Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Aug 2003, 10:18 (Ref:699173)   #1
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It might not be as exciting as you expect...

This quote from Alonso contains some wise comments, especially in relation to how cautious JPM and Kimi will need to be from here on in:

"It depends on the tyres, they will be the key of the championship," Alonso said. "The Michelins have been more competitive in the last three or four races. Probably Kimi and Juan Pablo had a little more options to win the championship. And between the two of them, the more consistent driver (will win). There are three races and if they have one retirement or something then they lose the championship so they have to be very consistent."
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:25 (Ref:699256)   #2
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i love consistent racing...i'm glad the new rules and points system encourages this.

Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:44 (Ref:699271)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love conversations in which we are mentioning other drivers' chances to win the championship.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:51 (Ref:699280)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think Ralf would disagree with that. Ralf might even be tempted to repeat his stunning Hungary performance in an effort to finish the championship not only ahead of his brother but also to WIN the championship. There are still 3 races left and anything can happen. As Murray has said: "Anything can happen in Formula 1 and it usually does.

GO RALF!!!!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 11:57 (Ref:699289)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
3 races left, 30 points in the game, 1 point gap for each other... WOW ! It didn't happen in the last 35 years...

Anything can happen !
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:02 (Ref:699301)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I think Ralf would disagree with that. Ralf might even be tempted to repeat his stunning Hungary performance in an effort to finish the championship not only ahead of his brother but also to WIN the championship. There are still 3 races left and anything can happen. As Murray has said: "Anything can happen in Formula 1 and it usually does.

GO RALF!!!!
Oddly, he might have a very good chance because of the chance of Kimi and Juan being cautious - a slim chance only though; because if the main contenders roll in directly behind him he'll only gain two points each time.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:03 (Ref:699304)   #7
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good topic here. Consistency is all very well, but with three drivers within two points of each other, the pressure to qualify well, start well and, above all, to PASS THE OTHER GUYS is going to be overwhelming. Some costly mistakes will undoubtedly be made. My other great fear is that TGF - or perhaps one of the others - will resort to some less honorable tricks in the heat of the fray. It's time for all the involved teamowners to inject strong doses of caution into their contending drivers. I would dearly love to hear what wisdom Frank Williams offers to Juan and Ralf for the next three races. Can you imagine how mad he will be if the two take each other out in one of the races?

Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:12 (Ref:699321)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Maxmil
Can you imagine how mad he will be if the two take each other out in one of the races?

Back to 86/87, he seems to be used to it !
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:22 (Ref:699338)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
OK, let's look at some possibilities: JPM, Kimi or SchM must race against each other - no question. On trying to pass the other can cause either or both to run off. Also, other drivers can get into the podium points, like Rubens, Fernando or even DC. Then there is the possibility of engine failure or car breakdown, and of course there could be rain and accidents. So while it is probable the championship will be between the top three, this is by no means certain.

I just cannot see all three championship hopefuls running conservatively to the point that any one doesn't do anything to beat the other two. No way!!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 12:57 (Ref:699379)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If JPM can keep up his form of 8 consecutive podium finishes (and making sure he's ahead of TGF) he could now be seen as the favourite for the title. But I'm not going to say it because I'm liable to jinx him...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 13:02 (Ref:699393)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seems the Williams is getting a rep for reliability. If all three start from the front two rows at Monza that first chicane will be interesting. "After you", "No after you", "nope I think you should go first" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, "Was that Ralf who just went past?"
Old 26 Aug 2003, 14:34 (Ref:699510)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Ralf must be encouraged by his excellent race - I do think he might continue to try and capitalise on Montoya's sensitive position. It might not matter too much, because he'll take points away from Kimi in the process. What he musn't do, or at at least he must be very careful about, is race Montoya so hard that both of their positions are compromised - it happened before and can't be allowed to happen again. On the other hand if Montoya can just find a little extra confidence in qualifying he does have the ability to be ahead of Ralf all the way anyway.

Also - Williams must be careful not to get carried away by their car's superior performance. McLaren do have a very solid race car and if Kimi can sustain the pressure he could easily nick it, with DC able to steal points too. And that's not even considering Rubens and both Renaults - also more than capable of mixing the situation up!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 14:43 (Ref:699529)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Schumacher is going to be wary of a straight fight though - all of them will be getting desperate come Japan, though...

May the best man win.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 14:51 (Ref:699542)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

...and the best car.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 15:37 (Ref:699609)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I think we will see a clean run. No point in driver A taking out Driver B when driver C goes past and gets all the points.

I love it, but it aint over yet
Old 26 Aug 2003, 16:28 (Ref:699664)   #16
Glen
Veteran

Oh yes, I agree with that Wrex - there's no suggestion, that I can see, of the potential for foul-play. The way the scores are each of them has everything to lose, rather than the nothing to lose situation which might give rise to Senna/Schumacher type scenarios.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 16:48 (Ref:699698)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Beware of those guys measuring the cars ... isn't it time we had another "Illegal Car" scandal?

Three races to go: "Driver A won the race but was disqualified because he forgot to say Mother May I. Driver B is awarded the win."

Two races to go: "Driver A's team's appeal will be heard between this race and the next one. Meanwhile Drivers B and A finish 1-2 in this race."

One race to go: "Driver A's team win their appeal! Championship now among Drivers A, B and C! Ron Dennis files protest! Film at eleven!"

Final race of season: Driver A takes out Driver C on the last lap; Driver A wins Championship! Race Stewards on alert to illegal move by Driver A! Victory disallowed! Driver B wins Championship! Driver A's team appeals! Driver B's team appeals! Driver C's team appeals! Formula One has three drivers claiming to be Champion!

And the winner of the World Driving Championship?

WILLI WEBBER!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 19:44 (Ref:699927)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, there is that possibility Liz!
Old 26 Aug 2003, 20:10 (Ref:699958)   #19
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce

GO RALF!!!!
VB !!!, I considered you a JPM Fan..., shame on you...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 20:17 (Ref:699969)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I think he's a Ralf's girl fan, speed...
Old 26 Aug 2003, 20:34 (Ref:699987)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the fact that it is so tight might have the opposite effect of what Glen is saying, every point is going to be important in this race for the title therefore it may well be necessary to overtake. Though I think no-one will take huge risks with do or die moves just yet.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 20:39 (Ref:699993)   #22
Glen
Veteran

Actually, of course, each of them has a different "dynamic", at least until the last race: Schumacher just has to be super aggressive and fight for whatever he can get; whereas Montoya will tend to be more cautious (I assume) because he has th ecar to naturally deliver the championship to him; and Kimi probably is quite realistic and knows that he'll need a little luck - right place, right time sort of thing.

Of the three teams, Ralf is by far the most likely to take points away from the challengers and that changes things a bit too.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 22:07 (Ref:700077)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Yes, you are correct

Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
I think he's a Ralf's girl fan, speed...
I have been friends with Ralf's Girl for years. AND I was one of Ralf's greatest fans here, touting him as being better than his brother and being teh next champion. I even baked humble pies for AMoffat. However, Ralf's whole attitude changed in F1. He stopped racing and started circulating, albeit at quite great speed. He couldn't pass wind. Then came the saving his engine and my radio wasn't working episodes which lost him much support here; only Ralf's Girl stood firm.
I also saw the immense pleasure JPM brought to audiences - here was an exciting drivr to watch. Now suddenly Ralf woke up - it took the threat of a 10 place grid penalty followed by a spin when starting on teh dirty side of the track collected that much rubbish on his tyres. But what a spectacle he brought to Hungary, where cars are not supposed to pass. Well, he passed his brother like a dose of salts . If Ralf continues to drive like that, he will win back many fans as well as new fans here.

Hey Wrex!!! In your last post, you forgot about driver R; there's 4 contenders, not three chasing the title.
Old 26 Aug 2003, 23:52 (Ref:700148)   #24
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
VB !!!, I considered you a JPM Fan..., shame on you...
Re-read that - very true. He should be ashamed for being a Montoya fan
Old 27 Aug 2003, 03:12 (Ref:700229)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Re-read that - very true. He should be ashamed for being a Montoya fan
Wheres that warn button, MODS, MODS, flame bait