Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 10 Jan 2010, 15:45 (Ref:2611039)   #51
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
So the fact that Hand and Auberlen are in the cars is just being ignored by BMW rather than supported?

Chris
Turner Motorsport's Koni Challenge program and victories have been used in a number of BMW ads. Their M6 program is mentioned on BMW's press site.
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2611298)   #52
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
Turner Motorsport's Koni Challenge program and victories have been used in a number of BMW ads. Their M6 program is mentioned on BMW's press site.
Yeah, that is what I had thought. Leading me to believe they had given the Turner M6 program at least more of a blessing than the mere toleration of previous M6 teams.

Chris
Old 10 Jan 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2611303)   #53
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Again, I think Turner's long and proud history of flying the BMW flag in competition helps out there. We also know from the Loles debacle that BMW refused to see a tube-frame M3 out there but was tolerant of unofficial M6s (like the B6S GT3 car they'll now be competing against in Europe!).

Would be interesting to see how the engine program's success that is sure to come with Ganassi will be taken. I think that, if anything, Dinan should be able to get some promotional mileage out of it.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2611521)   #54
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
B6S is a Alpina, not a BMW. So I think BMW can't do much about that. Besides that the GT3 is based on a road car and not a tubeframe. The latter BMW doesn't like.

Last edited by FIRE; 11 Jan 2010 at 10:56.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2611548)   #55
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This year there are no Crawfords? And the number of DP is 14, it isn´t too much for the 24 hours...

By the way..., what happened to the Sabre RD1 project?
Old 11 Jan 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2611762)   #56
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The latest entry list is up at: http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/ent...ies=r&eid=1481

Up to 14 DPs and 28 GTs.

A noteworthy addition: Boris Said is joining Auberlen and Hand in the Turner BMW.

DK
Old 11 Jan 2010, 21:47 (Ref:2611913)   #57
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
B6S is a Alpina, not a BMW. So I think BMW can't do much about that. Besides that the GT3 is based on a road car and not a tubeframe. The latter BMW doesn't like.
I am sure that BMW could find a way to make Alpina's life miserable if they really wanted to. I don't think they do, however - they will just try to beat them instead!

I agree that their focus is really working against these bloody tube-frame cars however. Who can blame them either - the PR1 car is just an old Pratt & Miller GXP.R frame with a new body draped over it...no good marketing there!
Old 11 Jan 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2611918)   #58
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
I am sure that BMW could find a way to make Alpina's life miserable if they really wanted to.
Considering Alpinas are built at BMW's factories, I very much doubt they'd have any interest in making them miserable.
Old 11 Jan 2010, 22:24 (Ref:2611936)   #59
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Considering Alpinas are built at BMW's factories, I very much doubt they'd have any interest in making them miserable.
And also speaks against the notion that BMW has no control over or interest in what Alpina races!
Old 11 Jan 2010, 23:17 (Ref:2611968)   #60
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post

A noteworthy addition: Boris Said is joining Auberlen and Hand in the Turner BMW.

DK
allright....Boris back in a Beemer

and in something besides nascar....
o wait...
Old 12 Jan 2010, 02:00 (Ref:2612022)   #61
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Bimmer... a Beemer is a BMW motorcycle
Old 12 Jan 2010, 19:34 (Ref:2612342)   #62
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Birddog07, we'll just have to disagree on the roval front. I can tell you right now that the Indy MotoGP course would be utterly horrid for high horsepower cars, regardless of which direction you ran it. The F1 configuration has a much more open layout, which is very welcome considering how tight the bike course is.

Homestead doesn't use the second infield section for the main road racing events anymore; they use the Turn 3/4 banking instead now. I also prefer Pocono and Eurospeedway when they use oval Turn 1 instead of the twisty infield bits in those areas. In general, I like it when they use more of the oval, and when they can avoid chicanes, because you get something that's actually reasonably quick compared to a normal permanent road course, rather than a course that's really little better than a street circuit.

Also, the Atlanta and Charlotte rovals have/had some elevation changes, aside from the banking.
Old 12 Jan 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2612425)   #63
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weather or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmanlux View Post
Wednesday 27. my journey starts from germany over London to Orlando - see u at the paddock !!! Can,t wait to see the action and feel the temperatures from 10 to 25 degree - no snow
Here is a LINK to the local weather (at the airport), adjacent to the track. It includes a five day forecast. If you click on the "Customize Your Icons" link (very small text on r/h side of the screen in a blue `bar') and then click on "Page Prefernces" you may also be able to select metic tempeature display.

Old 12 Jan 2010, 22:43 (Ref:2612462)   #64
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Bimmer... a Beemer is a BMW motorcycle
Well, Excuuuuuse me. right country at least!

I prefered Boris in a 'stang or a Panoz, regardless.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 11:00 (Ref:2612665)   #65
catmanlux
Rookie

Germany
Germany
catmanlux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
@ thebear
thanks a lot for the link - great site - i can choose my language too !!!!
see u at the race
Old 13 Jan 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2612833)   #66
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well, Excuuuuuse me. right country at least!

I prefered Boris in a 'stang or a Panoz, regardless.
I remember when Boris showed up in the Mustang in a few selected events in the TransAm a few years ago and smoked all the regulars including Gentelozzi in the Jag. Very impressive indeed. He is fun to watch. I'd love to see more of him in ALMS or GARRA events in a competitive car.

DK
Old 13 Jan 2010, 17:39 (Ref:2612857)   #67
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
the big names are there, for sure this year....Mags is in the Stevenson Camaro, as well. Flying Lizards have their normal stiller lineup and are setting the pace early.

let's hope for another good race.
Did you also notice that former LeMans and Rolex 24 winner Davy Jones is lined up to Drive the 07 Corvette? Has he been doing any racing of late?

DK
Old 13 Jan 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2612965)   #68
merlot brougham
Racer

United States
Chapel Hill
merlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmerlot brougham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been trying to bite my tongue but...

Rolex is owned and operated by the evil empire of NASCAR. They will, if they ever have the opportunity, NASCARize sportscar racing in the US. They only care about creating a "product" they can market where the technology and engineering will be of least concern. These tube frame GT cars are a perfect example. They are all virtually the same chassis. And as far as race officiating goes there were plenty of phantom yellows for "debris" in the Rolex series last year and don't even get me started on how Brumos was gifted the victory last year in the 24 despite a clear rules violation or two.

As far as I'm concerned they are the enemy.

Having stated that I realize the clear hypocrisy of my following statement. I will watch the race. It is a race at a time of year when there is very little going on. And now there are legitimate (maybe not yet for the M6) Bimmer contenders in both classes. I also can't ever get enough of watching Scott Pruett drive. **** storm proceed...
Old 13 Jan 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2613008)   #69
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did you also notice that former LeMans and Rolex 24 winner Davy Jones is lined up to Drive the 07 Corvette? Has he been doing any racing of late?
He did some races in Koni Challenge in the past couple of years. Took fastest lap at Laguna in a Subaru, IIRC.
Old 13 Jan 2010, 22:20 (Ref:2613015)   #70
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske View Post
He did some races in Koni Challenge in the past couple of years. Took fastest lap at Laguna in a Subaru, IIRC.
Good to see he's still got it!
Old 13 Jan 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2613020)   #71
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
wow...missed davy jones.
the #07 vette has a pretty stout entry behind the wheel.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 13:29 (Ref:2613321)   #72
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Alex Job Racing hasn't missed a step. I think they will be a serious contender in GT this year.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2613486)   #73
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:

and in something besides nascar....
o wait...
HMMMM--BMW--NASCAR-- Heck, fifty years ago they made a push-rod engine, just update it and make it bigger.
Old 14 Jan 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2613556)   #74
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
SCHEDULE

is there any more track before the week of the race?? i don't like looking too closely at the GA site

Quote:
I remember when Boris showed up in the Mustang in a few selected events in the TransAm a few years ago and smoked all the regulars including Gentelozzi in the Jag. Very impressive indeed. He is fun to watch. I'd love to see more of him in ALMS or GARRA events in a competitive car.

DK
i remember both, and i remember Boris smokin' them in both! won the series in '02 in the Panoz Esperante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
HMMMM--BMW--NASCAR-- Heck, fifty years ago they made a push-rod engine, just update it and make it bigger.
why not?
Old 15 Jan 2010, 00:00 (Ref:2613615)   #75
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot brougham View Post
I've been trying to bite my tongue but...

Rolex is owned and operated by the evil empire of NASCAR. They will, if they ever have the opportunity, NASCARize sportscar racing in the US. They only care about creating a "product" they can market where the technology and engineering will be of least concern. These tube frame GT cars are a perfect example. They are all virtually the same chassis. And as far as race officiating goes there were plenty of phantom yellows for "debris" in the Rolex series last year and don't even get me started on how Brumos was gifted the victory last year in the 24 despite a clear rules violation or two.

As far as I'm concerned they are the enemy.

Having stated that I realize the clear hypocrisy of my following statement. I will watch the race. It is a race at a time of year when there is very little going on. And now there are legitimate (maybe not yet for the M6) Bimmer contenders in both classes. I also can't ever get enough of watching Scott Pruett drive. **** storm proceed...
If you've visited this forum often you know that you are preaching to the choir. There is not a great deal of love lost here for NASCAR and how they seem to run things in quite a heavy-handed manner. However, most of us, like you, are hypocrites and watch the race as it is the only game in town this time of year and admittedly, it is a great event and fun to watch. GARRA has it's place in racing, only most of us haven't figured out where that place is yet. There are some great drivers (especially at the Rolex 24) and so the season long driver standing battle is interesting and I like to check in now and then to keep tabs on who is doing what. Like most of us, ALMS, LMS and Le Mans are our main sports-car interest (and now AsLMS as well).

DK