Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Oct 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3324164)   #1
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max Chilton @ India

Was I the only one who saw his boneheaded idiocy on the replays coming through turn 2? Geido van der Garde was clearly to the left of him, with his front end in between Chilton (to the right) and Charles Pic (to the left). Chilton decided it would be great to turn sharp left, cutting the front end of VDG's Caterham off and ending his race.

From what I saw, the stewards didn't even investigate this incident. That was the most obvious offence of the race. It was by far and away the worst move anyone has pulled this season in my view - the only one rivalling it is Chilton again showing the world his talents and causing the Monaco GP to be red flagged. VDG couldn't move to the left due to Pic's car, and as a result had his race ended by a useless pay driver who's money has taken a seat that could have far more impressive potential champions such as Kevin Magnussen or Robin Frijns' names on it.

He's an absolute disgrace to F1 in my view, and, despite his recent run of form, his lack of eyes at Monaco and here at India have seriously got the raise a question here? Marussia must be glad that Max's dad can afford to fix the cars, considering the FIA's position with them.

Max Chilton is another case of a pathetic pay driver and all he's doing is ruining the image of Formula 1. If Formula 1 really cared about having driving talents, then they should agree to these cost cutting measures and then we'll have more talents without money than spoon-fed rich kids who turn motorsports into a joke. The pinnacle of motorsports? Max Chilton? It makes me sick...

...have a nice day
Old 28 Oct 2013, 11:54 (Ref:3324188)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Iirc, Brundle and Crofty said he had nowhere to go as he had a car on the other side of him?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:02 (Ref:3324194)   #3
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Iirc, Brundle and Crofty said he had nowhere to go as he had a car on the other side of him?
If you're talking about VDG, that is true. VDG had his nose cut off so perfectly and in such a sudden move that it made me think Chilton did it on purpose. I doubt Marussia would use these sorts of tactis to retain their 10th in the constructor standings, so I reckon it was a simple case of Chilton being <censored to retain the posters dignity>

Last edited by bella; 28 Oct 2013 at 12:13. Reason: edited for childish swears
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3324203)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't know if chilton jnr stole your girlfriend or bullied you at primary school or something but you REALLY need to grow up, stop dodging the auto censor and return to expressing your opinion in a sensible fashion.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3324204)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you may need to review the footage, the replays showed that Chilton was on the inside of the three. He maintained his line off the apex, this pinched VDG. There was no sharp left turn.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3324205)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
To be perfectly honest, I don't think that Max is F1 standard, being outqualified by has team mate to the tune of 1.2 seconds isn't great for him. That said, with regards to yesterday, I don't see your point.

Most important part of your original post is this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
From what I saw,
From what you saw !

Now, given you obvious thoughts on him (edited) I think i'd go with Martin Brundles assessment, also, the fact that Charlie Whiting has multiple camera's at his disposal and didn't think it was worthy of a penalty, i'd take it as exactly that, a racing incident.

I certainly hope for young Chilton's case that your never a driver steward at any of his races

Last edited by garcon; 28 Oct 2013 at 13:30.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 13:26 (Ref:3324240)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Nothing more than 1st (actually 2nd) corner bunching "from what I saw".

Chilton may not be the next Alan Prost, but the abuse that the OP gives him is frankly ridiculous. He's brought the car home in front his teammate, despite this early skirmish.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 14:42 (Ref:3324271)   #8
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
I doubt he will be at Marussia next year anyway, it will be Bianchi and Magnusson in exchange for lots of free McLaren technical goodies. IMO

Question is will he and his 'investors' be able to secure another seat or maybe it will the old 3rd driver role.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 14:52 (Ref:3324275)   #9
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chilton, like Van Der Garde and Pic, has won GP2 races. Twenty years ago the "pathetic" pay-drivers hadn't even set foot on a podium to reach the summit let alone won races. Even in the mid 1990s that was true, remember some of the roll call of horror that used to frequent Simteks, Pacifics and Footworks back in those days. There's no comparison. Chilton might not be a potential champion and there are granted much more talented young drivers with less money who "should" be in those seats in an ideal world. It's not an ideal world though.

I don't think that crash was his finest moment, but it's hard to see here else he could have gone.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3324441)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
Even in the mid 1990s that was true, remember some of the roll call of horror that used to frequent Simteks, Pacifics and Footworks back in those days. There's no comparison.
I seem to recall some pretty good drivers in those cars back then too, some with way, way better pedigree than a Max Chilton - and I'm not referring to the likes of Jean-Denis or Taki! It was even worse back then because the backmarkers cars were so far off the pace their drivers hadn't a hope in hell of impressing. Nowadays at least they can get within 3 or 4 seconds of the front runners?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3324455)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I seem to recall some pretty good drivers in those cars back then too, some with way, way better pedigree than a Max Chilton - and I'm not referring to the likes of Jean-Denis or Taki!
That is undoubtedly the case (the likes of Christian Fittipaldi, Sandro Nannini and Roberto Moreno spring immediately to mind); however, it is fair to say that there were a number of drivers that could only dream of a CV akin to Chilton's.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3324457)   #12
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Those two always side with the British driver no matter what happens, they know who their audience is! In this case they were probably right, where did he have to go?

As far as the rant goes, I'll come down with Bella

"i don't know if chilton jnr stole your girlfriend or bullied you at primary school or something but you REALLY need to grow up, stop dodging the auto censor and return to expressing your opinion in a sensible fashion. "

We have seen much worse than Chilton, and he has had some good races.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 06:56 (Ref:3324590)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Those two always side with the British driver no matter what happens, they know who their audience is! In this case they were probably right, where did he have to go?
I don't agree. Yes, they broadcast to a British viewer, but also, the majority are enthusiasts who can see when MB and DC(roft) are calling it wrong.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 07:56 (Ref:3324606)   #14
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Wow. Interesting viewpoint OP....

Have you ever raced? (or even watched another race before?) There is a certain jeopardy in having your nose on the outside rear of another on the exit of a corner. Duh.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3324636)   #15
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chilton is probably the worst driver in F1 for at least a decade. His performance this year has been terrible. And its not just because he's in the worst car - he's way off the pace of his team mate.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3324651)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
except he isn't "way" off the pace of his teammate, that's the worrying/surprising/interesting thing about it. he's actually pretty close. he's not matching or beating bianchi, but he's pretty close. far closer than some on this thread are implying anyway.

"way" off is depending on the circuit, 7 tenths to a second a lap in qualifying, imo.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 10:48 (Ref:3324656)   #17
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He beat him in India...
Old 29 Oct 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3324663)   #18
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I dunno what people have against the Chiltons really. Yeah they're a bit Made in Chelsea with their fake tan and sonic the hedgehog hair, yes Tom appeared on Take Me Out instantly ruining his credibility in the eyes of some, yes daddy has lots of money and has managed to get his boys into drives their talent alone probably hasn't warranted, but there are far worse CV's out there. Max has won GP2 races and finished fourth in the championship, ahead of James Calado who everyone sees as the 'real talent'. Tom has won BTCC and WTCC races. Good on them both.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 11:12 (Ref:3324666)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yep, well said.

you can resent their privilege and lifestyle all you want, but in the end they're talented guys and they're doing a good job with what they have. they've been lucky enough to have every single possible opportunity, and perhaps they do represent some very unfortunate things about modern day society, but taking all that away they're a pair of guys who are having pretty successful racing careers.

it does indeed make you wonder what other drivers would be capable of if they were in the same situation, but hey. that's life isn't it.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3324680)   #20
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
Chilton is probably the worst driver in F1 for at least a decade. His performance this year has been terrible. And its not just because he's in the worst car - he's way off the pace of his team mate.
Really? The worst in at least a decade? Really?
Wow, some people really do have dodgy memories...

And what is your definition for 'terrible'? sure he hasn't been fast, but he's been close to his teammate more often than not, and has beaten him as recently as the last race. Plus, Chilton is the only driver to finish every race this season.
Hardly terrible.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 15:11 (Ref:3324772)   #21
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Max Chilton is another case of a pathetic pay driver and all he's doing is ruining the image of Formula 1. If Formula 1 really cared about having driving talents, then they should agree to these cost cutting measures and then we'll have more talents without money than spoon-fed rich kids who turn motorsports into a joke. The pinnacle of motorsports? Max Chilton? It makes me sick...
I don't think he's ruining the image of F1 because most people don't pay any attention to these backmarkers - above a vague awareness of that obscure backmarker at the back is a Brit.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 15:24 (Ref:3324775)   #22
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
I dunno what people have against the Chiltons really. Yeah they're a bit Made in Chelsea with their fake tan and sonic the hedgehog hair, yes Tom appeared on Take Me Out instantly ruining his credibility in the eyes of some, yes daddy has lots of money and has managed to get his boys into drives their talent alone probably hasn't warranted, but there are far worse CV's out there. Max has won GP2 races and finished fourth in the championship, ahead of James Calado who everyone sees as the 'real talent'. Tom has won BTCC and WTCC races. Good on them both.
I think people have stopped thinking that James Calado is the real talent.
Old 29 Oct 2013, 15:32 (Ref:3324777)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
you mean, you have! force india still seem relatively convinced, and they could have their pick...

the dangers of judging people by their gp2 performances, eh?
Old 29 Oct 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3324792)   #24
m355y
Racer

He's still Force India reserve and seems highly rated in the paddock.

Best young Brit coming through GP2 or 3.5 by a country mile is Sam Bird IMO.

But then he's not that 'young'. Which might well put teams off. They want the hotshoes (with money)
Old 29 Oct 2013, 16:45 (Ref:3324793)   #25
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl View Post
Chilton is probably the worst driver in F1 for at least a decade.
*ahem* Yuji Ide?