Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Mar 2007, 01:27 (Ref:1861957)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"New style" marshalling?/Midweek racing (merged)

See this thread and associated link. Evening races were hinted at a few years ago without result, but it seems there's an intention to go ahead, along with a "trial ... to potentially assess new ideas in trackside recovery/marshalling,"

Anyone know what that means? What views do we have? My thought is 'thin end of the wedge', but as always, I'm prepared to be proved wrong by anyone wiser/more knowledgeable.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 07:53 (Ref:1862088)   #2
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it works (from a getting the new punters through the gates and watching decent racing point-of-view) then I think it's possibly a good thing, 20-20 Cricket has worked well to this type of format (aimed at corporate/after-work/family groups, shorter blast of action than normal, etc). Roger Etcell & his team worked well on the Powertour package to publicise and promote it as I recall and they were well attended events (compared to current F3/GT meetings), so hopefully he can do something similar with this.

From a marshalling point of view, we've run Silverstone events (such as the EERC meetings) with the IOs calling whats happening and responding with the Land Rovers, backed up by a reduced number of flags/obs at key locations plus the circuit lights and that's worked ok, and I can't see these two Silverstone events being any different. However, I don't know how it'll work at Donington which doesn't have the response vehicle at every corner option like Silverstone unless something new comes along between now and August.

But, this type of incident response has to be tried somewhere given the current marshalling situation, so I can understand it to a large extent. All part of developing the new breed of multi-tasking marshals.

I can't make the first of the Silverstone dates given in MN but will be at the other two events to see what happens

Al.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 07:54 (Ref:1862090)   #3
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a nice thought that the BRDC can afford to hire their own circuit mid week but not at week ends. It all seems to expensive to me for what ammounts to 2-3 hours sport. i do not think it will happen.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 08:17 (Ref:1862103)   #4
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Green

But, this type of incident response has to be tried somewhere given the current marshalling situation, so I can understand it to a large extent. All part of developing the new breed of multi-tasking marshals.
Al.
Can think of a other circuit in the UK with this sort of vehicle based incident team.....

And I think Al's about spot on with his other views too.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 09:49 (Ref:1862171)   #5
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Motion works document
Roger Etcell, Managing Director of Series Promoter Motion Works. “We
have agreements in place with the Silverstone, Donington Park, MSA and the BRSCC to
stage the three evening events in 2007
If it (the evening racing) works, it's good for the sport in general.
Marshalling with minimal numbers and fast reponse teams - can work, but only with well trained and experienced people. Semi pro workforce?

Anybody had an availability form yet?
Old 9 Mar 2007, 11:48 (Ref:1862241)   #6
allanh
Racer

allanh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the key to it will be not how many marshals there are, but how many competitors turn up. It seems hard enough at the weekends to get a decent grid size. No one will pay to see half a dozen cars race in mid week. Will it be part of a championship or just an exhibition?. Well done for trying and i wish it well, lets see what happens.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1862260)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs
It's a nice thought that the BRDC can afford to hire their own circuit mid week but not at week ends. It all seems to expensive to me for what ammounts to 2-3 hours sport. i do not think it will happen.
I don't understand the reference to the BRDC, I can't see that they are involved in this are they?
Old 9 Mar 2007, 12:21 (Ref:1862273)   #8
snatchman
Rookie

snatchman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Midweek racing

Has anyone seen the recent article in motorsport news regarding midweek racing at Donington and Silverstone in august.Does anyone know whether these events will require marshals or whether midweek staff will be manning these events?If anyone has any information as to what is racing this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 12:47 (Ref:1862294)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
See this thread in National/Club forum.

I think the answer to your question is both. Midweek staff for the afternoon test session and normal volunteers for the evening's racing.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1862347)   #10
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
See also:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94525
Old 9 Mar 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1862348)   #11
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
My earlier reply was my first thoughts, and given that this is the marshal's forum, from a marshal's point of view.

Thinking about it though, does'nt the whole concept rest on the meeting being run by people who can afford to take time off work. Or not be in regular work?

Scrutes/race control/paramedics/docs/breakdown - basically the whole panoply of volunteers (reimbursed in some cases, but volunteers nonetheless)

The other thing I read was that the target audience was local - but I know even circuit specific officials that will drive for many hours to get to a meeting.

It must be assumed that the BRSCC as the club apparently contracted by Roger Etcell to run these meetings will have plan. I just hope that it has'nt involved some kind of financial risk to the club I was once strongly loyal to. Somebody in the BRSCC made some strange financial decisions in years past. They maybe need to be bold to have a future maybe, but....

Lets wait and see then what the plan will be when it's revealed on the new web site then, eh?

I think (believe/know) they were the major club for training race officials through most of the 80's & 90's, maybe not now, but those same well trained officials are probably nearing the end of their (Mon-Fri) working life. So, might it be a kind of Dad's army of officials that will run these events.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

{that might be joke lads & lasses, might not be}
Old 9 Mar 2007, 15:20 (Ref:1862396)   #12
stroller
Racer

stroller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanh
I think the key to it will be not how many marshals there are, but how many competitors turn up. It seems hard enough at the weekends to get a decent grid size. No one will pay to see half a dozen cars race in mid week. Will it be part of a championship or just an exhibition?. Well done for trying and i wish it well, lets see what happens.
I believe the plan may be to tag the races onto the end of a track day which is included in the total price to competitors.

No champinships involved. (hence no hassle over champinship regs etc ) Very much a mix and match of what classes of racers are interested.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1862505)   #13
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As soon as the dates are out, I'll be volunteering.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 19:03 (Ref:1862542)   #14
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The BRDC was from what is usually a reliable source.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1862625)   #15
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Slap, bang in the middle of the holiday season. Not much option I suppose.
Old 9 Mar 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1862653)   #16
mick dickens
Racer

England
bollington
mick dickens should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
As soon as the dates are out, I'll be volunteering.
do not have MN anymore so do not know all about the mid week racing.but as i work sarurday and sunday and have wed and thur of sounds like a good idea to me. means i could get down to silverstone a bit more than i do at present. always a good bunch and plenty of team spirit. had some dam good weekends even when the racing was poor a good time on the campsite. why not go full hog and open the silverstone racing club up again always a good night in thier
Old 12 Mar 2007, 15:47 (Ref:1864740)   #17
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
the power of tenths!

Maybe Haymarket Publishing won't/can't acknowledge our existance & assistance, (like they have vested interest in their own commercial venture) but it seems Roger Etcell can - by joining and posting.

notice to lurkers, see, this deadly internet can be your friend

His post here about power evenings

the marshal specific bit
From 9am to 3pm testing will be run under general circuit testing conditions the MSA permit will start from around 3pm. Marshals will be provided with benefits, we apprecaite this is a difficlut area and will work to secure correct levels.

sign on about 1-2pm then?
nice long lie, bit like Lydden
Old 12 Mar 2007, 16:46 (Ref:1864788)   #18
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who's Roger Ectell?
Is he BRSCC?

Actually I'm warming to the idea of this evening racing!
Old 12 Mar 2007, 18:00 (Ref:1864868)   #19
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Roger Etcell is the man from Motionworks, which is the motorsport marketing company responsible for putting these events together. He was previously behind the successful PowerTour initiative.
Old 12 Mar 2007, 18:12 (Ref:1864881)   #20
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks Ian