Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Closed Thread

Old 31 Mar 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2166404)   #1
aeroehl
Racer

United States
aeroehl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Grand Am Healthy

Is the Grand Am growing or even somewhat profitable right now? It seems every time I watch a Grand Am race (and I try almost every race) I get bored with it after about 15 min. It does not really seem like they are developing a healthy fan base and the manufacturers are all going to the ALMS. Their DP are ugly as sin and their GT's are not really all that interesting. Anyway, this is going to turn into a Grand Am/ALMS hate war, so I was just wondering if the series is making any headway and how much longer the France family will stay on board. I would love to see another merger in American Auto Racing (with the ALMS winning out obviously not the other way around).
Old 31 Mar 2008, 20:03 (Ref:2166420)   #2
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A merger would be quite interesting, and is often on my mind. I wonder how it would effect the ALMS field - that is of course assuming they take the ALMS route. I would be very disappointed if they didn't because Le Mans is the race, and American teams need to be given the proving grounds for Le Mans. With the manufacturer interest in Le Mans, and the ALMS being manufacturer playground I don't see it happening any other way (I don't see it happening period, it would be like bringing NASCAR and IndyCar together.) Quite frankly, I'm glad the series are seperate, they are two very different products and both are unique. I think the ACO may even be opposed to a merger because that would result in the inclusion of Daytona in the ALMS schedule and the ACO if I recall, do not want their cars to be running in any other 24 hour race than THE 24 hour race. I think the series is healthy. Manufacturer interest is there, it is not to the same extent as the ALMS simply because they cannot implement their technology the same way they can across the 4 ALMS classes. However, Toyota, and Pontiac are spending some factory dollars there, if not in the fashion we sportscar fans see as factory participation, but Pontiac seems to believe it is a viable investment to have an exclusive rights DP motor deal for GM, as well as the semi-works GXP.R GT team, and the private, yet supported GT teams. I think their fan numbers aren't great because quite frankly the cars to the Lehman are unappealing, they all look alike, they all sound alike, and the in the GT category every second car is a Porsche. It is a fantastic series for the entrants, and from a racers perspective the cars are very challenging and unique, but that won't draw the fan support. I'm surprised they didn't make changes to allow more manufacturer input on the DP's in order to draw them in, thereby generating perhaps car corrals or something of the sort. I think they're still healthy, they do have a title sponsor locked up (that one can thank NASCAR for IIRC) and massive car counts.

Chris
Old 31 Mar 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2166428)   #3
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Has the grid (full season DP & GT's) increased compared to 2 or 3 years ago?
Old 31 Mar 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2166435)   #4
Zytek_Fan
Racer

United States
Zytek_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only thing keeping it afloat is the whole NASCAR connection.

It would be nice if Grand Am would die or merge for the sake of the ALMS...
Old 31 Mar 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2166443)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I too think the Daytona 24 would have to be a separate race for the ALMS to get the LM sanctioning/approval . As for the teams that make up alot of the DP and GT fields would be like some of the CCWS guys and not make the move over due to costs. Costs, esp containment, are the big focus of the GA series it seems and some of these teams are running due to this. It makes for a tight series but it is a little more manufactured feeling, esp when a Riley wins something like 80% of the races the chassis starts. It is a more contact filled series, which makes it both interesting and at the same time frustrating. Not a big fan, so I'm trying to be diplomatic in my criticisms and not attacking the NASCAR link. The series does understand both sides of the costs issue and looks like its trying to meet the big budget teams, Ganassi esp desires to tweak the cars, and the smaller budget teams loving the steady design. Plus the testing time is limited and the factory involvement seems to be series wide and not behind a particular team with other privateers, thinking teams like Penske Porsche vs the Dyson team. The range of participants also is wider with GT and DP teams. Then theres the Spirit of Daytona team building their own idea into a new engine with no manufacturer help/money something that is showing little signs of success in the ALMS with the Doran GT-R. Still just something a little off with all the contact and resulting FCY and their duration that turns me off from watching it other than checking out the Daytona 24, it's a long winter without racing and it's the early season fix.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 20:32 (Ref:2166444)   #6
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
Has the grid (full season DP & GT's) increased compared to 2 or 3 years ago?
Not really, has been stable on 19-21 DPs in every race for the last 3 years. Only difference is now 13 of the top 15 cars are Rileys, hopefully Dallara and Lola can change that as the year goes on.
Old 31 Mar 2008, 20:38 (Ref:2166448)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not sure I'm all that happy to leave this thread here... Seems to me that the community at ten tenths has largely decided on their feelings toward GA, which are not generally very charitable. Sorry, folks.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Closed Thread