Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jun 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3423541)   #201
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/industry/ade...lmp3-concepts/
ADESS still working on the 02 coupe
Old 20 Jun 2014, 20:05 (Ref:3424352)   #202
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SMP-Nissan for 2015

Not a massive surprise, I suppose.

http://www.planetlemans.com/2014/06/...ns+Newsfeed%29
Old 28 Jul 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3439333)   #203
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/wol...-est-en-cours/

Wolf are still working on their LMP2. Given their success in CN, I'm looking forward to seeing them in LMP2.

However, I think that there are quite a lot, maybe too many chassis manufacturers for such a small market like LMP2. Even if we assume some growth in WEC, TUSC and AsLMS, there won't be more than 40 LMP2 cars running next year. And there are plenty of chassis manufacturers, with the big ones like Oreca, Ligier/Onroak and HPD, and others like Dome/Strakka, SMP and Wolf. And Zytek and Riley are already planning for 2016/17.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 15:16 (Ref:3439337)   #204
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
does it raise the question of whether initially at least for the first year or two, lmp3 is going to take business from lmp2? teams can set up "junior" wings to look after the cars, so i suppose it'd be feasible for operations like murphy just to scale up and scale down as necessary.

(i know that's a bit of a leap, but i was just thinking about the lmp2 market and it being a bit steep for the kind of money that's around, and all these chassis and ended up at lmp3 for some reason)

Last edited by bella; 28 Jul 2014 at 15:27.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3439357)   #205
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
While spec, European LMPC showed that just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's gonna be a hit automatically. Especially when your car is illegal for Le Mans
Old 28 Jul 2014, 17:33 (Ref:3439397)   #206
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontlieue View Post
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/wol...-est-en-cours/

Wolf are still working on their LMP2. Given their success in CN, I'm looking forward to seeing them in LMP2.

However, I think that there are quite a lot, maybe too many chassis manufacturers for such a small market like LMP2. Even if we assume some growth in WEC, TUSC and AsLMS, there won't be more than 40 LMP2 cars running next year. And there are plenty of chassis manufacturers, with the big ones like Oreca, Ligier/Onroak and HPD, and others like Dome/Strakka, SMP and Wolf. And Zytek and Riley are already planning for 2016/17.
Are Wolf planning a coupe? I found it interesting they said they will keep their design a secret until it is on track. They didn't mention when that car will make its track debut however, or who will be running it.
Old 28 Jul 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3439398)   #207
TR.
Rookie

United Kingdom
TR. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Are Wolf planning a coupe? I found it interesting they said they will keep their design a secret until it is on track. They didn't mention when that car will make its track debut however, or who will be running it.
Would be surprised if Avelon Formula don't run their first car
Old 29 Jul 2014, 17:35 (Ref:3439787)   #208
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was watching the TUSC race over the weekend and it got me thinking about how I actually refer to, or think about, the P2 cars. For example, the Extreme Speed HPD was on pole, and if some body asked me who was on pole I might say the Honda - since the car is an HPD chassis with a Honda engine.

But if somebody asked me who won at Mosport, I would say Oak. I wouldn't say Nissan. I know the car has a Nissan engine, but that isn't the part that jumps into my mind when referring to the car.

Does anybody else think about the P2 cars in the same way? What about the DP based machines. They all have separate engine and chassis manufacturers, how do you think about them? As Fords and Chevys, or Rileys, Coyotes, and Dallaras?
Old 29 Jul 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3439798)   #209
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Morgan/Pescarolo Judd - Oak
Ligier Nissan/HPD - Oak
Oreca Nissan/Judd/whatever - Oreca
Alpine Nissan - Oreca
Zytek Nissan - Zytek
HPD - HPD
Lotus - Kodewa
Lola/Mazda Mazda - whichever comes to mind first
etc

DP just by team's name but the bodywork does come to mind before generic chassis (who remembers what was where...)
Old 4 Aug 2014, 14:35 (Ref:3441391)   #210
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Up to six HPD ARX-04b cars expected to be sold to teams competing in either TUSC and WEC series for 2015 according to HPD's Steve Eriksen.

Impressive prospects for a car that has not yet turned a wheel.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 19:08 (Ref:3441436)   #211
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
It seems they just make up a 'number sold so far' in each interview though. I seem to remember a week after it was announced reading that they only had one or two left to sell. Hope I'm wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if only ESM have committed thus far.
Old 4 Aug 2014, 21:10 (Ref:3441459)   #212
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Isnt there 4 confirmed to run in tusc? Thatd mean one or two in either wec/elms. That doesnt seem out of reach.
Old 6 Aug 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3442046)   #213
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Isnt there 4 confirmed to run in tusc? Thatd mean one or two in either wec/elms. That doesnt seem out of reach.
Don't confuse chassis sales with cars that will run - remember many teams buy spare chassis
Old 6 Aug 2014, 23:40 (Ref:3442070)   #214
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
No way, Im thinking 'best case' scenario with said 6 cars and more supposedly being wanted. I thought two two-car teams were confirmed to be running the hpd next year in tusc? I hope so.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 01:38 (Ref:3442092)   #215
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
There are 2 confirmed for TUSC, with Andretti and others reportedly considering, although nothing has been formally announced in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Don't confuse chassis sales with cars that will run - remember many teams buy spare chassis
With the cost of spares these days it seems that buying an entire 2nd chassis might actually be a pretty cost effective move. Not to mention the bonus of a spare tub in case of severe damage.
Old 7 Aug 2014, 12:24 (Ref:3442197)   #216
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Graham, what is standard industry practice for buying spare chassis? A spare for each car you run or just have one spare for the entire team?
Old 7 Aug 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3442223)   #217
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Graham, what is standard industry practice for buying spare chassis? A spare for each car you run or just have one spare for the entire team?
It varies. A few examples - Jota have a spare chassis that has usually been stored as a spare tub, Greaves have (or had) a third car that was mostly built up.

Many teams don't have a spare at all (very expensive!)

You are correct though, having a second built up car for a multi year programme is certainly cheaper than the individual spares!
Old 6 Sep 2014, 10:14 (Ref:3450721)   #218
Deleted
Veteran

GG mentioned on Suzuka 1000 broadcast that there is likely gonna be third tire manufacturer in LMP2 next year. Which should help to improve the look of this

Don't think anyone would bother with Conti-Hoosiers in Europe so hopefully a return of bigger brand
Old 6 Sep 2014, 10:49 (Ref:3450725)   #219
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
GG mentioned on Suzuka 1000 broadcast that there is likely gonna be third tire manufacturer in LMP2 next year. Which should help to improve the look of this

Don't think anyone would bother with Conti-Hoosiers in Europe so hopefully a return of bigger brand
It's Yokohama

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2014/0...valuation.html
Old 6 Sep 2014, 11:46 (Ref:3450734)   #220
Deleted
Veteran

Great, they were the one I was looking for.
Old 6 Sep 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3450762)   #221
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good thing Yokohama is bring their a-game in LMP2! So I guess it's 3 tire manufacturers now supporting LMP2 (4 if Continental is counted)?
Old 6 Sep 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3450765)   #222
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Really cool to see another tire option for P2 teams!

It's a shame that P2 teams competing in the U.S. are no longer allowed tire freedom.
Old 6 Sep 2014, 14:09 (Ref:3450768)   #223
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Good thing Yokohama is bring their a-game in LMP2! So I guess it's 3 tire manufacturers now supporting LMP2 (4 if Continental is counted)?
I have a lot of respect for Yokohama. They are not afraid to race in some pretty tough classes.
Quite a contrast to the Continental brand.
Old 6 Sep 2014, 15:24 (Ref:3450779)   #224
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
It varies. A few examples - Jota have a spare chassis that has usually been stored as a spare tub, Greaves have (or had) a third car that was mostly built up.

Many teams don't have a spare at all (very expensive!)

You are correct though, having a second built up car for a multi year programme is certainly cheaper than the individual spares!
Could be wrong but heard ESM bought three chassis.
Old 6 Sep 2014, 16:12 (Ref:3450786)   #225
Deleted
Veteran

So even if it's just three manufacturers now (+ Continental if you want to count it), I don't think there is any other category - except GT500 & GT300 with their multiple makes obviously - with more tire competition right now? At least LMP1 and LMGTE (though only pro) still have the option to run alternative makes at least, but most of the others seemed to have gone the spec route...

ALMS used to have quite bit of variety as well but now in the non-spec classes only one lone Falken in the Michelin land