Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2003, 21:06 (Ref:703043)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do peole say things like this

For team Jordan's technical guru Gary Anderson, there is no doubt that Juan Pablo Montoya will become world champion... but probably not before next year. "I am convinced that Juan Pablo Montoya has the best package but he still have a way to go before becoming world champion. Maybe he will succeed next year," declared Anderson. "He is still young so time is on his side but he has no experience of this kind of finale while Michael Schumacher already knows about that, which is a great advantage. Ferrari usually don't make too many mistakes and know exactly how the weekend will unfold. At Williams on the other hand, the team is still young and each race is a step in the unknown."

Its strange to me that anyone would think JPM or Williams for that matter dont know how to win. If the car is good the driver has only to do what he does best. The rest will come. I suppose winning Indy and CART championships mean nothing. JPM is used to winning, its losing that he has issues with. I feel he may be more prepared than anyone else to take this years title. MS and crew are clueless right now. They are in trouble and will need a miracle to win. At this rate MS will finish 3rd, at best!!
Old 29 Aug 2003, 21:36 (Ref:703057)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exaclty, Schu has been there choked that. Montoya can take pressure just fine.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 21:41 (Ref:703062)   #3
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Montoya can take pressure just fine.
Is that why he likes to throw away wins?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 22:07 (Ref:703073)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
He only does that when there's no pressure .
Old 29 Aug 2003, 22:09 (Ref:703074)   #5
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Montoya has made a couple of unforced errors this year, granted so has Michael but JPM's have been more costly (in Aus and Can).

However I still think he has the best momentum of anyone at the moment and that could be vital in these last 3 races. I just hope Williams haven't peaked too soon.

Ferrari's performance at Monza could be the key factor. I can't wait!
Old 30 Aug 2003, 00:57 (Ref:703121)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Is that why he likes to throw away wins?
Yeah, he's won twice already this year and is in WDC contention

Indeed. No driver has EVERY spun have they corky?
Old 30 Aug 2003, 01:04 (Ref:703124)   #7
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
NO Damon MS has'nt lost the WDC Bridgestone has MS has choked as all
Old 30 Aug 2003, 01:38 (Ref:703130)   #8
vatuloa
Racer

vatuloa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MS has looked like he is not enjoying the struggle this year in the past he has come from the back of the grid to the front but this year he struggles to pass
Old 30 Aug 2003, 02:13 (Ref:703134)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I would agree with one part, only Juan can loose this championship now, and I would'nt put good money on it.

Hungary was it people, I expected MS to lead the Williams home giving him a 10 point lead. If he followed them home in Monza and Indy and he would only have needed to finish with in 2 points at Suzuka to take it.

At this point though, only a silly mistake (unlikely) or mechanical failure (he is due for one though) can stop it now.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 04:05 (Ref:703162)   #10
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I don't nessisarly agree with the statement, I do agree that MS and Ferrari are very good at making things work their way. Ferrari & MS have often recovered from bad luck and racing has a lot of luck involved.

Winning in F1 is different then in CART and certainly the IRL. There it was about driving faster then anyone else. Despite frequent poor luck, his natural talent was enough to make him successfull. For some reason his Indy 500 victory is mentioned a lot. Despite it being a big event it doesn't somehow register as a special world class win. It was a cake walk for him.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 04:32 (Ref:703169)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, for the 3 or so races previous to Hungary it has become increasingly clear that Willaims are the team to beat (in Hungary they had the greatest race pace, in pure potential - and only Alonso's superb qualy effort <as in, putting a Renualt where it really should not have been> stopped the pole).

Imagine life is going to be difficult at Monza. Difficult at Indy (though less so than Monza). These events could quite conceivably end the title challenges (bar a Willaims failure or two (be it driver/mechnaical/tyre).

Suzuka. Now, this may well be a Ferrari/Bridgestone benefit. The thing is, it wil most probably be too late by then.

Bridgestone really have been ****e this year. Thoroughly inadequate. Then, so have Michael and Rubens. Neither have performed to their relative standards. Neither have Ferrari the team.

In short, should in turn out that Ferrari lose the WCC, and Michael the WDC, then there can certainly be no complaints. None at all.

It is simply fingers crossed time, in hope of some luck - maybe even rain! :-) - coupled with improved performances. Essentially, faith. Misplaced or not, without faith then there is no true purpose to support.

We'll see.

3 races to go.

In truth, anything could happen.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 04:41 (Ref:703170)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
even though JPM is the favorite you cant discount Kimi,he's gotten so close with the old car so there is no reason why he cannot go all the way.Had it not been for a few mishaps,like the spin in silverstone and the single lap in Canada Kimi would be leading the championship!!

Last edited by ralf fan; 30 Aug 2003 at 04:42.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 05:54 (Ref:703179)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I think Jacques had even less experience in his first year at Williams, and if the car had not let him down in a couple of races, Jacques would have won. So this argument of Gary Anderson's is just plain silly. In fact, unless the tyre problem causes JPM or Kimi to be disqualified, I really don't think that SchM has the form currently to win the championship. The guy looks to me to be in a form slump. I say without any fear of contradiction that, during the last 5 or 6 races this is not the Michael we know and expect to see in an F1 race. Unless there is a complete reversal of form, the guy just won't win.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 06:23 (Ref:703182)   #14
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I think Jacques had even less experience in his first year at Williams, and if the car had not let him down in a couple of races, Jacques would have won.
Funny you should say that. The only mechanical failure JVil had was the last race at Suzuka, where he was getting his arse kicked by Hill anyway. The only thing that kept JVil from winning that season was in front of the engine and behind steering wheel.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 06:25 (Ref:703183)   #15
corkholio
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Yeah, he's won twice already this year and is in WDC contention

Indeed. No driver has EVERY spun have they corky?
You know for some reason I think you can actually improve your sense of humor by hanging out with Kimi Raikkonen.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 06:30 (Ref:703187)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Cork, you seemed to have forgotten about his Melbourne GP (his first ever) where had it not been for an oil problem he would have won.

I'll leave it to the rest of the JV fans to tear th rest of that argument apart.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 06:51 (Ref:703190)   #17
corkholio
Veteran

I remember reading somewhere that JVil's oil problem was actually triggered by his "off", I am not claiming that as the absolute truth (as in you are more than welcome to make your case on that with actual links), but that's how I remember it. Though I don't quite understand why Williams had to force JVil to move over for Hill when Irvine was practically out of reach at that point and they could have cruised to a 1-2 with the same order that they started.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 07:10 (Ref:703196)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh, so because he made a rookie mistake, he must be forever criticised for 'losing' the 1996 WDC?

Get a grip on reality corky!
Old 30 Aug 2003, 07:26 (Ref:703206)   #19
corkholio
Veteran

Since Williams wouldn't employ such evil tactics as team orders, both their drivers were given equally dominant cars that was capable of winning the WDC. The car was relatively reliable that (1 mechanical DNF) whoever won the title was the one who made the fewest mistakes. The WDC points system makes no distinction of whether you are rookie of not when it comes to awarding points. You might see it if you weren't too busy trying to bait me in to flaming you.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 07:47 (Ref:703208)   #20
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Huh?

Keep the dream alive corky.

Damon won the title on experience. Get it. EXPERIENCE. You know, that thing he has with driving F1 cars for... let's count... 1. 1992. 2. 1993 3. 1994 4. 1995 5. 1996 - well, he has 4 more years of F1 experience before JV showed up.

JV was still very young and INEXPERIENCED concerning F1 machines in 1996.

YOU might not make the distinction, but most of us do.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 08:15 (Ref:703214)   #21
corkholio
Veteran

What dream? He lost the title because he made more mistakes that Hill did. As simple as that. Sure Hill had more experience but the points system is based on results, not "what JVil would done had he had 10 years of experience". Besides it's not as if he was some dirt tracker who joined Williams straight out of the middle of Hicksville. This is the same Damon Hill we are talking about that was getting beat by a lame duck driver the year before?

Just because you and a few of your SCHUMACHER-hating buddies don't like it doesn't change the fact that what you said was nothing more than opinion. But at least it's nice to see you bandwagon hopping all these years.

Last edited by corkholio; 30 Aug 2003 at 08:15.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 08:27 (Ref:703217)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nuff said?
Old 30 Aug 2003, 08:48 (Ref:703223)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by corkholio
Just because you and a few of your SCHUMACHER-hating buddies don't like it doesn't change the fact that what you said was nothing more than opinion. But at least it's nice to see you bandwagon hopping all these years.
Schumacher-hating? Bandwagon hopping?

Where-oh-where do you get all these crazy ideas from corky?

And I've never said anything other than MY opinion.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 09:06 (Ref:703231)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You know I always find it interesting at this time of year when there are commentators aplenty available to give a view as to who will or wont win the WDC or WDC.

Now Gary Anderson is obviously talented in many technical areas otherwise he would not be in the sport for as long as he has, but unless I am mistaken, Mr Anderson hasnt actually drawn a WDC or WCC winning car, nor had a driver in contention for titles of this magnitude.

I am not knocking the guy at all, but find it hard to swallow sometimes that people who havent done some of these things directly are quoted and treated as all-knowing by various publications. Mindgames spring to mind.

And yes I know this is odd coming from a forum poster

In reality its in the lap of the gods, can Montoya do it or not depends on more than just if he is up to the task, it requires others to operate at less than optimum as well, and to get support from his teammate. Not quite as open and shut as suggested
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 30 Aug 2003, 10:51 (Ref:703276)   #25
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I'd agree with earlier comments, pre the vill/hill debate above, that Schu seems less interested in the fight, perhaps it's because he's not fighting with the best car this time? Nigel Roebuck said in this weeks 'Fifth Column': "When Ralf passed him on Sunday it was as if he was being willingly lapped". His drive in Hungary was one of the worst of his career, it lacked drive and energy, it was as if he thought he had NO chance of winning so why bother trying.

This is what I mentioned when Schu signed his contract extension earlier in the year, all he can do is lose now. He's achieved all there is to achieve so why bother staying on just to get beaten? If 2004 is the same as this year I think that'll be it for him.