Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Feb 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2637267)   #1
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Slowsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'Going to Sebring and I'm gonna bring... (AKA 'The Ant Thread'....)

('A')...an allen wrench.

Ok, so I'm gonna be a first timer this year at Sebring and I need help planning my trip. I'm coming from just outside of Road Atlanta in Georgia. I'd like to get everyone's ideas on what I need to know, what I need to see, where I should post up for practices and the race, where I should eat/drink, and everything else that is Sebring. I'm coming on Wednesday of race week.

Also, I think it would be neat if some of you on here wanted to meet up for meals and what-not. Maybe you already do, maybe not. The time is almost here so let's get rolling!
Old 20 Feb 2010, 21:24 (Ref:2637279)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Something to keep those crap fire ants at bay .

Decent size backpack for the beer , nice pair of shades . Radio for listening to Radio Le Mans cuz they really do know whats going on !!!

I thought the track was great for seeing all kinds of action , but you cant get too near the back straight .... Inside of sunset bend , last corner is a nice place to be when the sun goes down for awhile , and the run down to the Elan hotel or whatever you call that place .

Have fun , I did !!! ..... dont forget the radio and radio le mans , it will make a great race , even more enjoyable .
Old 20 Feb 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2637282)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hotel/Motel, RV or camping? Lists may vary.

L.P.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 21:50 (Ref:2637294)   #4
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Definately hotel/motel. I've only listened to radio le mans during the 24 through the internet. They broadcast on normal radio and how fancy of one will I need? Should my $20 radio shack headset work?
Old 20 Feb 2010, 22:01 (Ref:2637301)   #5
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've never tried the AM/FM at the tracks so can't help you there...

first timer? you got to get a tent and stay in Green Park; should be on every Sportscar fan's Bucket List. Granted, it ain't for everyone, but it is a spectacle, to say the least. you'll get the chance to taste a bit of Green whether you stay in a tent/rv or hotel. and you'll enjoy yourself regardless...Sebring is not as spectator friendly as (our) home track, but there some pretty awesome spots to watch the show from, and plenty of shows off the track that are entertaining as well.

it is MORE than worth the trek from NGA to CFLA. most likely, i can't make it this year, but there may be a chance...
Old 20 Feb 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2637310)   #6
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sebring essentials,

Rucksack
Fire ant repellant, watchful eye as to not step in em!!!!!!
Light weight rain poncho - although a garbage bag will work
Extra pair of sneakers and socks
Water (canteen/bota bag)
Sun Screen
Hat
Light weight wind breaker
Snacks, nuts, trailmix etc..
MONEY!

Scanner would be nice as the teams broadcast on them, so does Hindy (RALMS/RLM) but your Radio Shack unit should work .

L.P.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 22:30 (Ref:2637319)   #7
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
You will be able to get meals in paddock or along midway. Drinks also.

Sun screen!!!! There is no shade! (not too bad at night) You should go to Green Park, some interesting corners, hairpin and Turn 10, and interesting wildlife, so maybe moon shade

Either a folding chair or some sort of cushion type thing, heck, even just a plastic sheet, will give you some comfort on the viewing mounds. Look for ants before you become stationary. Take a good, hard look.

FM band radio to pick up Radio LeMans, which I agree is essential to enjoying the information about the race.

I am curious if you already have your hotel or accomodations locked down?

robber
Old 20 Feb 2010, 22:34 (Ref:2637321)   #8
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Not much of a tent guy, but I'll definately be "tasting" lots of "green" that week. You know, I bought a rain suit for 2009 PLM just in case...now I don't know if the damn thing has any repellancy (is that a word?) left in it!
Old 20 Feb 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2637324)   #9
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
You will be able to get meals in paddock or along midway. Drinks also.

Sun screen!!!! There is no shade! (not too bad at night) You should go to Green Park, some interesting corners, hairpin and Turn 10, and interesting wildlife, so maybe moon shade

Either a folding chair or some sort of cushion type thing, heck, even just a plastic sheet, will give you some comfort on the viewing mounds. Look for ants before you become stationary. Take a good, hard look.

FM band radio to pick up Radio LeMans, which I agree is essential to enjoying the information about the race.

I am curious if you already have your hotel or accomodations locked down?

robber

I do have modest accomodations on lock for me and a buddy.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 22:38 (Ref:2637325)   #10
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowsley View Post
but I'll definately be "tasting" lots of "green" that week.
Another addition to your list then might be bail money
Old 20 Feb 2010, 22:39 (Ref:2637326)   #11
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
If you are thoughtful in the item placement, you can use the rucksack as a seat. Be sure to put the sunscreen in a "ziploc" type baggie in case of accidental leakage.

L.P.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 22:55 (Ref:2637331)   #12
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Quote:
Another addition to your list then might be bail money

I won't partake at the track...
Old 20 Feb 2010, 23:00 (Ref:2637333)   #13
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Since I'll be arriving on Wed of that week, is there a list of weekly events anywhere yet? Practices ect. I've always loved the PLM night practice session. Also, what time does the race start? Is it 12-12? I always wished PLM finished more around 10 or 11 instead of like 8:30ish so there was more night racing. Am I the only one that craves the night?
Old 20 Feb 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2637334)   #14
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I won't partake at the track...
It doesn't matter and the entire area is on the look out and road check points are common on any given night.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 23:05 (Ref:2637337)   #15
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally View Post
It doesn't matter and the entire area is on the look out and road check points are common on any given night.

Good to know and I appreciate it. But geez, have I made myself an outcast here?
Old 20 Feb 2010, 23:20 (Ref:2637340)   #16
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Enjoy! The place drips with history. If you enjoy sports car racing, there are no bad viewing spots. Wander, enjoy, drink the whole experience in. Watch the bikini contest, visit the paddock. Go to the the Historic paddock. Take fish food and feed the fish in the aquarium at I think Dodge City (just before turn ten). The Italian sausage sub form the vendor in the paddock will be memorable, in many ways.

At some point during the race take a moment and just look around you, listening to the cars, looking at the crowd, remembering that you are basically in the middle of nowhere at a World War II bomber training airfield where world class sports cars have raced for more then half a century.

It is a special place, full of faults, which in a way make it that much more special.

robber.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 23:23 (Ref:2637342)   #17
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
But geez, have I made myself an outcast here?
NO! But, be carefull. Oh lordy, the parent in me: I have seen some accidents on the way home from Sebring, and I know stories.

Enjoy the race, come back next year and for many future years!

robert
Old 20 Feb 2010, 23:29 (Ref:2637345)   #18
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Quote:
NO! But, be carefull. Oh lordy, the parent in me: I have seen some accidents on the way home from Sebring, and I know stories.

Enjoy the race, come back next year and for many future years!

robert

Thanks man, and I will! I'm one of the most defensive drivers out there. I'm sure many will drink, at least some, and then drive; I will not be one of those.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2637349)   #19
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Thanks man, and I will! I'm one of the most defensive drivers out there. I'm sure many will drink, at least some, and then drive; I will not be one of those.
so I can count on you as a reference on my application to Highlands County Chamber of Commerce and Tourism Board

Enjoy the race! Come back and post about your experience!

As I said, the place just drips with the history of world sports car racing, enjoy the heck out of the experience.

robber
Old 21 Feb 2010, 00:37 (Ref:2637372)   #20
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Ok, so I'm gonna be a first timer this year at Sebring and I need help planning my trip. I'm coming from just outside of Road Atlanta in Georgia.

Mr. Slowsley, do you who or what group was at running at Road Atlanta today? I heard cars on the course, but had to many items "to do" today to make it over to see. I plan on running by on Sunday afternoon and having a look.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 01:25 (Ref:2637384)   #21
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
"Mr." Slowsley sounds funny. No clue. Sorry.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 01:27 (Ref:2637385)   #22
Slowsley
Rookie

United States
Near Road Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Mr. Slowsley, do you who or what group was at running at Road Atlanta today? I heard cars on the course, but had to many items "to do" today to make it over to see. I plan on running by on Sunday afternoon and having a look.

I'm about 15 mins away, but don't routinely travel that direction.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 01:46 (Ref:2637392)   #23
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Wednesday definitely take advantage of free access and viewing of practice sessions from the Pit Terrace areas - right above the pits on the main straight. The sounds alone are worth the effort. They're restricted for reserve seating after that. Take part of one day and wander the track over in the Green Park and North Paddock, many good places to watch and take pics. Night practice is Thursday night at 7:30 I think; great stuff! The schedule is posted now at www.americanlemans.com in the Paddock Pass. Qualifying is Friday for ALMS. Get there early on raceday as viewing mounds populate fairly early. Morning warmup is at 7:30, race starts at 10:30.

Have fun, and post back on your experience.

Last edited by pdxracefan; 21 Feb 2010 at 01:56.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 02:04 (Ref:2637402)   #24
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Good to know and I appreciate it. But geez, have I made myself an outcast here?
not at all
narcs ARE on the prowl there, but they are narcs and easily spotted, but have job to do.

Sebring is awesome and full of nutty people doing nutty things....
Old 21 Feb 2010, 04:03 (Ref:2637440)   #25
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Post hole diggers. And a jon boat.

I don't remember fire ants at Sebring? Maybe it's because there is a mound the size of a Volkswagen in my backyard.