Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2017, 01:25 (Ref:3727445)   #176
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bernie Echolstone is the judas...
Old 18 Apr 2017, 07:28 (Ref:3727484)   #177
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
So perhaps F1Guy has an idea on what Christian Horner, Flavio Briatore and Bernie were chatting about yesterday? Any rumours floating about?
They weren't chatting about anything F1 related. I heard them discussing... dinner, I think. Something about a spit roast later that evening(??). Think I heard Horner volunteer to bring the roast, or was it.. be the roast(??). Not sure.

Anyways, this photo was taken later that evening, just before the three of them disappeared for a few hours. Horner barely had any clothing on in this photo. Very strange man.

Later on, Horner was spotted with a slight limp, and looked much paler in complexion. Was visibly shaken and spooked by something. Not quite sure what had happened to him.

Old 18 Apr 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3727519)   #178
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
They weren't chatting about anything F1 related. I heard them discussing... dinner, I think. Something about a spit roast later that evening(??). Think I heard Horner volunteer to bring the roast, or was it.. be the roast(??). Not sure.

Anyways, this photo was taken later that evening, just before the three of them disappeared for a few hours. Horner barely had any clothing on in this photo. Very strange man.

Later on, Horner was spotted with a slight limp, and looked much paler in complexion. Was visibly shaken and spooked by something. Not quite sure what had happened to him.

Seems someone had had the shirt off his back
Old 18 Apr 2017, 13:21 (Ref:3727554)   #179
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Chase Carey responds...

https://www.ft.com/content/33ef182e-...a-538b4cb30025
Old 18 Apr 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3727559)   #180
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
unfortunately the FT website now operates behind a paywall, so I can't read that. Hopefully his comments will also be published elsewhere wher I can read them.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 15:07 (Ref:3727577)   #181
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i am assuming these are not Carey's comments in full but he is making an interesting point.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36240.html

to me it sounds like Carey isnt so much concerned about the high price but whether or not F1/BE ever really delivered value/provided proper support to those who were paying for the race.

but then again i am conflicted...many of the new races and the ones who pay the higher sanctioning fees did so for the glory of their governments/regimes/personal egos so in that they got exactly what they paid for.

and imo, with Carey negotiating to put a race back in Turkey im not inclined to believe that he is doing much different to what BE has done.
Old 18 Apr 2017, 15:09 (Ref:3727578)   #182
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
unfortunately the FT website now operates behind a paywall, so I can't read that. Hopefully his comments will also be published elsewhere wher I can read them.
I think JA commented on what was said in the FT and includes some quotes from Carey...

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/...-f1-promoters/

Richard
Old 18 Apr 2017, 22:43 (Ref:3727654)   #183
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Oh dear!
Methinks all 3 of them need to be wary of the company they keep!!
Old 19 Apr 2017, 10:07 (Ref:3727719)   #184
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!

Cheers F1Guy...!! I have my own thoughts!!
Old 4 May 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3730996)   #185
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Chase Carey has said that Bernie was holding back F1 with his short term focus and saying no to a lot of ideas. Whereas Liberty wants to build long term value by looking to where they want to be in 3 to 5 years time.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129314

I have notice there has been less comment from journalists about F1's problems in recent times I wonder is that part of the changhes that are happening.
Old 4 May 2017, 15:35 (Ref:3731017)   #186
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Chase Carey has said that Bernie was holding back F1 with his short term focus and saying no to a lot of ideas. Whereas Liberty wants to build long term value by looking to where they want to be in 3 to 5 years time.

I have notice there has been less comment from journalists about F1's problems in recent times I wonder is that part of the changhes that are happening.
Doesn't liberty now own many of the journos? Like Autosport, motorsport.com...

And I don't know if 3 to 5 years really that much different from Bernie's approach.
Old 4 May 2017, 16:59 (Ref:3731029)   #187
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post

And I don't know if 3 to 5 years really that much different from Bernie's approach.
Motorsport Network is separate from Liberty. They are both investors in Formula E for example, so they move in similar circles so to speak but Liberty doesn't own them. Zak Brown was heavily involved in MN though.

Chase Carey is correct of course. Eccelstone was a short term, play-it-by ear kinda guy and we'll see Liberty apply a more traditional big business model.
Old 4 May 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3731034)   #188
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TzeiTzei View Post

Motorsport.com is owned by Motorsport Network LLC, an automotive digital media and technology company, who last October acquired Autosport and other motorsports publications, including F1 Racing from Haymarket Media Group. In April this year they bought Sutton Images Ltd. They are not listed as a subsidiary of Liberty.
Old 4 May 2017, 18:20 (Ref:3731052)   #189
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

Carey makes a lot of sense, when he says: "But in today's world you need to market a sport. We were not marketing the sport." Bernie's reluctance to use social media, was a good example of that. IndyCar's streaming of Alonso's test at IMS just shows how powerful a marketing tool social media is, with 2 million watching.
Old 4 May 2017, 18:31 (Ref:3731056)   #190
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Carey makes a lot of sense, when he says: "But in today's world you need to market a sport. We were not marketing the sport." Bernie's reluctance to use social media, was a good example of that. IndyCar's streaming of Alonso's test at IMS just shows how powerful a marketing tool social media is, with 2 million watching.

Yes Bernie never got with the times, to him everyone else had it wrong. And he never kept with the world economic climate with his prices either
Old 4 May 2017, 18:44 (Ref:3731057)   #191
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes Bernie never got with the times, to him everyone else had it wrong. And he never kept with the world economic climate with his prices either
I thought Bernie's reluctance to use social media, came partly from his fear of losing control and ultimately revenue and also from not understanding social media. Anything that went up on YouTube got taken down almost immediately, now F1 have a YouTube channel showing highlights and other content.
Old 4 May 2017, 18:53 (Ref:3731061)   #192
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I thought Bernie's reluctance to use social media, came partly from his fear of losing control and ultimately revenue and also from not understanding social media. Anything that went up on YouTube got taken down almost immediately, now F1 have a YouTube channel showing highlights and other content.

Yes, I think that YouTube channel start last season and certainly you can catch plenty of highlights, insight, behind the scenes and a bit of archive material
Old 4 May 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3731091)   #193
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bernie's approach suited the old owners short term aims, not unsurprisingly. Now that is changed, time for someone other than Bernie.
Old 10 May 2017, 06:40 (Ref:3732584)   #194
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Question:

What is happening to Mr Tilke and Tilke dome inc. now that Liberty has control of F1?

Have we finally got rid of him?
Old 10 May 2017, 07:58 (Ref:3732612)   #195
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Question:

What is happening to Mr Tilke and Tilke dome inc. now that Liberty has control of F1?

I don't know but I have not herd of any new fanciful GP tracks since they arrived.
Old 10 May 2017, 16:16 (Ref:3732678)   #196
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Question:

Are there any other countries, with no motorsports heritage, who want to join the F1 Club and need a track?
Old 10 May 2017, 16:52 (Ref:3732686)   #197
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Question:

I have it my head that I read somewhere that Tilke had a contract with FOM to oversee new to F1 circuits. Whether that is having a say on street layouts, or changes to existing venues. The contract also gave his company first refusal on design rights for totally new locations.
Old 10 May 2017, 22:35 (Ref:3732736)   #198
S griffin
Veteran

Is Singapore the last one not to have been designed by him?
Old 11 May 2017, 00:43 (Ref:3732741)   #199
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Is Singapore the last one not to have been designed by him?
According to Wiki (so usual caveats) Singapore is designed by KBR Inc, but it's a modification of a Tilke proposal, so he has had influence even if not an "official" Tilke circuit.
Old 11 May 2017, 01:20 (Ref:3732742)   #200
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Tilke gets a lot of flak, but didn't he design Sepang and Istanbul, two pretty good tracks?