Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Oct 2011, 06:04 (Ref:2970841)   #26
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
Hey GTR is it 1.5 average people wide or 1.5 people slightly bigger than normal wide (which I qualify for)
Its like those one lane wide bridges you might find on a country road, you suspect you can fit 2 cars on it if you drive slowly, but dont want to take the risk in case you cant...

Heaven help you if someone is coming from the other way.

And I was there in 1994 too.. A really dark cloud went over the whole place... especially Mr Perkins' equipe, but not just them
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Oct 2011, 10:39 (Ref:2970986)   #27
craig1
Racer

craig1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
PVDA, not disagreeing with you

just asking the question, where would you start the wall?
Without a map or an eagles view, it would be proportional to where the cars start to sweep right after the chase.

It could still taper away somewhat but it would be introduced to the track edge a lot earlier than it's current position. Any taper away would be well before the cars are at the apex of the short straight line to Murray's.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2971025)   #28
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
Without a map or an eagles view, it would be proportional to where the cars start to sweep right after the chase.

It could still taper away somewhat but it would be introduced to the track edge a lot earlier than it's current position. Any taper away would be well before the cars are at the apex of the short straight line to Murray's.
PVDA has linked to a google maps (although its a tad old) a few posts above

Im not disagreeing with this (and PVDA's) thought pattern, just wary off creating another issue in a different spot

I do think it might be time to create a new bridge, the one on pit straight is off a much better design,
but thats not to say the wall is relevant (and probably more cost effective in the short term)
Old 14 Oct 2011, 14:11 (Ref:2971121)   #29
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
still don't see the problem to be honest...

we all know the risks when we get into our cars and race, it's part of the game of racing.

let's be blunt, it's not like this corner has killed dozens of people is it? and if you look at all the times it has been hit hard, the same could be said for just about any other similar corner on other ccts, without destroying the ccts we have now with acres of run-off, seriously, we need to man up and get on with it.

Watching the video of this incident, it was perfectly avoidable for the guy that went in hard, as drivers, we need to consider this kind of thing BEFORE making that move etc. blaming the cct is all a bit rich.

Edit...

if we keep going like this we will end up with this happening to Bathurst...

Oran Park RIP......

Last edited by Simon S; 14 Oct 2011 at 14:17.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 16:04 (Ref:2971203)   #30
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon S View Post
still don't see the problem to be honest...

we all know the risks when we get into our cars and race, it's part of the game of racing.
That's a bit of easy cop out.

Considering the amount of money the circuit generates they could start doing a bit more work at the danger areas.

Long term they need to move or make the bridge wider, but in the mean time they should install a couple of layers TechPro barriers as they are better suited to short run offs than tire barriers.
Old 14 Oct 2011, 18:22 (Ref:2971255)   #31
Simon S
Racer

England
Simon S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post
Considering the amount of money the circuit generates
Old 15 Oct 2011, 01:50 (Ref:2971412)   #32
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
If my Google Maps link works............

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=bat...Wales&t=h&z=18

There's a concrete wall all the way along the old straight ahead line through the big gravel trap on the drivers left side of the track.

Instead of having it go wider prior to the bridge just have it keep going straight towards Murrays and widen up past the bridge itself.

The only other possibility is to replace the bridge with a wider & longer one so it "lands" on the infield further inland allowing more run off underneath and will allow for easier pedestrian access across it.
agree with both, either or.

There is no requirement for runoff there, there is other spots on the circuit with similar lack of room for forgiveness (albeit due the topography). And after all, it is a street circuit