Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Dec 2002, 12:27 (Ref:459465)   #1
TTT

I have a theory to explain Michael's dominance.

Please correct me if you have facts to prove me wrong but is Michael Schumacher the only current F1 driver not born into a wealthy or racing enthusiast family (except Ralf)?

If so, would this help to explain his work ethic and 100% dedication? Did he have to drive faster in order to beat richer kids in better equipment when he was younger?

Just something that was discussed over Christmas dinner that I found interesting and thought I'd share with you all.

Happy New Year!

Old 29 Dec 2002, 12:34 (Ref:459470)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
- Mark Webber (although having a family friend in the form of David Campese helps things along nicely)
- I am sure there are a few, what about Trulli and Fisichella perhaps?
Old 29 Dec 2002, 12:44 (Ref:459477)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His dad wasn't exactly skint, it's not cheap to buy a Kart for your Kid when they're 3.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 12:58 (Ref:459484)   #4
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
His dad wasn't exactly skint, it's not cheap to buy a Kart for your Kid when they're 3.
Well, you're a bit wrong. His father was an passionate mechanic (his job was a bricklayer) and he did not buy him a kart, he built one using an old lawnmower engine I believe.

Anyway, I do not believe that it is a connection between his 'working class' roots and his dedication (his talent has nothing to do with it). Also, I do not believe that every 'rich daddy's' boy develops in some sort of a spoiled brat who 'deserves and demands' and does not work 100%.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 14:10 (Ref:459530)   #5
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nah,don't think that theory will go anywhere at all.One of the greatest,senna,was a rich man's son.Strangely that gives me MORE respect for him not less
Old 29 Dec 2002, 14:26 (Ref:459535)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe because he actually did something for the homeless and poor kids in Brasil?
Like his 'Senninho' education through sport project for instance?

Last edited by ASCII Man; 29 Dec 2002 at 14:27.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 14:35 (Ref:459539)   #7
MrPress
Rookie

MrPress should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very poor people just don't get into F1. Even at the low ends Motorsport is a rich mans' game.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 15:17 (Ref:459553)   #8
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hai. Only the rich or extraordinarily talented who get a break. I'd have loved to go racing as a kid but no money so, no chance. Now I'm old enough to get a job but as a uni student I can barely afford covering fuel, registration and tyres for my car. I cry when servicing hits. Motorsport is 6-7 years away at best.

I have absolutely no idea if I have any driving talent because I can't afford to drive a car anywhere near limit because in case I'm no good, I can't afford to lose this vehichle. I can see how someone who WAS a real talent most probably would struggle to get off the bottom floor.

Schuey coming from a poor background would have helped, yes. It means compared to people like JV and so forth he definately would have work a lot harder to get to the same point. It's a simple socialogical fact.

Here's the example: You have a friends kid and this strangers kid vying for a seat in your FFord outfit. Your friends kid has decent sponsors too. The other kid has a few sponsors, but you can see he's obviously blindingly quick.
You might say now that: You'd go the faster driver but, you've known your nephew since he was born. Or the guy is a brother of your boss. Or you play cards with him on thursdays. ANY sport is clucky, there's always a 'club' surrounding it and from my dad's friend who I've met, a racer at Wannaroo Perth, motorsport is very very clucky/'club' oriented.

I Imagine F1 is VERY much like this. Not what you do, but who you know. Just ask Stoddart, Eddie Irvine, etc etc.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 16:44 (Ref:459586)   #9
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisichella's father is a machinist; His sister and older brother are both in the family trade, working in their father's machine shop. So there's one racer from blue-collar roots.

Kimi's father is a road builder, and Kimi and his older brother (a rally driver) had to learn to maintain their own karts.

Mika Hakkinen's father was a coastal radio operator. Didn't operate a company, he operated the radio!

This is hard research!
Old 29 Dec 2002, 17:04 (Ref:459604)   #10
TheGreatJuan
Racer

TheGreatJuan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Schumi works harder to compensate for his lack of natural talent. It happens in everything in life. Just remember when you were a kid the nerd guy next to you who would kill himself studying while the smart ones would get better grades without that much effort.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 17:13 (Ref:459617)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think that Michael has quite a high level of natural ability!

This background thing is a bit odd. Maybe all the drivers should have a weight handicap dependent on how much their parent's earn?

I don't think any of the current drivers has had it particularly easy (or hard?) and Michael is at neither one extreme or the other.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 17:39 (Ref:459631)   #12
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Well, you're a bit wrong. His father was an passionate mechanic (his job was a bricklayer) and he did not buy him a kart, he built one using an old lawnmower engine I believe.
I stand corrected! I just seem to remember hearing that both Schu and Ralf learnt to race on their fathers Karting circuit?
Old 29 Dec 2002, 17:45 (Ref:459634)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I stand corrected! I just seem to remember hearing that both Schu and Ralf learnt to race on their fathers Karting circuit?
Damon, they got the chance to show their talent on the Kart circuit that their father ran/managed, not owned.

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGreatJuan
I think Schumi works harder to compensate for his lack of natural talent.
As many on this forum know, i'm not Michaels biggest fan, but to say that he doesn't have natural talent is very wrong.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 17:52 (Ref:459637)   #14
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Yes, slightly odd thing to say there TheGreatJuan.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 18:13 (Ref:459643)   #15
expert
Racer

expert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
m&r schumacher, Hakkinen, Raikkonen, Button, Davidson, Fisichella, Verstappen, Alonso, Irvine, Massa...

All these drivers don't have very rich father's, BUT -much more importantly- they all had a father with a huge PASSION for motor-racing (probably much more than there son's).

That usually meant that daddy spent most of his time preparing- and his last penny on paying for- karting equipment.

And when you're really really good in karting these days, you have a good chance that when daddy contacts a manager you get the chance to jump into single-seaters: after that it's up to the driver and his luck.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 18:18 (Ref:459645)   #16
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure Taku's family are not weathly..........thats why he came through the racing school scholorship at Suzuka.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 18:37 (Ref:459654)   #17
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by expert
m&r schumacher, Hakkinen, Raikkonen, Button, Davidson, Fisichella, Verstappen, Alonso, Irvine, Massa...

All these drivers don't have very rich father's, BUT -much more importantly- they all had a father with a huge PASSION for motor-racing (probably much more than there son's).
Add Juan Pablo to your list. His dad gave his live ($$$) for this PASSION, and they weren´t rich, BTW.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 20:21 (Ref:459701)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also Trulli's Dad. I believe Jarno was anmed after a Finnish rally driver, hence his name not sounding Italian.

Not sure Rolf Schumacher is that big a racing enthusiast, but his sons must have had some reason to try it.

What about Duncan Coulthard, did he pass a love iof the sport onto David?
Old 29 Dec 2002, 20:30 (Ref:459709)   #19
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About JPM... I have heard that Pablo mortgaged the house without her wife knowing, and apparently they flew to each race of the Barber Saab Series hidden in planes thanks to some Colombian friends...
Old 29 Dec 2002, 20:44 (Ref:459719)   #20
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi
About JPM... I have heard that Pablo mortgaged the house without her wife knowing, and apparently they flew to each race of the Barber Saab Series hidden in planes thanks to some Colombian friends...
I heard about that mortgage story too...
Old 29 Dec 2002, 23:43 (Ref:459823)   #21
TheGreatJuan
Racer

TheGreatJuan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, slightly odd thing to say there TheGreatJuan.
The truth is sometimes odd
Old 29 Dec 2002, 23:54 (Ref:459828)   #22
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very apparent MS has very high natural ability. It is also true that that in the early days, HHF and Wendlinger in the Mercedes Sports Cars were actually quicker for a good proportion of the time.

Where MS is ahead is his patience and application to the task. Senna was arguably more naturally talented than any other driver in the known world but his talent was unfortunately coupled to a self-belief and aggression trait which sometimes got in the way of his results/records sheet.

Statisically, MS holds all the records (except for one!) and his application to extracting the most from his team of strategists which have remained loyal to him throughout his F1 career through the changing disciplies of the sport (pit stops, refuelling, SC etc) have meant he has got what he has and the results he has.

Very good driver with a great team of strategists on the pit wall.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 30 Dec 2002, 01:23 (Ref:459876)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I can remember Senna offering his services for nothing as long as he had a drive in a winning car in 1994.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 01:23 (Ref:459877)   #24
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, JPM used to fly between home and the states in the cargo hold of Fedex planes carrying flowers, huddled in the corner wearing winter clothes and eating soup. _That's_ dedication!
Old 30 Dec 2002, 02:03 (Ref:459883)   #25
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Yeah, JPM used to fly between home and the states in the cargo hold of Fedex planes carrying flowers, huddled in the corner wearing winter clothes and eating soup. _That's_ dedication!
Where did you guys get this kind of info ?

Haven´t heard anything about JPM being a stowaway. :confused: