Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 9 Jun 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3259918)   #26
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TMS doesn't release attendance like most IRL events, but what you see is what 30-60k (just estimating) looks like in 150k seats instead of 20-40k seats like at street circuits. Most people at the track on forums like Trackforum said it was down from last year. I haven't commented on attendance all year except the Indy 500 and St Pete, which both had loads of empty seats. Perhaps D.R.T. is confusing Viewing Figures with Attendance.

I could give a rat's rear end about attendance figures though for TMS though, they've been collapsing since 2005. The real news and factual figures that I care about and are available with a 10 minute google search as well as my posts is the TV viewing figures for a much hyped ABC ''Prime Time'' race which was advantaged by a rained-out NASCAR Nationwide event on ESPN.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3259919)   #27
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
My point more was you can have 90,000 there as they have in the past and its still looks empty.

You mean it's Fordcosworthpanoz or me, there is no room to wait for verified and official crowds to be announced by the venue and promoter?????
The promoter hasn't released attendance for TMS since 2011 which was 60,000.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3259920)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My point more was you can have 90,000 there as they have in the past and its still looks empty.
I've seen it full. It looks quite different.

Quote:
You mean it's Fordcosworthpanoz or me, there is no room to wait for verified and official crowds to be announced by the venue and promoter?????
You can do that as well, it's entirely up to you.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3259941)   #29
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I've seen it full. It looks quite different to 90,000 crowd
I imagine a full sold out 150,000 venue would look different.

Fordcosworthpanoz - the posts regarding yourself and attendance figures were originally directed by bjohnsonsmith are querying one of his posts.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3260023)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I imagine a full sold out 150,000 venue would look different.
Obviously, the bigger the attendance the better, .
Old 9 Jun 2013, 23:42 (Ref:3260049)   #31
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TV ratings were a lot like the crowd.

Missing.

Quote:
ABC, IndyCar Racing earned a 0.3 adults 18-49 rating from 9-11PM.
Old 9 Jun 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3260050)   #32
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The speed is certainly up on the Dallara IR-05. in 2011 Alex Tagliani took pole with a speed of 215.186 mph (346.308 km/h) and Ryan Briscoe did the same in 2010 at a speed of 215.273 mph (346.448 km/h). However, this is still off Billy Boat's fastest race lap of 23.759 seconds, 227.273 mph set in a Dallara IR8-Oldsmobile in 1998, though he did get a tow.

The outright lap record is held by Paul Tracy at 22.542 seconds, 236.678 mph, set in a Reynard 01i - Honda in 2001. I don't think it will ever be broken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
BJ, remember that IndyCar is removing downforce each year.
I meant that it's obvious that cars are slower each year, because IndyCar is removing downforce each year. If aero settings were free, they would run much faster.

200mph is fast already. Seeng drivers take corners carefully to prevent spinning was cool.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 00:00 (Ref:3260062)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I meant that it's obvious that cars are slower each year, because IndyCar is removing downforce each year. If aero settings were free, they would run much faster.

200mph is fast already. Seeng drivers take corners carefully to prevent spinning was cool.
They were running faster this year with the DW12, than with the IR-05 but that's to do with the cars having a ground effect underbody and not a flat one.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 02:29 (Ref:3260095)   #34
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That was definitely preferable to watching the cars run flat to me in the sense that I like watching drivers actually have to work in the corners and take care to make the car fast and consistent. I find the flat-out incessant slingshot passing like at Indy this year to be a little boring because a lot of passes have no consequence. At least at Texas passes tended to occur because a car was faster and could pull away after. The problem with the setup being so edgy with respect to tire wear is that it did lead to that high number of lapped cars. Kinda gutted the contending field toward the end. That said it was fun to watch the leaders have to contend with quick traffic, Marco kind of came unglued there which showed there was more than just a quick car needed.

Maybe Texas isn't the place for these cars no matter what. Not the most entertaining, could have been worse.
Old 10 Jun 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3260362)   #35
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Cars got caught a lap down by the long green flag pit sequences (15-20 laps) being interrupted by yellows. Even with a wave-by, a lot of guys went two laps down to the leader when they made a stop under green.

You often needed the ability to pass traffic on the outside, and Helio was about the only one who had a car that would do that at will.

People forget that, last year, Dixon had a stranglehold on the race until he wrecked his utterly dominant Ganassi car.
Old 11 Jun 2013, 21:15 (Ref:3261137)   #36
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently only Helio could pass on the outside due to illegal Aero settings. No penalties for the driver, only the team.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/06/...cal-infraction
Old 12 Jun 2013, 01:45 (Ref:3261237)   #37
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know the whole 'less downforce must always be worse' thing is an oversimplification, even given the nature of the Texas race, but does anyone really believe he was able to run the outside line just because his car was making less downforce with the same amount of drag? I am not sure I agree with the lack of penalty, because they did breach the rules, but I don't think that had a jot to do with the car being so hooked up on the outside line.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3261527)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
Apparently only Helio could pass on the outside due to illegal Aero settings. No penalties for the driver, only the team.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/06/...cal-infraction
Apart from a fine of $35,000, Penske have been docked 15 entrant points unlike last year when Dale Coyne were fined $7,000 and Justin Wilson docked five championship points. There needs to be consistency.
Old 12 Jun 2013, 16:05 (Ref:3261616)   #39
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
So he got the same points as if he had finished 3rd. That's not right for an illegal car!
Old 12 Jun 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3261829)   #40
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Penske got points docked - Helio didn't lose any as I understand it. Although I can't find any tracking of owner points
Old 12 Jun 2013, 23:14 (Ref:3261840)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
Team Penske got points docked - Helio didn't lose any as I understand it. Although I can't find any tracking of owner points
The power of Penske.