Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Jan 2004, 21:56 (Ref:832048)   #1
Jorgen
Rookie

Jorgen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GULF color codes

I am looking for the paint color codes for the classic GULF racing paint in sky blue and orange. Any leads appreciated.

Jorgen
Old 8 Jan 2004, 23:29 (Ref:832137)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What are you planning to paint?

I've seen a few club racers around Britain in Gulf colours. I see a MGF a lot.

Someone in our series did a theme on Gulf as we where considering it. Well he painted some of his blue car orange. We decided to go a purple, which when we matched up to Silk Cut we found we had the 'ideal for TV' match. It is closer than people think, but the car has the 'pink peril' tag a lot! Still the boxed writting gives an idea of the design.

Half way through this last year some one actually did do a decent effort of a Gulf XJS. Really nice. I don't know if they had the correct colour match, but it looks pretty spot on. Although I've never seen it parked by a GT40 or 917!

Is it a definite colour or did it change slightly. (of course in the '90s the McLarens and Kremer K8 has a much darker blue and some silver thrown in).
Old 9 Jan 2004, 12:06 (Ref:832560)   #3
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's an SRF in the US I've seen with Gulf colors on it.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 14:20 (Ref:832684)   #4
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unhelpfully, I drove past a Gulf liveried petrol station over the festive period, and noticed they use a standard dark blue colour these days?
Old 9 Jan 2004, 20:02 (Ref:832967)   #5
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something like this?

http://home.zonnet.nl/creugers13/index/bct/bct04.jpg

If this comes close to what you want, I think I can find an email adres from this Mini owner.
Old 9 Jan 2004, 21:58 (Ref:833064)   #6
Carousel
Rookie

Carousel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know about the precise PSM numbers, but the Maison Blanche site's color scheme seems fairly accurate:

http://www.maisonblanche.co.uk/index2.html
Old 9 Jan 2004, 23:49 (Ref:833134)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Jorgen, you have a PM
Old 10 Jan 2004, 00:14 (Ref:833155)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you know the secret formula Tim?
Old 10 Jan 2004, 00:23 (Ref:833171)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
No, but I know a man who does
Old 10 Jan 2004, 00:26 (Ref:833175)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
that's just as good!
Old 10 Jan 2004, 07:50 (Ref:833385)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If anyone has seen last years Le Mans annual, there is an interesting photo of a carvan, painted in Gulf Colours.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 10:30 (Ref:833427)   #12
EliseGT1
Racer

EliseGT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe wait for the colors of the new Ford GT to be "available". This is (as far as I know) the only modern car with these colors...

Or even better: you can try to send a message to Gunnarracing.com (you know Gunnar Jeanette don't you), since they continuously restore old Porsches and I have no doubt they already had to spray a car in those colors once. Give it a try...
Old 10 Jan 2004, 10:50 (Ref:833438)   #13
Jorgen
Rookie

I have asked Gunnar Racing, but have not recived any information back.
Any other leads?
Old 10 Jan 2004, 11:30 (Ref:833453)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Jorgen, did you get my PM?
Old 10 Jan 2004, 12:34 (Ref:833485)   #15
Jorgen
Rookie

Yes, thank you I did.
Thanks for your efforts, I will let you know the outcome.
Jorgen
Old 10 Jan 2004, 20:21 (Ref:833762)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well look what I saw at the Autosport show today..............
Attached Thumbnails
dscf0106.jpg  
Old 10 Jan 2004, 20:34 (Ref:833770)   #17
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Looks like a 917 replica to me, LMK?.

For info re gulf colours try the link to cknet above, the guy who owns the car in rd's picture posts there, he would know as looking at rd's picture, it looks a good match to me.

Last edited by Nordic; 10 Jan 2004 at 20:39.
Old 10 Jan 2004, 20:36 (Ref:833772)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
When I saw it I had a feeling that it is a replica, but it certainly looked the part......
Old 10 Jan 2004, 21:25 (Ref:833806)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
For info re gulf colours try the link to cknet above, the guy who owns the car in rd's picture posts there, he would know as looking at rd's picture, it looks a good match to me.

That would be Graham Turner, I have already given Jorgen his contact details.
Old 11 Jan 2004, 11:19 (Ref:834182)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
What a beauty... any chance to have a 917 in the Classic field in July ?
Old 12 Jan 2004, 10:45 (Ref:835184)   #21
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is a replica but it's made from the original moulds (I know cos I asked )
And it's going to racing in the Sports Racing and GT Challenge this season...along with GT40's so we can all pretend it's 1969 all over again
http://www.srgtc.org.uk/

Last edited by PaulSands; 12 Jan 2004 at 10:47.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 13:48 (Ref:839237)   #22
BillandLara
Racer

BillandLara should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Porsch-ah!

Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I didn't have enough time at the weekend to go to the show as well as the Autojumble, but coming so soon after watching the movie again... I think I'm turning into a Porsch-ah fan again.. (Am I spelling it right Mags?) Don't think I will repaint the Midget those colours though!

Old 15 Jan 2004, 18:06 (Ref:839454)   #23
chris24
Rookie

chris24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
OK, the colour you need for an exact match for the historic Gulf blue is "Ford Powder Blue". Not sure on the match for the orange.
You can get the Powder blue in the UK in aerosol form (Automotive acrylic paint) from Halfords or also by Carplan. (Speaking from experience, I would avoid the Carplan stuff like the plague as it sprays **** and always sprays a real heavy wet coat.) The Halfords cans are much more controlable and spray well but cost twice as much but well worth the extra money.

You have to use a good primer under the colour coat first, I would use white under powder blue.

Regards
Chris
Old 17 Jan 2004, 19:42 (Ref:841766)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
I was at Croft today doing a bit of Rallying and I saw this, it's not a GT40 or a 917, but it looked pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
dscf0020.jpg