Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Sep 2010, 05:04 (Ref:2761752)   #1
mwwyong
Rookie

mwwyong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Night Race in Singapore!

Anyone heading down to Singapore this September to catch the F1 night race? Hope Ferrari wins this round! I'm also planning to hit the post event parties and activities around the city area. Holler if you're headed down/thinking of going down!

http://bit.ly/cPLpjm here's the event information!
Old 20 Sep 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2761907)   #2
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Singapore is a boring track. To be honest the whole "night race" thing I never really saw the point of. It really is a useless gimmick. Unless it rains I predict we'll have a bit of a snore fest.

As to the winners of this race, well I say a Red Bull 1-2, with Ferrari probably.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2762054)   #3
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
60% chance of Thunder Storms for all three days apparently...
Old 20 Sep 2010, 21:55 (Ref:2762180)   #4
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Well fingers crossed that you are right about that. That would make for a much more dramatic race.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2762196)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can we expect more team orders like someone crashing during the race ?
Old 20 Sep 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2762222)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
These storms usually occur during the daylight hours, so don't expect anything in the way of even a slightly damp race.
Old 20 Sep 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2762225)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Can we expect more team orders like someone crashing during the race ?
Who could possibly benefit from someone deliberately crashing out of a race?

Sometimes Bononi your imagination just runs wild.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2762361)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's become fashionable just recently for circuits to have a makeover of somekind. Singapore is no different.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86845
Old 21 Sep 2010, 10:23 (Ref:2762393)   #9
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Well fingers crossed that you are right about that. That would make for a much more dramatic race.
No it won't. it will cause there to be no race whatsoever. They are all terrified of running a wet night-race because of percieved glare/visibility issues.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2762422)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I feel sure any real rain there is probably going to be a red flag due to glare.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2762433)   #11
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myywong,

Enjoy the race weekend, I wish I could be there as well. Singapore is a lovely city, night racing (as any enduro 24 hour fan) is always something extra special, and top it off with experiencing F1 in the flesh up close and personal on a street circuit, sight smell and sound and it should be a buzz that you will remember for a long time.

Enjoy!!
Old 21 Sep 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2762450)   #12
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
No it won't. it will cause there to be no race whatsoever. They are all terrified of running a wet night-race because of percieved glare/visibility issues.
Oh yes, I remember that when their were worries in '08 that it was going to rain.

Let's just see what happens then.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2762511)   #13
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just checked out the weather on the BBC F1 site for Singapore this weekend. Lots of rain folks being forecast. We might see delays on qualifying and the race or even earlier starts depending on the weather. Lets hope the weather remains good.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 13:57 (Ref:2762517)   #14
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we need night time weather forecasts not day time weather forecasts. I think we might be alright again as Friday night & Saturday night are looking fine and dry.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2762533)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Sometimes Bononi your imagination just runs wild.
I guess Singapore race has something to do with "the twilight zone"... can your hear that melody... ??

Another question, did anybody hear that Briatore was invited to do the honours waving the chequered flag and Nelson Piquet Snr will be in the marshall commission...

I wonder what surprise Teflonso might be preparing for us fans...
Old 21 Sep 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2762595)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Exactly, any rain and I think it will be ran behind the safety car for the duration.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2762603)   #17
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
I'm sure they've got a visor that reduces the glare. They should just put that on. Job's a good 'un. :P
Old 21 Sep 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2762643)   #18
Shaddix
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
Shaddix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
rain during regular GP: sun behind the clouds, very dark!
rain during night GP: no sun, tons of lights
so I think it actually might be do-able as long as there aren't too many flashes
Old 21 Sep 2010, 18:35 (Ref:2762652)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddix View Post
rain during regular GP: sun behind the clouds, very dark!
rain during night GP: no sun, tons of lights
so I think it actually might be do-able as long as there aren't too many flashes
Still I believe it's too dangerous.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 18:38 (Ref:2762654)   #20
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Quote:

Of course it dangerous, it's motorsport, not tiddlywinks.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2762656)   #21
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if they are unable to race in the dark when its raining they should not have night races. This isnt NASCAR, F1 cars are supposed to be able to race in the wet
Old 21 Sep 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2762694)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Of course it dangerous, it's motorsport, not tiddlywinks.
We know that motorsport is dangerous (to quote DC's catchphrase, it says so on the ticket). Practically every sport is dangerous to some extent, although not necessarily to the degree of motorsport - from horse racing (I remember hearing statistics that it's more dangerous, in terms of fatalities per 100,000 participants, than motorcycle racing) to football to golf. Within the context of motorsport by dangerous we mean more dangerous than it needs to be. Is racing under lights at Singapore dangerous within the context of motorsport? I don't know, but I'm not in a position to make that call.
Old 22 Sep 2010, 08:39 (Ref:2762895)   #23
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So how do things like Le Mans run in the wet?
No difference in an LMP1 along the pit straight to an F1 car in the lights
Old 22 Sep 2010, 08:40 (Ref:2762897)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A special yellow tinted helmet visor would diminish the effect of glares as well, not just better visibility in night time conditions.

Old 22 Sep 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2763084)   #25
aridshelter
Rookie

aridshelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should have headlamps mounted to the cars, and race without the lights round the track (or with very much more subdued lighting than currently).

The lighting direcion is forwards - so the glare is not going into the driver's eyes.

Obviously a bit too late to change that rule for this year - but would make a much more interesting spectacle than a night race which is brighter than one during the day...