Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 21 Jul 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2730174)   #1
jay_nation
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norfolk
jay_nation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Ford 1600 Kent - Webber Tuning/Power Loss

Dear All,

I hope you are all well.

I am running a Formula Ford with a Kent 1.6 engine. (Standard cam/crank/lightened flywheel/dissy replaced with electronic ignition)

We have the standard 32/36 DGAV Webber and are suffering from a loss of around 16bhp in power.

I put this down to a number of factors:

1. Very poor cast Intake Manifold.
2. Reverse orientation of carb due to chassis shape
3. Oversize/ill fitting carb to manifold gasket
4. Jetting and carb set-up
5. Cylinder Pressures 1-4 90, 90, 85, 105 psi respectively (Surely this level should be higher?) Rolling road test = 79BHP! Very poor!

Points 1-3 are being rectified but I was wondering if there is any tuning I can carry out in order to improve our power. All valves and seats including timing have been set accordingly. Could the loss of power be down to piston rings or another mechanical item?

We are allowed to change the following according to the rules:

1. Jetting
2. Opening of venturi/throttle together
3. Remove cold start and diffuser bar
4. Fit anti-surge pipes

We are not allowed to blue print/polishing or reprofile the carb.

Any help would be appreciated I want to get the best out of our carb and engine.

JP
Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2730224)   #2
brianyoung
Rookie

Scotland
Manchester, England
brianyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have the cylinder compression pressures been taken with the engine warm and is that a maximum figure reached on each cylinder?

You should expect to see nearer 180psi if everything is well.

Could be worn rings.

How old is the engine?

Regards, Brian.
CSCC Tin Tops #19
Ford Fiesta XR2
Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2730226)   #3
GlenF
Racer

United Kingdom
GlenF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In addition has the head been ported (in let?)
Old 21 Jul 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2730251)   #4
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianyoung View Post
Have the cylinder compression pressures been taken with the engine warm and is that a maximum figure reached on each cylinder?

You should expect to see nearer 180psi if everything is well.

Could be worn rings.

How old is the engine?

Regards, Brian.
I take it you had the carb fully open when pressure testing...?
Well down if it was..
Old 21 Jul 2010, 19:06 (Ref:2730292)   #5
modee
Rookie

modee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi.
You really need to find out wether your engine is a proper formula ford unit or a tarted up van engine (or something in between). As others have said, compressions are very low. Does it have a GT cam and a ported head? Where are you? Anyone with a bit of ff1600 experience would be able to tell if you have the real thing.
Maurice
Old 21 Jul 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2730306)   #6
brianyoung
Rookie

Scotland
Manchester, England
brianyoung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko View Post
I take it you had the carb fully open when pressure testing...?
Well down if it was..
That would also help! LOL

Where have you been racing your Formula Ford?
CSCC Tin Tops #19
Ford Fiesta XR2
Old 21 Jul 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2730366)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The compression figures (although low)at least show that they are "somewhere" near each other.
Check compressions again with some oil in each bore to see if they come up, then you will know if its ring related. Don't forget that valve timing , a knackered or wrong cam can cause compression pressure loss along with valve seat recession caused by using unleaded fuel for a long time.
Any half decent engine prep person would tell you in no time as the Kent "ain't" rocket science
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Jul 2010, 10:54 (Ref:2733221)   #8
jay_nation
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norfolk
Hello all,

Many thanks for all your input, sorry a late reply I was away racing the back end of last week/weekend with FPA.

Brian Young & Dikko - Thanks for your input...The engine is the 711M BA Kent race spec engine, we have a limited history on the engine itself, however we have replaced the standard valve seats/springs and cam and have introduced a new crank and bearings and are using an electronic ignition system. We have only entered into the SEMSEC championship this year and are looking to enter the Souther FFord Championship next season after more experience and development.

The engine compression test was completed with a cold engine with the incorrect carb which was closed. I will be completing a new test soon with a good 'snap on' compression tester, warm engine and new DGAV 32/36 Carb. Results to follow.

Modee - Thanks for your input...We are based at the College of West Anglia and are very much developing our Formula Ford knowledge and experience. The engine is a Formula Ford engine as far as we are aware, how are you able to tell for sure? The cam is standard and we are not permitted to have and flow work or porting carried out as per the race regulations.

Gordon Streeter - Thanks for your input...As noted the new compression test will be improved, I will also add oil as you suggested.

Many thanks to all....keep up the good work!

JP
Old 27 Jul 2010, 09:24 (Ref:2733886)   #9
jay_nation
Rookie

United Kingdom
Norfolk
Hello All,

I have since ordered the new correct carb - DGV (Manual Choke)

Anyone have any advise on best settings/jetting with a Formula Ford Kent engine?

Many thanks

JP
Old 5 Sep 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2754817)   #10
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the best rolling road tuners in the UK is 10 miles from you and if you have a tuning budget (about £100) go to Peter Baldwin at Wimpole Village. 01223 207217. Make sure everything is right, tappets, tyres, torque wheels, warm engine (in a quiet layby down the road) etc, sit in the car - you'll be doing 90 mph in his workshop and he'll get the most out of your car with the correct jets. Good man.