Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 2 Jul 2012, 00:21 (Ref:3100721)   #2626
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They could ditch the second car and buy some time with that...

Dempsey is even bigger problem considering that he cannot drive anything but coupes, ruling out numerous options as well as the LMPC car
Old 2 Jul 2012, 04:49 (Ref:3100742)   #2627
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

Dempsey is even bigger problem considering that he cannot drive anything but coupes, ruling out numerous options as well as the LMPC car
I don't think the /11's will provide many spare parts for the /12. But I do think Dyson has two /12 tubs plus spares, and two or possibly three /08(/09, /11's) with spares, so I hope they are good for the season. Can they make it to 2014 with their current stock? Will the Lola problem solve itself in the next year and a half? Will there be a P1 option for Dyson in 2014? That I do not know. (Dear manufacturers, save the sport by offering your P1 cars for sale a la the Porsche 962.)

Chris
Old 2 Jul 2012, 06:19 (Ref:3100752)   #2628
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Speedsource/Mazda have a second car to cannibalize. It's intended for engine testing, but I can see them giving it to Dempsey for spares after the initial testing program is done.

OTOH: Is there a testing ban in place in LMP2? If so having that chassis might be a smart way around that.
Old 2 Jul 2012, 08:04 (Ref:3100765)   #2629
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Dempsey could go the Bailey P2 route .
Old 5 Jul 2012, 00:14 (Ref:3102195)   #2630
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ola-situation/

ALMS: Dyson, Dempsey Coping With Lola Situation
Both teams anticipate completing season with current Lola prototypes, despite struggle for spares...
Old 5 Jul 2012, 00:36 (Ref:3102201)   #2631
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Dempsey could go the Bailey P2 route .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post

Both teams anticipate completing season with current Lola prototypes, despite struggle for spares...
The statements in that article suggest Foster's more enthusiastic about the Kolles/Kodewa P2 (as opposed to Bailey's offering).
Lotus(Kodewa)-Mazda - that's an interesting possibility.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3102202)   #2632
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post

Let us hope they don't have any major accidents this season, unless the situation at Lola gets fixed, 2013 and beyond will be interesting for these two teams.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 00:53 (Ref:3102204)   #2633
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Dyson could ask IMSA to give (even) bigger BoP breaks for them, with an excuse that they've been delibrately slowing down in races in order to prevent crashes and usage of spare parts
Old 5 Jul 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3102461)   #2634
Deleted
Veteran

Apparently the PR1 team might field second LMPC later this year; they also have brand new chassis for Lime Rock

Also, Dagys previews LRP weekend:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...rock-preview1/
Old 5 Jul 2012, 16:15 (Ref:3102474)   #2635
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess this points to the idea that we will probably have 3 prototype classes again next year unless the merge P2/PC. I think we all agree that is too many since two of the classes have the exact same philosophies and are within 1/2% in terms of track times.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3102475)   #2636
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Apparently the PR1 team might field second LMPC later this year; they also have brand new chassis for Lime Rock

Also, Dagys previews LRP weekend:
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...rock-preview1/
Dagys mentions a testing accident for BMW at VIR last month with Jonathan Summerton driving. Potential new driver?
Old 5 Jul 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3102494)   #2637
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Dagys mentions a testing accident for BMW at VIR last month with Jonathan Summerton driving. Potential new driver?
http://www.rahal.com/almsnews/seasonopener

Quote:
Twenty three-year-old Jonathan Summerton (US) will join them as the third driver in Sebring, and will also line up at a further three races over the course of the season.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 17:24 (Ref:3102503)   #2638
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Meanwhile on the Lola recovery front, SPEED.com has learned that two separate entities are pursuing the purchase of Lola, including a North American-based firm currently heavily involved in sports car racing.
Dyson? Would make sense to some extent. If not Dyson then perhaps Tucker, but I can't see anyone else being that interested, aside from those two teams.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 17:25 (Ref:3102504)   #2639
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post

Dyson? Would make sense to some extent. If not Dyson then perhaps Tucker, but I can't see anyone else being that interested, aside from those two teams.
I think there's been speculation about Multimatic.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3102507)   #2640
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Earlier rumours were mentioning Multimatic.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 18:16 (Ref:3102518)   #2641
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Thanks, so he isn't a new driver to the team, I just glossed over him at Sebring!
Old 5 Jul 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3102619)   #2642
Deleted
Veteran

Interesting to note that they're still calling the following round "Grand Prix of Mosport" - which of course is perfectly fine as it is the one and only true name for the legendary circuit. But seeing as the track organizers have been putting that brand new title CANADIAN TIRE MOTORSPORT PARK everywhere in capital letters I'd have expected a new name... Canadian Tire GP or something as lame as that

I've seen some NCATS racing from the track earlier this year, no change to the circuit itself but there seems to have been some serious work on surroundings.

Last edited by Deleted; 5 Jul 2012 at 23:13.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3102622)   #2643
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting to note that they're still calling the following round "Grand Prix of Mosport" - which of course is perfectly fine as it is the one and only true name for the legendary circuit. But seeing as the track organizers have been putting that brand new title CANADIAN TIRE MOTORSPORT PARK everywhere in capital letters I'd have expected a new name... Canadian Tire GP or something as lame as that

I've seen some NCATS racing from the track earlier this year, no change to the circuit itself but there seems to have been some serious work on surroundings.
Yep, new tunnel, improved spectator areas with catch fencing, improved the walls, and apparently from what I've heard better washrooms and camping areas. Also, it may sound like a silly name, but a promotion Canadian Tire did brought a massive crowd to the NCATS/Trans Am weekend earlier in the year. I've also heard they may put new grandstands and suites in Turns 1 and between turns 2 and 3. It appears they may bring a Nationwide weekend to the track in the future, which will be financially great for the track.

Thank god they didn't seek Tilke to help improve facilities...
Old 5 Jul 2012, 23:14 (Ref:3102626)   #2644
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They probably couldn't even if the tried. His price is out of range and ridiculous.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 23:32 (Ref:3102630)   #2645
Deleted
Veteran

I doubt mr Tilke even knows the existence of this wonderful track... Even if he does, his usual draft of needed upgrades probably wouldn't have made the organizers overly happy.

I don't like the new name either but if that's the cost we're gonna pay for getting bigger crowds and more high profile series on this track, well I'll say job very well done!

That NCATS race was epic btw, and as you said great crowd too.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 00:27 (Ref:3102646)   #2646
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Even if he does, his usual draft of needed upgrades probably wouldn't have made the organizers overly happy.
That track in the picture looks a hell of a lot better than the new Austin circuit, and probably has more spectators than for the Korean Grand Prix.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 00:31 (Ref:3102648)   #2647
Deleted
Veteran

Yeah I heard those inflatable fake spectators tend to come in huge groups to the circuit, can fill a grandstand or two in no time

Won't cause any shenanigans either, in fact full customer satisfactory is always guaranteed.

Last edited by Deleted; 6 Jul 2012 at 00:37.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3102656)   #2648
amidst tundra
Racer

United Kingdom
Andover
amidst tundra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to the likes of John Hugenholtz? I know Tilke has been somewhat constrained by the modern H&S culture of the FIA, but I yearn for a Monza, Suzuka or a Spa when the Yas Marina produces it's usual turgid parade to the flag. I wish they'd keep his hands of the classic circuits, it was bad enough when they castrated Hockenheim.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 01:39 (Ref:3102665)   #2649
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidst tundra View Post
What happened to the likes of John Hugenholtz? I know Tilke has been somewhat constrained by the modern H&S culture of the FIA, but I yearn for a Monza, Suzuka or a Spa when the Yas Marina produces it's usual turgid parade to the flag. I wish they'd keep his hands of the classic circuits, it was bad enough when they castrated Hockenheim.
Sadly, for F1 tracks, because of regulations it becomes hard to design a decent track, although he's done a decent job with Malaysia, India and Turkey. All of those circuits, however, lack simple character, even the good modern tracks that aren't in F1 like the Algarve or Aragon have endless runoff and about 2 people watching from the grandstands and 1,000 in the VIP pit suites.

I do love Slovakia although the FIA butchered it for the GT1 race. Simple run-off is needed, but some of these tracks are just ridiculous and encourage stupid driving, even Spa hasn't escaped. You may not agree, but the majority of my favourite circuits in the world are in North America (I like the simple but exciting Aussie tracks as well). With the exception of simple safety upgrades like at the Glen, or the chicane at Road Atlanta the tracks have not lost their character they once had since the FIA is not in full control and most Americans couldn't give a damn about F1, so no need to butcher tracks for it. Mosport shows that you can improve a facility without butchering the circuit.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 03:10 (Ref:3102684)   #2650
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidst tundra View Post
What happened to the likes of John Hugenholtz?
John Hugenholtz died in 1995
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hugenholtz