Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:01 (Ref:2765188)   #126
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
There is a strong presumption that if a chap behind hits a man in front, it's the chap behind's fault.
Normally I would just call you an idiot, but that's against the forum rules.

Lewis, Mark, Whitmarsh and the stewards have all had a say, and ALL decided it was a racing incident. Lewis was slightly ahead, but on the outside of the corner with a championship rival up the inside. Webber was in his blind spot and he couldn't see him. He did know he was there though, otherwise he would have hugged the Apex and not left that gap there.

Webber was committed to the corner, and could do nothing to pull up any quicker and pull out before Lewis turned in.

Both drivers contributed to the crash, neither was 100% to blame. It was the very definition of a racing incident.

I've been here along time now. I guess I'm getting sick and tired of people complaining of no overtaking on one hand, then ****ing and moaning when the stewards don't give a penalty when cars get too close to each other.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:02 (Ref:2765189)   #127
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
isnt it also true that for two races in a row, Hamilton has been involved in stupid accidents that he could have avoided and he has been a DNF as a result.

I wonder who his feeling the pressure the most
Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:06 (Ref:2765191)   #128
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
isnt it also true that for two races in a row, Hamilton has been involved in stupid accidents that he could have avoided and he has been a DNF as a result.

I call it bad luck. Lewis always goes for the gap, often it comes off, occasionally it doesn't. Monza in particular he was very unfortunate to get a DNF, I don't often see contact like that terminally breaking the car.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:24 (Ref:2765194)   #129
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex View Post
I've been here a long time now. I guess I'm getting sick and tired of people complaining of no overtaking on one hand, then ****ing and moaning when the stewards don't give a penalty when cars get too close to each other.
I'll second that if I may.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:35 (Ref:2765195)   #130
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

He did admit he screwed up at Monza.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:36 (Ref:2765196)   #131
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Let it go ... we all know he cant race, cant pass and runs into everybody ...

DRIVER STANDINGS
01 Mark Webber 202
02 Fernando Alonso 191
03 Lewis Hamilton 182
04 Sebastian Vettel 181
05 Jenson Button 177
06 Felipe Massa 128
07 Nico Rosberg 122
08 Robert Kubica 114
09 Adrian Sutil 47
10 Michael Schumacher 46
Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:43 (Ref:2765197)   #132
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He did admit he screwed up at Monza.
which is good off him, and then race he admitted he had no idea where webber was, which as good as saying i stuffed up,

Pressure is on.

Awesome isnt it, thats what makes the end of the season great
Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2765198)   #133
jason7253
Rookie

Australia
Tasmania
jason7253 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don,t forget that big one when he took out Johnny Blake when he took him out in the Upper Yarrawonga under 7 kart classic in the 80,s either.lol

Last edited by jason7253; 27 Sep 2010 at 01:46. Reason: was off topic
Old 27 Sep 2010, 01:48 (Ref:2765200)   #134
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
which is good off him, and then race he admitted he had no idea where webber was, which as good as saying i stuffed up,

Pressure is on.

Awesome isnt it, thats what makes the end of the season great
He said, when he BBC finally caught up with him, there was a blind spot.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 02:35 (Ref:2765208)   #135
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Danny Sullivan was the guest steward today.
Rubbin' is racin'.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 03:04 (Ref:2765211)   #136
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Interestingly I think you will find that Tim Schenken was Clerk of Course.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 04:20 (Ref:2765217)   #137
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I got from the incident was that Webber gave Hamilton loads of room as Hamilton was coming from behind, and then alongside him, whereas Hamilton did not give Webber room at the corner.

For those saying that Hamilton was ahead, we can equally say that Webber was ahead as he went to pass the backmarker, and had every right to block Hamilton from coming through or put way off line.

But using his brain, Webber thought about championship points, not wanting to be penalised, and gave Hamilton plenty of space to get alongside. He also assumed Hamilton was there and gave hime the space to challenge.

He maintained his on line and didn't deviate, and also didn't concede the pass because Hamilton hadn't actually completed it yet. Webber had a legitimate claim to the inside of the corner, and I was worried he would understeer but he kept it as tight as possible.

Hamilton took the advantage of the space given to him by Webber before the corner, but once they arrived he pinched of the apex. He did not assume that Webber may still be there. He did not think about the championship. He did not give a car width of space for Webber to get around there slowly, but safely, where Hamilton would most likely have had a better position afterward.

Like so many young drivers at the moment, like Vettel, once they are half in front, they like to shut the door on the other guy. When we see Vettels mastery of the art of running over someone's front wing.

Kubica later showed how to go around the outside and make a clean pass, even though there was minor contact due to the understeer of the guy behind. Even though Kubica might have had a performance advantage over his opponent, in contrast to Hamilton, the fact is that it is more of a danger overtaking guys that have poor cars because you never know how much they can drive side by side with you.

Whereas, with topline cars, and experienced and respectful drivers like Webber, (Coulthard, Barrichello etc,) you know you can have a fair old tussle and he can control the car.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 04:40 (Ref:2765221)   #138
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry your right, AJ is in Korea. MW will be right to run into both McLarens then.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 05:00 (Ref:2765233)   #139
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Lewis, Mark, Whitmarsh and the stewards have all had a say, and ALL decided it was a racing incident. Lewis was slightly ahead, but on the outside of the corner with a championship rival up the inside. Webber was in his blind spot and he couldn't see him. He did know he was there though, otherwise he would have hugged the Apex and not left that gap there.

Webber was committed to the corner, and could do nothing to pull up any quicker and pull out before Lewis turned in.

Both drivers contributed to the crash, neither was 100% to blame. It was the very definition of a racing incident.

I've been here along time now. I guess I'm getting sick and tired of people complaining of no overtaking on one hand, then ****ing and moaning when the stewards don't give a penalty when cars get too close to each other.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 05:36 (Ref:2765240)   #140
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Sebastian Vettel is a disgrace for not cannonballing into the side of Alonso to benefit Webber.
Further proof that there are no team orders at Red Bull
Old 27 Sep 2010, 05:56 (Ref:2765245)   #141
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

The actual poblem is that the rear car' saerodynamics do not work and basically the only way to pass someone is to bounce off him in a banzai move. If the cars were able to race in close company then we may actually see genuine overtaking rather than an out of control slide down the inside of the leader that results in one or the other or both out of the race. Most unrewarding!
Old 27 Sep 2010, 06:19 (Ref:2765253)   #142
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
I would also like to bring to your attention a passing move that Webber attempted on Fisichella in a Williams at the last corner in Sepang one year. Webber drove around the outside of the corner, Fisichella lost it and crashed into Mark, and Mark got panned for not being smart enough to know that Fisichella was on old tyres and for putting his car in danger and thereby "causing" an accident.
He was wrong there because as you say Fissi was obviously struggling on old tyres.

Quote:
In Singapore he defended his line fairly - he never squeezed the overtaking driver, he picked his line and stuck to it, and actually tried to get out of the way - Hamilton turned in assuming that he would not be there (which he has admitted), and somehow Webber is to blame...!?!?
Neither driver was to blame here, pure racing incident. Can't compare it to Lewis at Monza because there Lewis was trying to put it up the inside of Massa. Here it was the other way around. Mark was correct to hold his line and drive the corner, had he braked he'd have t boned the Macaroon. Instead it was hard contact that caused the damage while ther were both turning in.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 06:36 (Ref:2765256)   #143
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Oh look, an Australian. Biased much?

Quote:
We won't HAVE overtaking if the driver being overtaken is allowed to punt off the overtaker without penalty. We have had four drivers' championships decided thanks to a deliberate - or at least reckless - taking-out. Funny, one of those was from an Australian as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Webber, for starters, at China restart ... no penalty (as usual) for Golden Boy. Tried to get Massa at Monza and stuffed himself ...
So, that's a grand total of zero. Although you blame Hamilton for Monza, which I do, which Webber said was the same as Singapore. So evidently you blame Webber for Singapore as well.

Quote:
Please list them...

This year I can think of:
- Melbourne: lost front downforce by getting too close to Lewis and understeered into him. Took full responsibility.
- Turkey: Team mate drove into him.
- Singapore: Racing incident while fairly defending his position.

This talk about Webber being incident prone and crashing into everyone is complete and utter garbage...
Two severe Schumichops against Barrichello at Nurburgring and Abu Dhabi last year. One of which he got penalized for. Penalized for brake-testing Heidfeld at Spa last year. Schumichop on Raikkonen at Interlagos, destroying Raikkonen's front wing. Punted Kubica off at Monza last year. Punting Hamilton at Melbourne this year.

Now add up all those from other drivers in the championship hunt.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 06:53 (Ref:2765259)   #144
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I believe it was a racing incident, although I do believe as is usual for Mark he does not understand the word give way even when beaten to a corner fair and square as he was.

As has been said Webber has a huge history of contacting / running people off the track when they are passing him.... yet he rarely gets pinged for it, such as at Interlagos v Raikkonen, when he admitted Kimi was faster and going to pass him so I had to do something (anything?) to stop him.

Webber was as seems to be usual, spared his result in the Singapore incident by nothing other than luck, as the Bridgestone engineers said after the race on inspection of the tyre, which had been pushed almost off the rim in the incident before settling back into place.

Yet when Mark is faster behind another car (Valencia), he expects them all to melt away. Of course in Valencia it was clearly Marks error and misjudgement in expectin someone racing for position to get out of his way without any defending. Mark, even when he was in a middle team and in a lowly position was never one to make it easy for anyone such as a race leader overtaking him after say a fuel stop.

My summary.... a racing incident in which (once more) Webber was extrememely lucky to have got away without damage or loss of position, indeed again he made up a position.

Webber was very lucky overall to come out of it unscathed. Even more lucky that it has indeed enhanced his WDC position.... more by luck than ability or judgement..
Old 27 Sep 2010, 07:39 (Ref:2765281)   #145
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Webber was as seems to be usual, spared his result in the Singapore incident by nothing other than luck,
Champions luck
Old 27 Sep 2010, 08:31 (Ref:2765305)   #146
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Oh look, an Australian. Biased much?

Can we please get this sort of cr*p off this forum.

There is plenty of bias going around without getting racist about it.

I noticed the Webber Vs. Sebastian thread disappeared as Webber started to push ahead in points to Seb.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2765314)   #147
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It didn't though.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2765325)   #148
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Personally I thought it was a racing incident. Not everything can be 'someone's fault'. Sometimes both were in the right and getting on with their thing, and something happens. One gets away with it, the other doesn't. Tough do-do, as the old saying goes....

Selby
Old 27 Sep 2010, 09:30 (Ref:2765342)   #149
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by browney View Post
Can we please get this sort of cr*p off this forum.

There is plenty of bias going around without getting racist about it.

I noticed the Webber Vs. Sebastian thread disappeared as Webber started to push ahead in points to Seb.
Be careful when posting in response to ensign14, or you could find your post quoted and changed, therefore altering and misrepresenting what you said.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2765351)   #150
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Okay, enough. I think we've all established which side of the fence certain posters in this thread are on, and we now have several pages of an argument going round in circles.

Thread closed.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Closed Thread