is if he could he have avoided it?
Actually I do think Hamilton may have played a part in making this worse than it should have been - I wonder if he lifted off or kept his foot in thus helping propel his and Grosjean's cars into Alonso / Perez? Maybe Lewis could tweet a copy of his telemetry to let us all know...?
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3129152)   #21
QnickFTW
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
, I'd have banned him for the rest of the season......
You would be a hero for 3rd and reserved drivers, with you as a race steward we could have a pretty interesting battle between Bianchi and Gary Paffett for the title by now
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3129153)   #22
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the footage shot from behind the race starter pretty much said it all didnt it!

no sooner had they waved the flag for the green flag lap and pastor had set off for the start already!
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3129154)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
You would be a hero for 3rd and reserved drivers, with you as a race steward we could have a pretty interesting battle between Bianchi and Gary Paffett for the title by now
Nah, I'm only giving my view of Grosjean - comparing it to other incidents is really pretty poiintless.
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:33 (Ref:3129157)   #24
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You have to compare it to other incidents to see what precedent there is for careless driving. This rates less than many and sees one of the harshest penalties we have seen for a long time
Old 2 Sep 2012, 16:40 (Ref:3129160)   #25
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's pretty much laughable to see Grosjean getting a 1 race ban when so many eqaully/more serious incidents go unpunished in GP2 or GP3.

Like, Calado wiping out championship rivals Razia and Valsecchi at the top of Eau Rouge this morning... No penalty! Go figure.

No wonder why you see young drivers like Grosjean and Maldonado causing so much trouble in F1 afterwards...