Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Jul 2016, 19:55 (Ref:3658586)   #501
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Strange that Audi Sport, who granted have basically a permanent seat on the WEC's Endurance Committee but only field LMP1 teams, are opposed to a WEC GTE world championship within the WEC, when LMP1 already have their own world championship for both overall and private teams.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3658594)   #502
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That because the current solution works for Audi. They're winning or at least in running to win all these famous GT only races with their gt3 machine. They don't want to waste more money to create a GT+ car, which will most likely involve way more of a factory effort. They would rather have a cheaper customer program.

GT+ and with the FIA would most likely end the Pro-Am rules.

My guess anyway.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3658599)   #503
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
GT+ and with the FIA would most likely end the Pro-Am rules.

My guess anyway.
Yeah I’d have to agree with that. If you have the WEC also becoming the GT World Championship with GT+ cars, it’s just hard to imagine there being room for GTE-AM (technically, I suppose, GT+-Am) in the WEC or Le Mans. Current GTE-Am gentlemen drivers would likely be told to either go to LMP2 or suck it up and race against the big boys in the all-pro GT+ class.

The more interesting issue is what happens to the ELMS then: Does it keep its GT class as all-pro GT+, go (back) to a GT3 pro-am class, or drop GT altogether. Any of those three paths dramatically alters the nature of ELMS.

If the WEC isn’t the GT World Championship, then things can get very "interesting." In a world fun of great races open to GT3 cars, would a world championship participate in those existing races? What about great existing races that GT+ cars aren’t likely to win overall (Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, PLM etc.)? Or does such a championship skip existing races to run its own events? (Can’t have some local taking out the world championship leader, after all.) Is this something run by SRO to essentially compete with the ACO and IMSA? Is it something that’s used by the ACO to compete or at least limit the growth of SRO? Or would a GT world championship be something that’s competing against SRO, the ACO, and IMSA?
Old 12 Jul 2016, 21:14 (Ref:3658602)   #504
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Yeah I’d have to agree with that. If you have the WEC also becoming the GT World Championship with GT+ cars, it’s just hard to imagine there being room for GTE-AM (technically, I suppose, GT+-Am) in the WEC or Le Mans. Current GTE-Am gentlemen drivers would likely be told to either go to LMP2 or suck it up and race against the big boys in the all-pro GT+ class.

The more interesting issue is what happens to the ELMS then: Does it keep its GT class as all-pro GT+, go (back) to a GT3 pro-am class, or drop GT altogether. Any of those three paths dramatically alters the nature of ELMS.

If the WEC isn’t the GT World Championship, then things can get very "interesting." In a world fun of great races open to GT3 cars, would a world championship participate in those existing races? What about great existing races that GT+ cars aren’t likely to win overall (Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, PLM etc.)? Or does such a championship skip existing races to run its own events? (Can’t have some local taking out the world championship leader, after all.) Is this something run by SRO to essentially compete with the ACO and IMSA? Is it something that’s used by the ACO to compete or at least limit the growth of SRO? Or would a GT world championship be something that’s competing against SRO, the ACO, and IMSA?

If I was Ratel I'd want to keep GT3 away from this. It's essentially trying to pull what is currently GT3 away from majority SRO spheres to that of the FIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 Jul 2016, 21:56 (Ref:3658611)   #505
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yet, as some have said, there wasn't this talk of all pro vs pro am when both classes of teams ran in GT2. We mostly got GTE Pro and GTE Am because the ACO killed off GT1 because of lack of factory interest with factory teams or customer teams, and the SRO GT1 cars could barely last a 1000km sprint race without mechanical problems, let alone a 24 hour race.

That, combined with the influx of gentleman drivers who wanted to race at LM the overall influx of GT2 teams, is how we got this.

I think that the biggest irk that Audi has with the GTE rules vs GT3 is GTE's greater reliance on air restirctors, torque sensors and other BOP changes that are often in flux vs GT3 where each car is tested by a standard driver and the base for BOP is set that way. Also, GT3 cars can match GTE cars for performance (if allowed to) for less money.

Also, Ratel didn't seem to have problems with the FIA as long as Max Mosley was propping up the SRO and until the ACO killed GT1 at Le Mans and Jean Todt sided with the ACO in creating the WEC.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 22:01 (Ref:3658612)   #506
Mt. Lynx
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm
Mt. Lynx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think most constructors in GT3 wants to keep GT3 a customer sport. It's money in the pocket for them.
Thing is, Ratel wants a world championship aswell, but I do sincerely belive that he wants to run GT3 machinery in a WC.

Honestly, if they want to see this through, they need to step back and look at this with new eyes. Just setting up a championship and trophy won't work financially.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 22:30 (Ref:3658616)   #507
Rcz
Veteran

United States
So you want to win the big GT races and championships with a $500,000 to $600,000 car?

Or with a million dollar one.

And what other racing programs are you willing to sacrifices if you choose GT+? Can you even support both a factory and a customer program at the same time?
Old 12 Jul 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3658619)   #508
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For the classes at Le Mans and WEC, it should be LMP1, LMP2, GT+ and GT with GT have the same driver ranking rules that GTE AM has.

I really wish convergence happens this time round and it seems like it will with the major issues of it not happening last time not as big a factor now. However if all these GT manufactures want to turn up to Le Mans then I'm not sure how they can all be accommodated on the entry list!
Old 12 Jul 2016, 23:01 (Ref:3658625)   #509
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Is the GT World Championship meant to remove GT from WEC so that it is Proto only? Allowing LMP1, LMP2, LMP3
I very much doubt it. The idea of convergence is to lessen the difference between GTE and GT3 cars, thereby making it easier (as in less expense) for GT manufacturers to go to Le Mans. Having more GT manufacturers at Le Mans is something that would make the ACO very happy.

Could Le Mans function as both a round of both a world prototype endurance racing championship (WEC with just prototypes) and a GT+ world championship? Probably not, unless the ACO added another 10 or 15 garages.

Taking GT cars out of the WEC and replacing them with a bunch of LMP3s doesn't exactly increase the appeal of the WEC. Most people would rather watch some Ferraris, Ford GT, Corvettes, Aston-Martin, and Porsche 911s as compared a horde of Ligier LMP3s. Such a change would also take a lot of factory money out of the series.

Possibilities I see:
1. The WEC also becomes the GT world championship with very likely just LMP1/LMP2/GT+ classes (no pro-am GT class).
2. A separate GT world championship is set up, scope and leadership TBD. The WEC stays roughly the same though — it still might lose its GTE-Am category — with a trophy for endurance GT driving. The way the GT world championship is structured is such that it isn't entirely about long races, so that there's still some value in the WEC for GT cars.

Last edited by TheMightyM; 12 Jul 2016 at 23:14.
Old 12 Jul 2016, 23:10 (Ref:3658626)   #510
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giba View Post
For the classes at Le Mans and WEC, it should be LMP1, LMP2, GT+ and GT with GT have the same driver ranking rules that GTE AM has.

I really wish convergence happens this time round and it seems like it will with the major issues of it not happening last time not as big a factor now. However if all these GT manufactures want to turn up to Le Mans then I'm not sure how they can all be accommodated on the entry list!
Simple, you go to just three classes: LMP 1, LMP2, and GT+. If a current GTE-Am gentlemen driver wants to compete, then they would either have to go to LMP2 or race in GT+ and deal with competing against all pro lineups.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 00:45 (Ref:3658633)   #511
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
We currently have these major GT competitions:

World Endurance Championship
European Le Mans Series
Blancpain GT Series
IMSA Championship
24h Nürburgring, 24h Dubai, 12h Bathurst, etc.

GT3 is a fine ruleset, as can be seen with large grids in several championships. But some manufacturers want to develop even more radical cars, based on GT3 to reduce costs but with more freedoms.

How many teams can afford them? I think very few privateers can, and there's only so many manufacturers. And the point of factory teams is to race each other, so only a very small number of competitions must allow them.

The problem with the World Endurance Championship is that the prototype classes get more coverage. It's hard to follow four classes at the same time, and the broadcasters focus on LMP1. GT manufacturers want more exposure.

Another option is having a proper FIA GT World Championship. But which races should be included? 24h races, 6h races, sprint races? And how many entries would it have?
Old 13 Jul 2016, 02:38 (Ref:3658642)   #512
Rcz
Veteran

United States
We're making a assumption that the makes want to have a customer and/or a factory effort and therefore more cars for both GTE and GT3.

Really though the ball is in the ACO court. They should just dump GTE for GT3.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 02:43 (Ref:3658643)   #513
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
If I was Ratel I'd want to keep GT3 away from this. It's essentially trying to pull what is currently GT3 away from majority SRO spheres to that of the FIA

Pretty much. There is no room in this world for an all pro GT3 World Championship. I believe Ratel has learnt his mistakes from 2010-2011.

The Intercontinental Challenge is the best way to go about a GT3 World Championship using the best teams in every region instead of the expense of teams trotting the globe.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 05:37 (Ref:3658646)   #514
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No way will the WEC get rid of the GTs. Think about it, they would lose Ferrari, Porsche, AM, Ford and even Corvette and replace them with... a bunch of Ligiers. From the WEC's point of view that would seem rather stupid. They have a fairly good package now, don't mess with it.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 09:02 (Ref:3658659)   #515
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Making another GT World Championship is not only redundant since there's Blancpain, but it won't be successful.

Nevertheless, I want the GT convergence to happen.
Old 13 Jul 2016, 13:43 (Ref:3658677)   #516
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA/ACO to create universal GT class

The more I think about it the more I see convergence as pointless, same for the proposed GT world championship.

GT3 is on fire right now, a brilliant, easily transferable, customer and Am friendly format. The intercontinental GT challenge is essentially a World Cup for GT3 and I'd like to see that grow to a few more stand it races.

I don't see how putting what would essentially be GT3 and GTE in a race alone together would be good racing.

GTE/LM aren't really much quicker than GT3 in the straights, they often muddle each other up in IMSA. (I actually like GTLM and GTD combo in IMSA but as part of the 4 class system)

If anything, a GT World Cup should be based on GT3 and GT4 in my opinion, (maybe GT Cuptoo) two clearly different level cars, that work to a great customer platform.

Oh wait, that's the intercontinental GT Challenge...

What does adding GTE bring?

It stops Am drivers being in the top class, or at least in the same machinery as full pro lineups.

Not only does fully pro GTE mess with the positioning of Am drivers in GT only racing, it also brings a huge increase in expense due to bigger factory support.

So in my opinion:

FIA WEC remains as is with GTE.

Intercontinetal GT Challenge takes the realm of GT World Cup, expands to 6-8 races a year, and is available to GT3, GT Cup, and GT4. Allowing Pro, Pro Am and Am only sub classes, same formula as works so well in Blancpain

Old 9 Nov 2016, 21:28 (Ref:3686843)   #517
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO Ask Again for World GT Championship Status.
Here maybe we can know if the FIA wants to create their own GT World Championship or not.
ACO should be worry about improving the BOP that this year was a disaster.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...ip-status.html
Old 13 Nov 2016, 13:15 (Ref:3687604)   #518
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More about World GT championship
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/cou...e-pour-la-fia/
Old 17 Aug 2020, 17:17 (Ref:3996032)   #519
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's been a bit quiet on the GT convergence front. With prototype convergence apparently worked out, maybe this is the next inevitable step.

Personally, I would be in favour of it. GTE is a BoP (plus success ballast in ELMS!) formula anyway.
GT3 is slower than GTE but LMH/LMDh and LMP2 will be slowing down too.
And the dwindling amount of variety in ACO racing is starting to get a bit depressing.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...e-convergence/
Old 17 Aug 2020, 17:40 (Ref:3996036)   #520
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
It's been a bit quiet on the GT convergence front. With prototype convergence apparently worked out, maybe this is the next inevitable step.

Personally, I would be in favour of it. GTE is a BoP (plus success ballast in ELMS!) formula anyway.
GT3 is slower than GTE but LMH/LMDh and LMP2 will be slowing down too.
And the dwindling amount of variety in ACO racing is starting to get a bit depressing.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/d...e-convergence/
disagree... give them proper confidential michelin compounds and a min weight of 1250-1270kg and I'm not so sure that gt3 will be slower than gte. Anyway ford left, bmw likely will do it at the end of the season, porsche will drop US IMSA work program as well, it's just a matter of time but soon or later gt3 will replace gte... thinking better, the process has already begun actually since from next year only 911 RSR and C8R will be full GTE specs, both 488 and vantage were made through a convertible gte/gt3 platform.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3996043)   #521
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
disagree... give them proper confidential michelin compounds and a min weight of 1250-1270kg and I'm not so sure that gt3 will be slower than gte. Anyway ford left, bmw likely will do it at the end of the season, porsche will drop US IMSA work program as well, it's just a matter of time but soon or later gt3 will replace gte... thinking better, the process has already begun actually since from next year only 911 RSR and C8R will be full GTE specs, both 488 and vantage were made through a convertible gte/gt3 platform.
Well multiple teams who run the GT3 cars say that claim of better tires and they're on pace with GTE is garbage and no where near the truth. I'll go with teams who use the chassis to determine what would be successful.
Old 17 Aug 2020, 18:39 (Ref:3996045)   #522
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Well multiple teams who run the GT3 cars say that claim of better tires and they're on pace with GTE is garbage and no where near the truth. I'll go with teams who use the chassis to determine what would be successful.
sure, but af corse and manthey aside, which other gt3 team could make a direct comparison since none or few of them have ever handled a gte?
during 2019 season, at spa best WEC gte qualified in high 2.12, best gt-open gt3 qualified in high 2.15.
Now consider that BES trackA and gt-open bop are not that different; despite this, 2019 BES spa 24H superpole was only in 2.18.6.
Michelin gt-open customers compound tyres are about 3s worth alone... think about if gt-open gt3 cars were a bit lighter and equipped with confidential michelin, likely were able to run in low 2.13.
GT3/GTE performance windows we see it's just what bop decides to be.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 00:37 (Ref:3996104)   #523
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And the dwindling amount of variety in ACO racing is starting to get a bit depressing
Only starting? In ELMS they've had 6-7 models in grids of ~35 cars for many years now, and it's not much different in WEC...
Old 18 Aug 2020, 06:58 (Ref:3996135)   #524
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Corvette comment.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...ly-large-task/

Is the increased talk of convergence meant to get us used to the idea before it is announced, or is it just speculation for the sake of it?
You can't deny that 6 cars in GTE Pro and 6 cars in GTLM (4 next year, or maybe 2) doesn't look great.
Old 18 Aug 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3996162)   #525
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Corvette comment.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/c...ly-large-task/

Is the increased talk of convergence meant to get us used to the idea before it is announced, or is it just speculation for the sake of it?
You can't deny that 6 cars in GTE Pro and 6 cars in GTLM (4 next year, or maybe 2) doesn't look great.
I fear just 2 gtlm since bmw likely will drop M8 program.
Anyway agree with them, would be required a lot of aero work for a new gt3like splitter-diffuser and much more work for suspensions since a gt3 version will be in the range of 1300kg for sure and will get a higher mandatory ride height as well.
Not to mention a new or updated ECU to add abs and all other electronic stuff allowed in gt3.