Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Oct 2011, 06:41 (Ref:2969062)   #26
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post

There are no definites here but I'd like to think that any strategy in DJR's pits was being shared with the co-driver. (before he jumped in to steer)
Also I would expect Besnard to have seen the pad change setup as he rolled up to his markers.

My take on this is that its unfortunate, nothing more.
Radio issues at the wrong time was a problem for them.
Besnard should know to pump, the team should know to remind him.
Sometimes little things go wrong that make big disasters.
You have made an assumption that may not be correct though, you have assumed that the pad change was a definite, when more likely it was "we shall check the pads and make a change if we need to"

If this was the case then DB would be concentrating on getting into the car, getting his belts seat drinking devices and all the other stuff ready, he would not be thinking about the brakes as he would be waiting for the advice and he would not be able to see the wheels and so couldnt see if the brake change happened or not
Old 11 Oct 2011, 06:42 (Ref:2969063)   #27
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Firstly how had he known they had done pads?
Bezzy himself said so. The rest of your irrelevant rant deleted.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2969072)   #28
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You have made an assumption that may not be correct though, you have assumed that the pad change was a definite, when more likely it was "we shall check the pads and make a change if we need to"

If this was the case then DB would be concentrating on getting into the car, getting his belts seat drinking devices and all the other stuff ready, he would not be thinking about the brakes as he would be waiting for the advice and he would not be able to see the wheels and so couldnt see if the brake change happened or not
Thats why my posted started with "There are no definites here but I'd like to think that....."

The fact he has a list of little things to do like the fluid hoses, etc is more reason for the crew to talk him through. Which they couldn't, apparently.

I was disappointed with DJR all the way to Sunday and was very pleased to watch them work themselves into the race - and then it all went to **** unfortunately. Next year?
Old 11 Oct 2011, 07:07 (Ref:2969079)   #29
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Bezzy himself said so. The rest of your irrelevant rant deleted.
did he, or is that how you manipulated his comment to suit your argument?

Last edited by peckstar; 11 Oct 2011 at 07:15.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 07:14 (Ref:2969081)   #30
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Thats why my posted started with "There are no definites here but I'd like to think that....."

The fact he has a list of little things to do like the fluid hoses, etc is more reason for the crew to talk him through. Which they couldn't, apparently.

I was disappointed with DJR all the way to Sunday and was very pleased to watch them work themselves into the race - and then it all went to **** unfortunately. Next year?
i think we are in agreeance on that comment, Each team have a procedure, the procedure failed because of a radio issue and the result was the wall

and heres the worse thing, he would have been on the same strategy as murph and bright, but with a quicker car that either off them and ahead off them on the road and he would have fueled at the same time at the last stop getting the benefit of Whincups "lose your team mate bathurst slow lap". Murph finished 3rd. What could have been
Old 11 Oct 2011, 07:26 (Ref:2969086)   #31
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I'm sorry my extremely benign and fair comment upsets you so much.

You might want to go have a lie down. Seriously.

What is so wrong with saying there's as much fault with driver as there is with team? This is a big pressure motor race and mistakes can happen in all areas, at any time.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 07:30 (Ref:2969089)   #32
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I must admit that when the incident took place, and we got to see the replay and the analysis by the commentators, I thought it was a pretty stupid and basic error from Mr Besnard. However, it's interesting to see and hear the arrival and departure from pit lane as we do on the team radio's, and this is commonplace in race series all over the world.
Even the main game guys are told the basics from their engineers, when heading in and leaving the pitbox. The adrenalin would be flowing big time, so I can understand how this transpired. Lack of descent radio contact certainly didn't help. For poor Mr Besnard, I think he may be struggling to get another run with any of the teams.
I agree with some of the previous comments made about the overseas guys. I am primarily a sports car racing fan, and have a heap of respect for David Brabham and Allan Simonsen etc, but these guys struggle, as would most of the blokes in the V8SC series, if they made the once a year transition to a different class of racing. I'm really looking forward to seeing the fantastic list of co-drivers coming down here for the Gold Coast 600, as most of them are from the top shelf of sports car racing, however I won't be expecting miracles, especially around that goat track at Surfers.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2969091)   #33
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
because Mixer your comment is wrong

the team procedure fell over, the team acknowledge that and have come out and said that and have said it is not DB's fault

next time they will adjust the procedure so that it doesnt happen

But it doesnt make it the fault of DB which you seem so sure off
Old 11 Oct 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2969105)   #34
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
For poor Mr Besnard, I think he may be struggling to get another run with any of the teams.
Nah, not at all - he'll be on the grid next year.

Probably in the same car.

I don't blame him (**** happens and all at DJR know that) and I think he is in the top end of the list of available co-drivers.
Old 11 Oct 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2969546)   #35
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
he did, with a camera and microphone stuck in his face by Mr Berretta, for the whole world to hear

Quote:
Nah, not at all - he'll be on the grid next year.

Probably in the same car.

I don't blame him (**** happens and all at DJR know that) and I think he is in the top end of the list of available co-drivers.
he certainly was this time 2 years ago, but after the pitlane incident and this, mud sticks, even if it shouldn't, and he may have dropped a peg or too. In saying that, Marshall, Ritter and Simonsen were all go-to guys in the last 5 years, and after the weekend their stocks may fall as well.

Would expect the likes of David Russell, Tim Blanchard, maybe Chaz Mostert start to emerge as go-to people as they get a bit more experience, as well as any regulars who don't have a seat when the music stops come 31/12/2011
Old 12 Oct 2011, 04:37 (Ref:2969653)   #36
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconEL View Post
Wow. You're not serious in suggesting these blokes GET PAID to do such a poor job................

Common sense, seriously lacking. Howling up Mountain Straight on an outlap without giving the brake pedal a nudge to make sure there is something there? Needing to be told to pump up a pedal. These blokes are deadset spoilt.

I disagree. Any half decent State Championship level competitor could do a better job than some of the supposed "hired guns"....... Roland Dane is obviously not looking hard enough.
I too am surprised to hear that co-drivers get paid 6 figures! I know some talented state level or Sports Sedan competitors who would do a fair job for nothing!

However, people at National level remain absolutely convinced that they are on a plane far above state level and that the jump is insurmountable. They argue that the level of competition and the intensity, dedication and sheer talent is so much greater at National level. My own experience leads me to think not.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 04:39 (Ref:2969656)   #37
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Would expect the likes of David Russell, Tim Blanchard, maybe Chaz Mostert start to emerge as go-to people as they get a bit more experience, as well as any regulars who don't have a seat when the music stops come 31/12/2011
I'm stunned that David Russell hasn't got an enduro gig already.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 05:27 (Ref:2969671)   #38
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Here's hoping one of the main game teams supplies a car/backing for the development series to allow just such a thing to happen

Stories around Bathurst consider that FPR are looking to run a 2 car Fujitsu series team in 2012, themselves... no word on pilots... but its hard to see that any of the 3 codrivers they ran at Bathurst would likely get the gigs...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 12 Oct 2011, 06:43 (Ref:2969690)   #39
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
he did, with a camera and microphone stuck in his face by Mr Berretta, for the whole world to hear
Of couse he knew they did a pad chance in the interview,
he probably realised as soon as his brake pedal touched the floor,

does not mean he did or did not know beforehand.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 07:28 (Ref:2969710)   #40
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a web site that gives lap times for both drivers?
Old 12 Oct 2011, 07:36 (Ref:2969717)   #41
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bailey View Post
Is there a web site that gives lap times for both drivers?
Sadly not.. the Natsoft timing combines all the laps, and unless you kept track of who got in and when, its difficult to unwind. Having said that, there is a printed document the teams get with that information on it, signed as approved by the chief timekeeper of the meeting. This information also appears in the Great Race books.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 07:41 (Ref:2969720)   #42
Rob Bailey
Veteran

Rob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob Bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Sadly not.. the Natsoft timing combines all the laps, and unless you kept track of who got in and when, its difficult to unwind. Having said that, there is a printed document the teams get with that information on it, signed as approved by the chief timekeeper of the meeting. This information also appears in the Great Race books.
I've got the Great race books up till about 2002,when I lost interest in the event.
Was wanting to see the lap time between a few of the drivers co/pilots.
hopping to secure Terry a drive next year.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2969726)   #43
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you had the time, you could work out laptimes for the drivers based on the pitstops pitstops and when driver changes occurred.
Old 12 Oct 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2969740)   #44
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Here's hoping one of the main game teams supplies a car/backing for the development series to allow just such a thing to happen

Stories around Bathurst consider that FPR are looking to run a 2 car Fujitsu series team in 2012, themselves... no word on pilots... but its hard to see that any of the 3 codrivers they ran at Bathurst would likely get the gigs...
What sort of budget is required for that level of Fujitsu committment GTR ?

With or without driver salary?
Old 14 Oct 2011, 08:55 (Ref:2970919)   #45
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On one of the interviews I saw somewhere,

they were sayibg some of the top Fujitsu teams were spending more than some of the lower level/budget Main Game teams.

Cant remember where it was though.

But surely running 4 cars in two classes would not be 2x the cost as I presume you could use the same pit crew/ team etc to some extent.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2970931)   #46
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
they were sayibg some of the top Fujitsu teams were spending more than some of the lower level/budget Main Game teams.
What so 888 have more budget for Thommo's car in Fujitsu vs some of the Kelly cars or LDM's Krate?
Old 15 Oct 2011, 01:57 (Ref:2971415)   #47
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
Of couse he knew they did a pad chance in the interview,
he probably realised as soon as his brake pedal touched the floor,

does not mean he did or did not know beforehand.
considering he was trying to share the blame with the team as much as possible (appropriate or not), you would think if he didn't know, he would have said so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
What so 888 have more budget for Thommo's car in Fujitsu vs some of the Kelly cars or LDM's Krate?
is that rhetorical?
Old 15 Oct 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2971696)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Since 888 seem to be all promotions all the time, with the F1 comparo run at Bathurst, street launches in Brisbane, runs at the drags against one another, letting all kinds of drivers test the cars for publicity... you could argue that there is plenty of dollars in the kick, so a Fujitsu series program should be a doddle....

The engineering for the #80 car comes from existing 888 engineer Mr Russell, the mechanics are allocated specifically to the job... and presumably the running gear in that car is from one of the others, is race hardened (i.e. used..) having fulfilled its useful life in the Vodafone cars.

The team had the spare chassis anyway, enlisted into service as it was earlier in the year by PMM after Mr Owen's liberace-ing of Mr Reindler...

You could argue that most of the hard costs were absorbed as part of the Team Vodafone program, and the consumables were the only real variable... rumoured to be funded by one of the surviving LDG businesses anyway

Other teams in the series have to buy the car, pay for the staff & the engineering (even if only on "flyaway" rates), rent a workshop, a transporter and everything else...

The story goes that a bolt on Fujitsu team to a main game squad is around $200k a season, if all the gear is in place. Still a big number, but likely cheaper than Mr Jane or Mr Bates or Mr Emery are contributing to their teams' budgets...