Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 May 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1297120)   #1
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ambrose in strife......

from www.foxsports.com.au

Ambrose in strife.....

By Ray Kershler
May 10, 2005

THE V8 Supercar champion Marcos Ambrose is widely expected to be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute following comments made after the controversial Perth round of the championship.

Ambrose, who won back-to-back titles for Ford in 2003 and 2004, was black-flagged and penalised 25 championship points after a second race incident involving the former champion and Holden rival, Mark Skaife.

Ambrose accepted the initial race penalty but in later press and TV comments suggested he had been hung twice for the same crime and that the Perth penalty was a "square-up" for a similar incident in the previous New Zealand round in which he escaped a penalty.

"I'm so angry. I copped a stop-go which I thought was pretty harsh. But I accept that. It's racing and we move on," Ambrose said.

"Then they dropped me 25 points. They must have thought I had done too well in the race. A pit lane drive through was not enough so they docked me 25 points.

"From what I understand they were still mad about the Pukekohe incident and this was a chance for a square-up."

Senior V8 officials are said to have been incensed by the remarks and have asked the sport's prosecuting officer Peter Wollerman to investigate.

Wollerman, who was appointed this year to streamline the sport's judicial process, has made a name for himself in just three rounds of the championship.

Ford were fined a massive $30,000 for a podium infringement in the first round and the young driver Paul Dumbrell copped the biggest driver fine in the sport's history when he was slammed $15,000 after unsuccessfully trying to defend a reckless driving charge following the second round at Pukekohe.

Despite the black flag and consequent stop-go penalty, Ambrose managed to drag himself back to fifth in the race and still finished the weekend in third place overall.

As he aims for a third straight championship title, Ambrose holds a slim 11-point lead going into the next round at Sydney's Eastern Creek circuit.

The Daily Telegraph

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 10 May 2005, 00:46 (Ref:1297130)   #2
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would all the sources be from the red team
Old 10 May 2005, 00:48 (Ref:1297131)   #3
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just read that...........Im LOVING it to be honest.

Thinks he's changed persona's with Rusty.

Maybe Ambrose should be called the "Enforcer" after the last few rounds
and they can call Rusty the "Accumulator"

I said it in a previous thread and I will say it again, I thought the comment was a very cheap shot............But in saying that, the same old story, throw a Mic in his face after he jumps straight out of the car being all pumped up and ya going to get comments like that....

Eitherway Im loving it.
Old 10 May 2005, 01:03 (Ref:1297136)   #4
hml2777
Racer

Cuba
Guantanamo Bay
hml2777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahh, the tall poppy syndrome is a wonderful concept
Old 10 May 2005, 01:48 (Ref:1297147)   #5
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml2777
Ahh, the tall poppy syndrome is a wonderful concept
Yep, it used yo be Skaife and now it's Marcos.
Old 10 May 2005, 01:49 (Ref:1297148)   #6
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He'll be right at home in a NASCAR it seems

DKGandBH
Old 10 May 2005, 02:14 (Ref:1297159)   #7
Dazz
Veteran

Dazz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's a front running driver with a big ego, who is passionate about winning, and will not settle for second place.

His comments were were harsh, and I can appreciate there might be a backlash against him, but I totally 100% disagree with him getting fined for bringing the sport into disrepute.

His comments were real, filled with emotion and it was how he felt at the time, and if we want to be able to see drivers be emotional then we cannot fine them for it.

Sure people might get offended sometimes, but build a bridge and get over it.

Were they stupid things to say, probably, were they honest things said in the heat of the moment, definitely.

As long as the drivers are not going into pure out and out slander, I don't see the problem.
Old 10 May 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1297164)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey, full marks to Rusty for hanging out the door on the parade lap. Top stuff! Surprised they didn't give him a life ban though...
Old 10 May 2005, 02:33 (Ref:1297166)   #9
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test
Hey, full marks to Rusty for hanging out the door on the parade lap. Top stuff! Surprised they didn't give him a life ban though...
Wait for it
I'm sure I read in one of last weeks mags that AVESCO,TEGA, whatever, have told the drivers to be a bit more outspoken than in the past? Did anyone else read this?
Old 10 May 2005, 03:39 (Ref:1297182)   #10
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazz
He's a front running driver with a big ego, who is passionate about winning, and will not settle for second place.

His comments were were harsh, and I can appreciate there might be a backlash against him, but I totally 100% disagree with him getting fined for bringing the sport into disrepute.

His comments were real, filled with emotion and it was how he felt at the time, and if we want to be able to see drivers be emotional then we cannot fine them for it.

Sure people might get offended sometimes, but build a bridge and get over it.

Were they stupid things to say, probably, were they honest things said in the heat of the moment, definitely.

As long as the drivers are not going into pure out and out slander, I don't see the problem.

Without detracting from this accurate post, let me add that the above could be attribtuted to the following drivers (& crew) over the years.

Skaife, (during his 'arrogant' winning period) & (his go upstairs to Race Control & cry to Tim period)
Ingall, (during his 'enforcer' period )
Kim Jones, (during his #*@* angry period)
Wayne Gardiner (during his entire V8 career)
Tony Longhurst (during his 2 lt BMW period)
Jeff Gretch (during his sooky period, sorry all the time)
& not to forget Garry Rogers. (during his monthly period.....)
Old 10 May 2005, 03:40 (Ref:1297183)   #11
dynamik gal
Racer

Netherlands
F1 Melbourne, Australia
dynamik gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A comment on how the race went is not bringing the sport into disrepute. He did not make a direct comment or vilification against the officials.

The media story fails to mention that at the end of the conversation regarding the matter Ambrose said that it has happened, we've accepted IT ALL and now we are just going to move on. He left it diligently at that and asked that no more questions be asked, that the media can debate it at their own accord.

Its amazing how leaving out little bits of people's statements can all of a sudden make them look like a baddie.

I think they've collected enough funds from teams and drivers for the moment. I personally believe that the 25 point docking was a tad too harsh. Majority of the driving infringements of what we saw on Sunday are penalised with drive through penalities or stop/go, we've even seen 5 min pit lane penalties.

I cannot recount the number of times where we've seen this incident occur on the first, fourtieth or sixtieth lap of a race, and it's a drive thru penalty that applies. Had there been more carnage, more damage or a more serious infringment, yes, apply a fine of points or $.

And before any of you say that Ford v Holden support will gather to say that he is guilty/not guilty, i am a life long holden supporter but I believe that he was given a hard dealing.
Old 10 May 2005, 03:44 (Ref:1297185)   #12
dynamik gal
Racer

Netherlands
F1 Melbourne, Australia
dynamik gal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
Wait for it
I'm sure I read in one of last weeks mags that AVESCO,TEGA, whatever, have told the drivers to be a bit more outspoken than in the past? Did anyone else read this?
PAGE 11 CURRENT ISSUE OF MOTORSPORT NEWS "Speak Freely!"

"... drivers were encouraged to express themselves more when being interviewed in the press or on TV.

...some [drivers/PR Staff] replied that self expression had a recent history of leading to charges of bringing the sport into disrepute, they were apparently reassured by AVESCO that things would be more lenient in that regard from now on"

WELL, lets see what AVESCO has to say about it now.
Old 10 May 2005, 04:01 (Ref:1297190)   #13
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamik gal
PAGE 11 CURRENT ISSUE OF MOTORSPORT NEWS "Speak Freely!"

"... drivers were encouraged to express themselves more when being interviewed in the press or on TV.

...some [drivers/PR Staff] replied that self expression had a recent history of leading to charges of bringing the sport into disrepute, they were apparently reassured by AVESCO that things would be more lenient in that regard from now on"

WELL, lets see what AVESCO has to say about it now.
Thanks, I knew I read it somewhere
Old 10 May 2005, 04:24 (Ref:1297203)   #14
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cranker
Without detracting from this accurate post, let me add that the above could be attribtuted to the following drivers (& crew) over the years.

Skaife, (during his 'arrogant' winning period) & (his go upstairs to Race Control & cry to Tim period)
Ingall, (during his 'enforcer' period )
Kim Jones, (during his #*@* angry period)
Wayne Gardiner (during his entire V8 career)
Tony Longhurst (during his 2 lt BMW period)
Jeff Gretch (during his sooky period, sorry all the time)
& not to forget Garry Rogers. (during his monthly period.....)
LMFAO at Uncle
Old 10 May 2005, 04:56 (Ref:1297213)   #15
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Why not let them say what the *&% they want?

To me 'bringing the sport into disrepute' does not cover 'expressing an opinion'. Save that charge for NRL Bulldogs-type accusations.
*hides behind chair*

Most sports these days are depersonalised with atheletes instructed by experts in how to talk to the media. You get the worst kind of blandness out of the mouths of rugby captains. It's bo*($&%ks and not what they really think and an insult to our intelligence to be expected to listen to it.

That's what upholding a stupid charge like this will lead to.

Old 10 May 2005, 04:59 (Ref:1297214)   #16
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think AVESCO want to remind Marcos of who is in charge.....
Old 10 May 2005, 05:20 (Ref:1297219)   #17
fordfan
Rookie

fordfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Avesco & officials should be charged for bringing this show buisness into disrepute. Ambrose should be thanked for keeping the sport in motor sport. This is a rough & tumble sport where you fight for every point. No person wants a demo derby nor follow the leader. Ambrose played smart in race 3 when Weel squeazed him in exactly the same way the Skaife incident happened, a lap later he was past. This series is more about Avesco making money than crowning a champion for winning the series. Drop your worst round keep penalising the series leader, keep the series close for the end of year ultimate showdown.
Old 10 May 2005, 06:05 (Ref:1297244)   #18
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Drop your worst round keep penalising the series leader, keep the series close for the end of year ultimate showdown.

Which AVE$$CO by sheer chance, promote themselves........
Old 10 May 2005, 06:48 (Ref:1297257)   #19
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test

Hey Crash, I totally thought that myself...Years gone by you would not be allowed to drive on the track without a helmet on, so im sure the Honcho's may or maynot have been happy with rusty hanging out the car.

I thought it was great footage anyway.
Old 10 May 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1297353)   #20
TCR-028
Racer

TCR-028 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first thought when Rusty drove around hanging out the door was "Sh!t, he's going to get in trouble for that !!"

As for Marcos, i'm starting to lose the considerable admiration i had for the guy in the last few months - But hey, he's human, let the bloke speak. FWIW i agree with him on this one, why sting him twice ??
Old 10 May 2005, 10:35 (Ref:1297387)   #21
phoneAho
Rookie

phoneAho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American = Arrogant

Ambrose = Arrogant
Old 10 May 2005, 10:37 (Ref:1297391)   #22
Placebo
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Placebo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw Marcos make a comment during the telecast along the lines of - the way this championship is going is it any wonder I'm looking to go elsewhere next year - or words to that effect.
Not a surprising comment when you've just got out the car - but not the sort of thing AVESCO/TEGA would want to hear I wouldn't think.
As for encouraging drivers to be more outspoken - I suspect that was providing it didn't mean criticism of THEM!
Old 10 May 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1297397)   #23
mjt57
Racer

mjt57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
"From what I understand they were still mad about the Pukekohe incident and this was a chance for a square-up."
What happened there? I didn't get to see the event, other than some highlights.

Quote:
Ford were fined a massive $30,000 for a podium infringement in the first round;
And here? It's another that I missed.

What I'm surprised at is that his comments about being glad he's leaving the series at the end of the year, wasn't picked up and acted upon.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I'm barracking for Ambrose on this one. Motorsport has gotten too officious over the years. Particularly with their black and white interpretation of the rules (albeit an inconsistantly black and white interpretation), and the penchant for heavily fining teams and drivers for what are seemingly trivial "offenses", and even then they are questionable.

What's worse, though, is when after a penalty is levied against a driver or his team, it's found to be baseless. But by then, the race is won or round completed, and the driver has been unfairly penalised. How often does that happen, in any class of motorsport.

That to me, is bringing it into disrepute. Unprofessionalism at any level of so called professional sports or activities is unacceptable.
Old 10 May 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1297438)   #24
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think he should be penalised for the comments he made, he was just saying things as he saw them after jumping out of a hot car. However the actual incident was unsporting and to me, is a public display of pressure at the top. I think there is public perception that he can do no wrong and this shows that he can, and being consistently up the front isn't easy.
Old 10 May 2005, 11:41 (Ref:1297443)   #25
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seriously, someone has to start looking at the keepers of this series, this whole bringing sport into disrepute thing is getting beyond a joke.

What Ambrose said is essentially the truth, and running a sport in such a way is quite amateur. The teams (who in reality own the sport) should demand professionalism, the likes of Perkins, Rodgers and Kim Jones were once outspoken but appear to have given up for fear of getting pinged, Gore is now in the box seat to do something as he sponsors his own team and has the ********, its been coming for a long time...