Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Aug 2015, 19:18 (Ref:3564638)   #26
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
Quite a strange maneuver. Pulled onto the grass on the left side of the circuit, then drove nearly 90 degrees across and stopped on the circuit on the right side.
I assume that he thought the car was going to stop just before the kink but as it rolled on he decided to get off the line. Otherwise I'm as clueless as you are on why he didn't just leave it in the grass.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3564643)   #27
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I'm surprised the 350Zs didn't work together to deal with Hindman off the restart. Yes Zacharias is catching the #13 Cayman but the 3-4 laps it took to get past the #46 and the sister car might cost them the win.

Edit - Yep, that's a race lost for Zacharias. Congratulations for the Rum Bum guys though, holding on just enough (!) at the end.

Last edited by J Jay; 8 Aug 2015 at 19:52.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 20:13 (Ref:3564647)   #28
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
Seems so foggy today.
It's not foggy, so much as lightly hazy and overcast.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 8 Aug 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3564655)   #29
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ugh, as if it wasn't hard enough to avoid the Conti spoilers at SC365.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 22:08 (Ref:3564672)   #30
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
BoP wins qualifying.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 22:22 (Ref:3564674)   #31
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
BoP wins qualifying.
The gap between the P and GTLM pole winners has shrunk by almost 3 seconds from last year to this year too.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 22:26 (Ref:3564676)   #32
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
Edit - I'm listening without sound so if it was something else ignore me.
how did you do that?

3s from P to PC, another 3s to GTLM and then, 7s to the GTDs

GTDs are too slow, imho. What's the reason for it, weight, power, something else?
Old 8 Aug 2015, 22:54 (Ref:3564682)   #33
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As with everything they've been bopped to perform at that level, are not full to GT3 yet, and also have crappy Contis against the confidentiality-Michelins/Falken in GTE

Wasn't the last time Ganassi got pole last year also the time when they were bopped to top in quali
Old 8 Aug 2015, 22:56 (Ref:3564683)   #34
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Probably those pathetic tires and aero cuts. That Viper must be close to 1400kg.
Old 8 Aug 2015, 23:49 (Ref:3564692)   #35
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For fun the LMP900s of old seem to get around in the 1:51s to 1:54s. Never thought DPs would ever get so close. Imagine if they had those better tires.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 00:27 (Ref:3564700)   #36
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The race should be exciting tomorrow if the conditions are wet or mixed. The protos were beyond slow yesterday in the wet which could put the gtlm cars at the sharp end if we see rain again.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 00:52 (Ref:3564712)   #37
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The race should be exciting tomorrow if the conditions are wet or mixed. The protos were beyond slow yesterday in the wet which could put the gtlm cars at the sharp end if we see rain again.
Rain is no longer in the forecast, which means, locally, it'll be a deluge.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 9 Aug 2015, 01:38 (Ref:3564724)   #38
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
The track is around 2 seconds faster than last year because of the repaving.

-mike
Old 9 Aug 2015, 01:53 (Ref:3564728)   #39
Artur
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
As with everything they've been bopped to perform at that level, are not full to GT3 yet, and also have crappy Contis against the confidentiality-Michelins/Falken in GTE
What do you mean by confidentiality in GTE? Are the continental tires "open" in GTD? By open I mean as in LMP2 where the tire doesn't belong to the manufacturer, so rivals can access the product and research. I know that in LMP1 the tire has confidentiality, ie, Michelin owns all tires and they are all returned to them after used. They(Michelin) said, in a PR, that their LMP2 tires don't have the secret chemical ingredients because the regulation set the tires as open, meaning it can eventually end in a rival's hands.

Continental shouldn't be that bad, though. They are only behind Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear on profit and R&D investment. Falken Porsche qualified 1,5s behind Bamber(the other Michelin Porsche did no fast lap).

I can't believe Continental would be worse than Falken, unless the tire rule really means "open product"

I read this from Mike Hedlund, DragonSpeed Ferrari driver in Pirelli World Challenge :
Quote:
“The GTLM and GT3 cars have a lot more downforce so you tend to roll a lot more speed through the entry and middle part of the corner compared to a GTD car. GTD cars tend to square off more corners in order to get rotated early and back to the power since they can’t roll the same speed through the corner. The horsepower and weight is very close between them all. Driver aids don’t help much in terms of lap time, just makes them easier to drive close to the limit.”
If the difference in downforce is that significant for lap time, I imagine how quick that Ford GT will be next year

Well. official numbers:
http://www.imsa.com/imsa101/car-classes

GTLMs are even heavier, but have 50HP more

Yeah, I think the Contis are really opened, ie, with poor compounds. 7s if too big even considering the other factors.

EDIT: Oh my, I wrote that before seeing the above post. What a coincidence!

I hope the quote is correct, Mike

Last edited by Artur; 9 Aug 2015 at 02:01.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 01:57 (Ref:3564729)   #40
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
What do you mean by confidentiality in GTE? Are the continental tires "open" in GTD? By open I mean as in LMP2 where the tire doesn't belong to the manufacturer, so rivals can access the product and research. I know that in LMP1 the tire has confidentiality, ie, Michelin owns all tires and they are all returned to them after used. They(Michelin) said, in a PR, that their LMP2 tires don't have the secret chemical ingredients because the regulation set the tires as open, meaning it can eventually end in a rival's hands.

Continental shouldn't be that bad, though. They are only behind Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear on profit and R&D investment. Falken Porsche qualified 1,5s behind Bamber(the other Michelin Porsche did no fast lap).

I can't believe Continental would be worse than Falken, unless the tire rule really means "open product"

I read this from Mike Hedlund, DragonSpeed Ferrari driver in Pirelli World Challenge :If the difference in downforce is that significant for lap time, I imagine how quick that Ford GT will be next year

Well. official numbers:
http://www.imsa.com/imsa101/car-classes

GTLMs are even heavier, but have 50HP more

Yeah, I think the Contis are really opened, ie, with poor compounds. 7s if too big even considering the other factors.
GTE is GTLM. IMSA just calls it something different for some reason. GTE tires may nearly all be Michleins, but each team has their own compound and tire makeup. That info is not shared. Continental tires are terrible pieces of crap. The series mandates that they have certain wear and grip characteristics. The Pirellis and Michelins a team can buy off the shelf and put on another GT3 car would blow the doors off the pitiful offering from Continental. Conti tires are spec tires. They're all the same. The different classes may have some differences though. I'm sure the P tire is different than the GTD tire.

Also, GTD cars are not real GT3 cars. They start out as GT3 cars, but the effective aero and driving aids are stripped from the cars. The aero pieces are replaced by useless junk from Crawford which means the cars have less drag, but less grip, so they're faster in a straight line, but not nearly as capable in the corners.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 02:19 (Ref:3564739)   #41
Artur
Veteran

Quote:
The Pirellis and Michelins a team can buy off the shelf and put on another GT3 car would blow the doors off the pitiful offering from Continental.
Do you know this for a fact or are speculating(and exaggerating with it)?

On the 24 of Nurburgring qualifying, the fastest car on Pirelli tires was a Bentley, which was 6s slower than the fastest Bentley on Michelins. They all run on 'closed' sets(tires returns to the manufacturer so that the secrecy in the compound is kept) afaik.

Can Pirelli, off shelf(which won't have their best compound which is already a lot slower than Michelin's to begin with), tires really "blow the doors" off the spec Continental?

If Contis are really this bad I think IMSA should do something about it and request a better product from them(I'm sure they are capable of and their street tires are usually among the top rated)
Old 9 Aug 2015, 02:29 (Ref:3564741)   #42
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

On the 24 of Nurburgring qualifying, the fastest car on Pirelli tires was a Bentley, which was 6s slower than the fastest Bentley on Michelins. They all run on 'closed' sets(tires returns to the manufacturer so that the secrecy in the compound is kept) afaik.

Can Pirelli, off shelf(which won't have their best compound which is already a lot slower than Michelin's to begin with), tires really "blow the doors" off the spec Continental?

If Contis are really this bad I think IMSA should do something about it and request a better product from them(I'm sure they are capable of and their street tires are usually among the top rated)
It's a crock! The PCs got faster on the Contis vs the off the shelf spec Michelins they were on previously.

L.P.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 02:36 (Ref:3564743)   #43
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
It's a crock! The PCs got faster on the Contis vs the off the shelf spec Michelins they were on previously.
Because they were softer than the rocks Michelin was supplying.

Actual rubber versus granite is a big change.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 03:35 (Ref:3564754)   #44
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Yes, it's a known fact that the tires Conti supplies are slow compared to pretty much everything else.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 03:56 (Ref:3564759)   #45
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
We shouldn't really be blaming Conti for the crap product that their name is handing to teams.
a) They are made by Hoosier
b) NASCAR-IMSA doesn't care of quality control as long as the sponsoring marque in question pays them
c) The known P2 tire fiasco that the series is allegedly preventing the company from fixing
d) It's a spec tire so performance doesn't matter, it's not like the series is allowing actual contest between classes anyway
Old 9 Aug 2015, 04:14 (Ref:3564766)   #46
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes, it's a known fact that the tires Conti supplies are slow compared to pretty much everything else.
No it is not, as there is/was clear evidence from within the ALMS in 13 on the LMPCs.

L.P.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 04:40 (Ref:3564771)   #47
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
GTDs are too slow, imho. What's the reason for it, weight, power, something else?
Part of is who qualified the cars. Lindsey is an amateur driver, but with Pumpelly in the car it most likely would have been faster and a smaller gap to the GTE cars... How much smaller the gap would be I'm not sure of though.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 05:25 (Ref:3564778)   #48
Mike Hedlund
Veteran

United States
Redwood City, CA
Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!Mike Hedlund has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
d) It's a spec tire so performance doesn't matter, it's not like the series is allowing actual contest between classes anyway
Actually, it does matter. Go look back at my twitter feed from a few weeks ago where I tested GTD Continentals and the PWC Pirellis (hard compound, same as what's ran in BES/BSS) on the same day on my 458 GT3 spec at Road Atlanta (along with the #63 GTD car running at the same time).

Continental probably could make a comparable tire, but they don't make enough different build/constructions (not compounds) of the same tire to work on different cars. The series is the only one to blame for that.

Also as for the quote of mine used above -- the GTD regs have changed considerably since the 2014 season began. The cars are much closer to GT3 spec now (minus the electronics and the joke of a rear wing).

-mike
Old 9 Aug 2015, 05:37 (Ref:3564782)   #49
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
It has to be said that the Michelin LMPC tires, from what I understand, were basically almost treadless (shaved) DOT-spec tires. Being based off road-legal compounds means that they'd take forever to wear out, but were seemingly made out of concrete by comparison with an actual race tire.

The Continental/Hoosier rubber is an actual race tire built for racing in terms of construction and compound.

And don't get confused with DOT-spec. That means that the tires use a tread compound (and probably other items) based off of a street legal tire, but the tire itself isn't well suited (and often are illegal) for street use. Hoosier make that disclaimer for their DOT-spec drag racing slicks.
Old 9 Aug 2015, 06:58 (Ref:3564796)   #50
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Considering how close the FLM09 is to a full blown P2 car the low performance of its original spec tire was probably fairly intentional.