Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 26 Nov 2004, 21:20 (Ref:1165188)   #1
alfa_centuri
Rookie

Guernsey
Guernsey
alfa_centuri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trainee Grading Cards

As a trainee marshal.. i think i was supposed to get a grading card through the post at some point. at this pressent moment in time i havent received it, im in the SW region does anybody know who i may need to get hold of as i am attending meets but unable to get and signitures due to the lack of a grading card..

Any help would be appreciated
Old 26 Nov 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1165204)   #2
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Try

www.marshals.co.uk

then click on the map for the SW and the contact details will be there!
Old 26 Nov 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1165250)   #3
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Alfa,

Contact Trevor Jackson, chairman of the SW region. I'll PM his details through to you.

Steve
Old 27 Nov 2004, 09:21 (Ref:1165489)   #4
JLD
Racer

JLD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting a grading card is only half of it. All too often I've been unable to obtain signatures this year - "no-one on the post qualified to sign".
Am I destined to spend eternity as a trainee with a half filled card.
TBH, it would be very easy for me to do so - I've already been in the situation of being the most experienced on a post (more than once).
Old 27 Nov 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1165512)   #5
John Watson
Racer

England
Burgh on Bain - Lincolnshire
John Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JLD - You should contact the Chief Marshal of each meeting that you are going to attend, and request being placed with an Examining Observer so that you can have a chance of getting an upgrading signature. It is not always possible, but unless the Chief Marshal knows that you are seeking upgrading he or she cannot help you. Not everyone wants signatures at every meeting.

Last edited by John Watson; 27 Nov 2004 at 10:16.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1165537)   #6
JLD
Racer

John, I understand what you say, however I know of marshals in my position who have done this and still been unable to obtain a signature.
I have not gone to every meeting with the intention of getting a signature. To me, the experience is important and when I do eventually upgrade I want to know that I have some experience behind me, not just the minimum needed to 'fill my card'.
Whilst I have yet to meet a marshal who isn't friendly, welcoming and helpful, I would rather marshal at a small, well run club event than at a big 'faceless' meeting. The big events seem to be (reasonably) well manned, the small 'club' events need the help.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1165646)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by JLD
John, I understand what you say, however I know of marshals in my position who have done this and still been unable to obtain a signature.
Is the reason they have not obtained a signature that there hasn't been an Examining Observer on their post, or is it that they have had nothing to do? Signatures are given as proof of satisfactory performance. If you haven't had an incident to deal with, you can't expect a signature; if you haven't done the job satisfactorily you may be refused a signature.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1165658)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JLD - At a guess, you marshal at Cadwell Park?
Cadwell unfortunately seems to suffer from a lack of Examining Officials which is a shame, as it's a fantastic circuit with well-run events.

You are right in thinking that experience counts more than getting autographs on cards ASAP but there's no such thing as "Faceless" meetings!

As a Marshal, we turn up and perform our duties to the best of our abilities regardless of the status of the event. The other Marshals there are still the friendly folks you would meet at a smaller club meeting. You will also stand a better chance of being considered for a signature as there will envariably be more X-Observers.
The rules for marshalling remain the same at all levels of meetings and your abilities will be measured no differently.
So, if at all possible, try to get to a few other circuits or speak with the person who runs sign-on before the meeting to see whether it's possible to get on a post with an X.
As John Watson says, this isn't always possible due to the current shortage of marshals but if a CM CAN help, then he or she will normally try their best to accommodate your wishes.
You seem to have your head screwed on the right way though, so stick with it - it can sometimes be frustrating when you feel your efforts are going unrewarded - but you will be a better marshal in the long run when you finally lose that white badge!
Old 27 Nov 2004, 17:37 (Ref:1165715)   #9
Micky.H
Racer

England
A Little Town In East Yorks
Micky.H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Mitchell
JLD - At a guess, you marshal at Cadwell Park?
Cadwell unfortunately seems to suffer from a lack of Examining Officials which is a shame, as it's a fantastic circuit with well-run events.
Mark, when was the last time you marshalled at Cadwell Park? As I have marshalled virtually every car meeting over the last 8 years the one thing i can say is that Cadwell does NOT suffer with a lack of Examining Observers (although more are allways welcome!!!)

It is a shame that some people make comments within this forum that do not help the cause of Marshalling and circuits staffing.
Old 27 Nov 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1165719)   #10
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Micky H

It's a shame also that some people do not read the posts in full before making comments and inserting head-banging smilies!

I thought I was being helpful to JLD and offering advice based on my experiences.

If the number of XO's has increased since my last visit then I stand corrected.

Regards

Mark
Old 28 Nov 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1166167)   #11
Micky.H
Racer

England
Quote:
Micky H

It's a shame also that some people do not read the posts in full before making comments and inserting head-banging smilies!

I thought I was being helpful to JLD and offering advice based on my experiences.

If the number of XO's has increased since my last visit then I stand corrected.

Regards

Mark
I did the read the posts in full, but unfortunately your post gave a negative impression of Cadwell Park due to outdated facts since your last visit.

Why don't you come and visit in 2005 and see how things have changed!
Old 28 Nov 2004, 15:16 (Ref:1166227)   #12
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Micky.H
Why don't you come and visit in 2005 and see how things have changed!
I will - so long as you don't thump me!

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 28 Nov 2004 at 15:16.
Old 28 Nov 2004, 18:41 (Ref:1166362)   #13
Micky.H
Racer

England
Quote:
I will - so long as you don't thump me!
If you do come, we'd only make you drink Jean's tea at sign on
Old 28 Nov 2004, 19:49 (Ref:1166440)   #14
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alfa, there's some good advice there, and I hope you now have Trevor's contact details. I think there's also a training day at Thruxton in early Feb, maybe someone can confirm this, and make yourself known to all and sundry as well. But keep up the interest and attendance and soon the card will be completed!
Old 28 Nov 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1166494)   #15
JLD
Racer

if I could answer a couple of points.

I do, occasionally, marshal at Cadwell, it is the closest to me, but have been at Oulton and Silverstone more often this year.

The 'faceless' comment was not directed at marshals. As i said, I have yet to meet a marshal who is anything other than helpful, friendly and welcoming. The faceless comment was aimed at some of the large meetings where there seems to be so many people 'working' that those connected with the actual racing seem to be in the minority.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 09:27 (Ref:1166850)   #16
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I once experienced a marshal get a signature from an observer on a different post. I can't remember the club/meeting but it was done at but it was because an incident was dealt with well and the observer on post was not a black X so he consulted a colleague at lunch break.
(the observer was on the next post so saw what happened anyway)
Old 29 Nov 2004, 13:30 (Ref:1167019)   #17
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JLD, you say you have been to Cadwell, Oulton and Silverstone this year. How about Mallory as well next year. We have the advantage of only having 11 posts and quite often have an x on most posts.

All of these circuit are totally different and I hope you continue enjoying marshalling.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 18:45 (Ref:1167283)   #18
archaic gold
Veteran

England
Medway
archaic gold should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, There is a procedure where an Exm; Observer can sign a Marshal's upgrading card where the Marshal is on adjoining Post; in view of the 'X'. However, this must be pre-planned and normally final confirmation is always sought from the Obs or IO wher the Marshal has been working.
Old 29 Nov 2004, 19:50 (Ref:1167346)   #19
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To add to Fays comments about Mallory having an abundance of us 'x's' there was a meeting last year, where up at the Hairpin, I was flagging, Fay (an X herself) was I.O & we had another X as the Observer!
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1167461)   #20
mitzi dude
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
mitzi dude should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At my track after each meet I sign most of my marshall cards. They come looking for me.but one thing I might look into is observers on posts sign them too.after reading thru some of the comments sounds good to me. Rob
Old 29 Nov 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1167468)   #21
JLD
Racer

May have to try and get down to Mallory sometime next year then.
Old 30 Nov 2004, 12:43 (Ref:1167992)   #22
bluebeard
Veteran

England
wirral
bluebeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JLD why wait til next year for mallory? theres still the boxing day meeting
Old 30 Nov 2004, 13:22 (Ref:1168028)   #23
JonJ
Rookie

England
Uttoxeter, Staffs
JonJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So having got 12 lovely signatures on my card, do I just need to pop it in the post to my regional upgrading secretary? Or do I need to include anything else?

Jon
Old 30 Nov 2004, 14:47 (Ref:1168094)   #24
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JonJ
So having got 12 lovely signatures on my card, do I just need to pop it in the post to my regional upgrading secretary? Or do I need to include anything else?

Jon
As long as they're the correct signatures for that particular upgrade NO but don't forget to make a copy of the card....

Items have been known to get lost in the post.

Old 30 Nov 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1168200)   #25
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you done your training Jon?