Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 8 Sep 2020, 20:15 (Ref:4001018)   #5076
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
In case you were hoping for a return to Fontana aka Auto Club Speedway, things just a bit more complicated: the track will be transformed into a half-mile short track beginning next season (!).

More here
I guess I'll repeat comments from the other thread - need more variety of tracks, 1/2 mile ovals are fun and I liked Fontana when it was called Michigan International (or Texas World Speedway, if we must).

Strange move, but wonder if they'll attempt to keep a road course. I assume the drag strip will be unmolested.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 20:37 (Ref:4001026)   #5077
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Longer article here, with a map.

Lowlight: This is very bad for local racing in Cali:

Quote:
“[Auto Club] serves as the home for almost every amateur motorcycle racer in Cali,” tweeted Asian Le Mans Series champion Cody Ware. “Auto Club is the only track in California that hosts a championship like CCS/ASRA & WERA regularly. Willow Springs occasionally does, and Vegas is the next closest thing. Not to mention all the SCCA stuff.”
Old 8 Sep 2020, 20:38 (Ref:4001027)   #5078
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I guess I'll repeat comments from the other thread - need more variety of tracks, 1/2 mile ovals are fun and I liked Fontana when it was called Michigan International (or Texas World Speedway, if we must).

Strange move, but wonder if they'll attempt to keep a road course. I assume the drag strip will be unmolested.

Per the plans posted in the article linked above, the drag strip stays but the road course is gone.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 20:45 (Ref:4001028)   #5079
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Per the plans posted in the article linked above, the drag strip stays but the road course is gone.
Thanks! Yeah, that's an odd move and peculiar design. The drag strip is outside the back stretch, so this looks like a complete redo here with removal of the front stretch grandstands and that's a paperclip of a track!! It's also a pretty rough sketch, but this will be interesting to follow! Seems like yesterday when the place was built
Old 8 Sep 2020, 21:15 (Ref:4001033)   #5080
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Reading that article,, it seems shame and a little short sighted to destroy the track and replace it with a paper clip, when the Auto Club as it is, is used for other series. I'm with Anthony Alfredo, I wish there was a way to keep the big track and add the new short track.
Attached Thumbnails
Fontana.jpg   NASCAR-Next-Gen-in-California-Fontana-Auto-Club.jpg  
Old 8 Sep 2020, 21:32 (Ref:4001039)   #5081
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Reading that article,, it seems shame and a little short sighted to destroy the track and replace it with a paper clip, when the Auto Club as it is, is used for other series. I'm with Anthony Alfredo, I wish there was a way to keep the big track and add the new short track.
I saw the comparison earlier when google map searching it, but thanks for the sidebyside, bjs. I now think they intend to keep the grandstands, bring the parking, drag strip and everything else to inside the original "footprint" of the facility. As alluded to in the longer article, it might be part of the plan to shrink it (along with Chicagoland) and sell property.

Sign of the times, I'm afraid, but bring on a short track! Wish I could have it all but I'd take this.

I'm more concerned with losing the road courses, per that article in that smaller series and amateurs use the place a lot.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 21:47 (Ref:4001042)   #5082
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I saw the comparison earlier when google map searching it, but thanks for the sidebyside, bjs. I now think they intend to keep the grandstands, bring the parking, drag strip and everything else to inside the original "footprint" of the facility. As alluded to in the longer article, it might be part of the plan to shrink it (along with Chicagoland) and sell property.

Sign of the times, I'm afraid, but bring on a short track! Wish I could have it all but I'd take this.

I'm more concerned with losing the road courses, per that article in that smaller series and amateurs use the place a lot.
But would IndyCar race on a half-mile oval? I don't see it my self. Iowa I think is about as short an oval can get.
Old 8 Sep 2020, 22:00 (Ref:4001043)   #5083
TheMightyM
Veteran

I’d guess this is just a business move. ACS doesn’t draw like it use to (if it ever really did). ISC knows it can’t fill the place for the one NASCAR weekend each year. The track is due for a repave, which will cost some money. It’s also a big facility — lots of land and buildings, so lots of maintenance costs plus substantial property taxes. While the SCCA, motorcycle events, and racing school help, I doubt they cover the costs of the facility.

Agree that it looks like they're keeping the front grandstands and bringing everything else closer in. What they’re also effectively doing is taking over the local short-track racing market from Irwindale Speedway, which has been on the verge of closing for the past few years.

This also makes Long Beach even more important for IndyCar and IMSA — before ACS was at least vaguely possible as a replacement. Not anymore.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 02:38 (Ref:4001049)   #5084
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
But would IndyCar race on a half-mile oval? I don't see it my self. Iowa I think is about as short an oval can get.
I think they could or should try it. Then again, I think they should try to race on dirt, too soooo.....

Quote:
I’d guess this is just a business move. ACS doesn’t draw like it use to (if it ever really did). ISC knows it can’t fill the place for the one NASCAR weekend each year. The track is due for a repave, which will cost some money. It’s also a big facility — lots of land and buildings, so lots of maintenance costs plus substantial property taxes. While the SCCA, motorcycle events, and racing school help, I doubt they cover the costs of the facility.

Agree that it looks like they're keeping the front grandstands and bringing everything else closer in. What they’re also effectively doing is taking over the local short-track racing market from Irwindale Speedway, which has been on the verge of closing for the past few years.

This also makes Long Beach even more important for IndyCar and IMSA — before ACS was at least vaguely possible as a replacement. Not anymore.
The Irwindale deal I hadn't thought of....
Old 9 Sep 2020, 02:48 (Ref:4001052)   #5085
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sweet, Indy cars on dirt. Bet you want roadsters and Offy power as well.

But back to modern times and no old guys yelling off the porch to get off my lawn.

6k tickets for Indy this weekend so limited fan attendance.
https://racer.com/2020/09/08/mid-ohi...-at-6000-fans/
Old 9 Sep 2020, 11:42 (Ref:4001099)   #5086
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Bet you want roadsters and Offy power as well.
Now you're just being ridiculous.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:11 (Ref:4001155)   #5087
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But I'm not wrong am I? If they announced tomorrow Offy roadsters at Indy you'd tune in to watch.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:34 (Ref:4001163)   #5088
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
But I'm not wrong am I? If they announced tomorrow Offy roadsters at Indy you'd tune in to watch.
damn right and so you would you, sir.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 15:56 (Ref:4001174)   #5089
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I'd definitely watch that.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 16:23 (Ref:4001184)   #5090
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
damn right and so you would you, sir.
On bicycle tires with wire wheels as God intended.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 19:37 (Ref:4001231)   #5091
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Speaking of old, Jimmie Johnson to IndyCar.

Ugg. JJ is old... *sigh*
Old 9 Sep 2020, 20:31 (Ref:4001253)   #5092
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Indycar team owners take note: Perez to leave Racing Point after 2020.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...he-end-of-2020

If Sato and Rossi can win Indy and be outright championship contenders then I can see little reason why Perez can't be successfull either.
Other than that, he probably also has a nice sponsorship package (at least he did while at Sauber and Force India / Racing Point)
Old 9 Sep 2020, 20:33 (Ref:4001255)   #5093
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to guess he already has a McLaren / SPAM contract in his pocket.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 20:47 (Ref:4001257)   #5094
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I'm going to guess he already has a McLaren / SPAM contract in his pocket.
That would mean either O'Ward or Askew leaving and there has been no indication SPAM are unhappy with either., unless, SPAM are planning on running a third car?
Old 9 Sep 2020, 20:54 (Ref:4001259)   #5095
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That would mean either O'Ward or Askew leaving and there has been no indication SPAM are unhappy with either., unless, SPAM are planning on running a third car?
I'd thought that until recently too but I've sensed from chatter, such as on shows like Kevin Lee's, the occasional comment on how much of a difference there has been between Askew and O'Ward this season. I think their experience levels are very different though and personally I'd hope it was a third car. I think Perez's sponsors could help sort it out.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 21:00 (Ref:4001260)   #5096
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
I'd thought that until recently too but I've sensed from chatter, such as on shows like Kevin Lee's, the occasional comment on how much of a difference there has been between Askew and O'Ward this season. I think their experience levels are very different though and personally I'd hope it was a third car. I think Perez's sponsors could help sort it out.
It 's not a given Sergio will go to Indycar, but if the choice is between a Haas or Sauber/Alfa in F1 or an interesting Indycar seat, I know what I would prefer

If the sponsorship package can be transfered to Indycar, that could mean an extra car here or there and tht would be all for the better, no?
Old 9 Sep 2020, 21:58 (Ref:4001280)   #5097
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I don’t get it. Why would Perez, a quick and experienced F1 driver who is very highly paid AND brings an eight-figure annual sponsorship package be thinking of leaving F1? He’s hardly likely to be short of offers.
Old 9 Sep 2020, 22:06 (Ref:4001284)   #5098
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I don’t get it. Why would Perez, a quick and experienced F1 driver who is very highly paid AND brings an eight-figure annual sponsorship package be thinking of leaving F1? He’s hardly likely to be short of offers.
I don't know. I think he could find a home in Haas but his statement today implied the end of an F1 journey. He's good enough to be in F1 for sure. But that's precisely why I think he has a deal lined up - he could stay in F1 in a worse position than he is now, or he could walk away
Old 9 Sep 2020, 23:03 (Ref:4001288)   #5099
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Why would he want to spend the next few years at Haas or Sauber/Alfa?
That seem to be the only offers on the table, and both look like a demotion.

On the other hand, he could consider a switch to Indycar or WEC or similar and be competing for podiums and wins.

It probably depends on what he prefers.
I think he is too good to be running around at the back without a realistic hope at many points in 2021 (with the current cars remaning)
Old 9 Sep 2020, 23:07 (Ref:4001289)   #5100
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Plenty of offers? Most seats are full already.

Haas x2 likely open
Alfa x1 possible but Ferrari might want another young driver slot
Alfa Tauri x1 if they release Kyvat but not many rumors that way

Remaining seats are filled so basically it's Haas or out of F1 for him.

His sponsors can get much more for their money in Indy and get Veach's seat with Andretti in a second.