Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:21 (Ref:3725778)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alonso at Indy (to Miss Monaco)...

...to race in the Indy 500..!

Story Here

Is it April 1st??
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:28 (Ref:3725780)   #2
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very surprising news, but why not aye?

Jenson Button?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3725782)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
How exciting. Never saw that one coming.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:37 (Ref:3725785)   #4
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Monaco, probably Honda's best chance for points.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:41 (Ref:3725788)   #5
Langers
Veteran

Langers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Monaco, probably Honda's best chance for points.
Exactly. Interesting choice.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:46 (Ref:3725789)   #6
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Very interesting. Possibly an attempt to keep Fernando interested...
Or is it a cop out? Have they promised him a potentially race-winning car in his 2017 contract (but craftily not mentioned that this won't be in Formula One)?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:47 (Ref:3725790)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
McLaren to enter Indy 500?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3725792)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seriously?

Very interesting and excited for Alonso as he's had a rotten run of late but it seems a low percentage move to throw him into an IndyCar at THE speedway. Hate that he'll miss Monaco and hopefully he can make the field. He should by just showing up, considering the potential numbers.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3725795)   #9
Langers
Veteran

"Fernando Alonso, who has started 275 Grands Prix, has won 32 of those races, has become Formula 1 world champion twice, and has been Formula 1 runner-up three times."

Impressive to have those championship results with so few wins
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:01 (Ref:3725796)   #10
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Hello Jenson. Long time no see.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3725799)   #11
Langers
Veteran

"“Could Fernando win this year’s Indy 500? Well, I wouldn’t be so silly as to make any such rash prediction, but I expect him to be in the mix. Put it this way: the team he’ll be racing for won the race last year, using the same Honda engine, and he’s the best racing driver in the world."

Hmm
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:06 (Ref:3725800)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At least a Dallara DW12 Honda has a chance of victory..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3725804)   #13
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Very surprised by this.
I would have expected him to try Le Mans rather than Indy.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:22 (Ref:3725805)   #14
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And as Zak Brown realises his share of the F1 TV rights fund is sliding down year by year, he does something that reminds Liberty that the McLaren brand isn't F1 dependent.

Handy, as renegotiation of the rights is a hot issue with the teams.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:23 (Ref:3725806)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Incredible development!!

Something going on as why would team/manufacturer want to lose their best chance of a strong result in Monaco?!

Is this part 1 of Liberty promote the F1-IRL tie up programme mentioned a couple of months back?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3725813)   #16
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All the politics in the world couldn't stop me saying YEAH! when I read the news.

Brilliant.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3725816)   #17
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Very surprised by this.
No Honda at Le Mans = no go for Fernando Alonso.

(I had fun typing that!)

At least this way Honda get some - arguably more - PR mileage from Alonso than they would have done if he had raced in Monaco, even though that race would be the best chance of a good result.

Fernando's given up on this season, and I think this signals the end for his time in F1; I don't see him getting that Mercedes drive barring exceptional circumstances. So hopefully next year, he'll be at Le Mans
Old 12 Apr 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3725817)   #18
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wonder if this will lead to him running Indycar full time next year because he can't be happy where he is.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:01 (Ref:3725821)   #19
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langers View Post
"Fernando Alonso, who has started 275 Grands Prix, has won 32 of those races, has become Formula 1 world champion twice, and has been Formula 1 runner-up three times."

Impressive to have those championship results with so few wins
Remember his titles came early in his carreer when he had a high winning percentage and he has been stuck in slow cars for quite a while now. At the same time the number of races per season increased from 16-18 in his title winning times to up to 22 now. That makes stats less comparable to say VET and HAM.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:15 (Ref:3725829)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blummin' marvellous.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3725835)   #21
fergus_r
Veteran

United Kingdom
fergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfergus_r should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Very surprised by this.
Fernando has always expressed an interest in running Indy as much as Le Mans. He's going for the triple crown.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:46 (Ref:3725839)   #22
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's not often that F1 takes me by surprise any more, but this certainly has done. All credit to the Spaniard (regular readers will know I am not a fan) - it's a long time since Jim Clark skipped Monaco to race at the Brickyard. Presumably Button will be called up; wonder if McLaren knew about this when JB was retained as third driver?
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:52 (Ref:3725840)   #23
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's an admission by McLaren they're crap and will still be crap by Monaco because it's unthinkable otherwise.

Don't waste your time sticking Button in, he was on the beach well before last year finished and he's done. Give Giovinazzi another shot. He's race fit and quick. Prone to errors as we've seen but quick - you can teach somebody not to crash but can't teach someone to be quick and all that.
Old 12 Apr 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3725841)   #24
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impressive that all parties managed to keep this secret. Hats off to Zak Brown for having the vision to do it, the nous to sort it and ability to keep it secret until announcement. Remember Mansell at Indy ? Alonso could be mega....Imagine Ron allowing it and picking an Orange car.....no nor me!
Old 12 Apr 2017, 13:12 (Ref:3725842)   #25
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
At least this way Honda get some - arguably more - PR mileage from Alonso than they would have done if he had raced in Monaco, even though that race would be the best chance of a good result.
I have a feeling Honda pushed for this, so that they can continue to use Alonso promoted as a Honda driver with success.
Any result at Monaco (assuming they could get anything) would be attributed to the car not the engine.