Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 10 Feb 2000, 18:54 (Ref:2972)   #1
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am talking about the raigning T-Car champ Tom Boardman, 16 years old and just signed a deal with the National Saloon car team Speedworx.
Come on, shouldn't a 16 year old be concentrating on school work or something?
Fair enough, there may be a touch of envi from me, but at 16 I was busy with GCSE's, what happens if he fails at his driving later on, he'll want his qualifications then won't he?
Old 10 Feb 2000, 23:56 (Ref:2973)   #2
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good point there, bloke. I think it's better for young 'uns to combine racing and schooling in a race school - doesn't the French (damn I've forgotten the name) school give the racers proper schooling alongside race tuition?

But then, motorsport is ever more competitive and ever suited to younger drivers so it would be unwise for him to put off a career until he's older only to find someone else has nicked the seat.
Old 11 Feb 2000, 02:32 (Ref:2974)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I believe it is the French ELF school...but then again I may be wrong

good luck to him I say but I do agree that he should consider the possibility of doing some schooling to compensate for his career in racing not working out.
Old 11 Feb 2000, 08:05 (Ref:2975)   #4
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
16 year old in a National Saloon car!!! Hold him back and get ready to pick him out've the hedge on a regular occasion!! From what I've seen of T-cars (CC event), I wasn't overly impressed by the standard of driving.

I shall be at Thruxton on the 25 March, I'll let you know how long he lasts!!
Old 11 Feb 2000, 10:49 (Ref:2976)   #5
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Dan, are you a Castle Combe nut too?
You are right about the driving standards, but remeber, first event of their car careers, loads of nerves and a lot of rain!
Old 11 Feb 2000, 11:04 (Ref:2977)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee,

I marshal all the meetings at Combe, as well as other various meetings round the country.

You're right about the T-cars, perhaps I was a little unfair..... but the thought of a 16 year old in a National Saloon car scares me a little. I expect Thruxton (espcially Church corner - 140mph...) may scare Master Boardman somewhat too..
Old 11 Feb 2000, 14:23 (Ref:2978)   #7
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
What corner do you normally work on?
have you been doing it long and do you know a lady called Kim who used to marshall there?
Bit vauge, can't remember her surname.
Old 11 Feb 2000, 14:29 (Ref:2979)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
We do all the corners throughout the year (everyone rotates each meeting), and I work with the same people each meeting.

So we get to do Quarry a few times in the year (there's two separate posts), but I have to say that Camp is now the most exciting - after the demise of Old Paddock...

Never worked with a Kim (because most of the people with me are the same each meeting).
Old 11 Feb 2000, 14:36 (Ref:2980)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Oh, and started in 1994... doesn't seem that long ago.

First meeting was Post 15 at Thruxton (Church) and Damon Hill doing a demonstration run in his Williams, there was no turning back after seeing that!!! He averaged over 130 mph for the lap.
Old 11 Feb 2000, 14:37 (Ref:2981)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Were you one of the guys who push started me after my piruette in the rain last October? (Group 1 Touring Cars, Capri No 36). I reckon I got at least 5.9 from all the judges on that one
Old 11 Feb 2000, 14:46 (Ref:2982)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
I was getting very soggy at the second chicane (Bobbies), and there were lots of artful spins all day - too many to remember, but i guess you can remember where exactly your 'loose' moment was.

Shame to miss the Classics this year, no Combe and I'm in sodding Spain (with girlfriend) when you go to Thruxton. Next time, I book the holidays.
Old 11 Feb 2000, 21:11 (Ref:2983)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmmmm,

Second chicane. I kept locking my brakes because every lap it surprised me that as I was accellerating from a corner I suddenly needed to stop.

Funny circuit. No flow.

Glad you enjoyed our efforts even if we did leave some debris.

Thanks to all your mates for the help.
Old 12 Feb 2000, 07:58 (Ref:2984)   #13
floid40
Rookie

floid40 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
STOP ! Does any inteligent race fan believe that this kid would get a sponser if he couldnt drive? Give him a chance (I'll bet when you were 16 you thought you were pretty mature). Besides arent those "SALOON" cars awfully slow anyway ? Just kidding (Im an American) just watch him and we'll all see what happens.
Old 12 Feb 2000, 10:00 (Ref:2985)   #14
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you'll find it's his dad sponsoring him...

But I fail to see why he cannot make the switch. People said that the T-Cars series would be a shambles as none of the drivers were old enough (and some of them were obviously not!) but this guy really stood out - I think he's got what it takes. In any case, he's been racing in other formulae for years (not just karting)

Good luck to him I say.

As for schooling ? Well, just how much effort did most of us put in to school ?! I'm sure that he'll manage just fine. In any case, if he's 16 then he's almost finished with school.
Old 12 Feb 2000, 10:14 (Ref:2986)   #15
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
The "saloon" cars are far from slow!
I think it is hid dad sponsoring him, he did in the T-cars.
His preivious race experience was in grass track racing, but hey, if it all goes wrong, his dad probally has enough money to bail him out