Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Jun 2013, 21:28 (Ref:3256847)   #26
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
This is the worst race i've seen in a while. Ugly.
What race have you been watching? Yeah, couple guys have pushed too hard and gone over the edge of stable but most of the drivers have been mixing it up through the field. esp Conway and Kimball. But guess having them cruise around playing follow the leader safely would be a less ugly race, nice a pretty but boring as hell. Personally would like to see that pitwall cut back a little, would have spun off track and less carnage but sometimes **** happens.
These guys seem to all be torturing the tires in the fast corners, almost old school drifting around some of them.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3256857)   #27
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Double file restarts are stupid in OW racing, especially on street courses.

Good for Jean Girard and Schmidt Motorsports. They deserved a good result and finally got one.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3256858)   #28
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simon Says " Watch my first Indy Car win!"

What a cool indycar year so far. Nice to see
some new faces in the winners circle. Need to go back and watch
the dvr - missed a couple of big cautions.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3256860)   #29
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
What race have you been watching? Yeah, couple guys have pushed too hard and gone over the edge of stable but most of the drivers have been mixing it up through the field. esp Conway and Kimball. But guess having them cruise around playing follow the leader safely would be a less ugly race, nice a pretty but boring as hell. Personally would like to see that pitwall cut back a little, would have spun off track and less carnage but sometimes **** happens.
These guys seem to all be torturing the tires in the fast corners, almost old school drifting around some of them.
I meant all the yellows. When we had racing, it was great, like yesterday.

Well done Pag!
Old 2 Jun 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3256864)   #30
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It was a very exciting race. I thought Conway had it in the bag pre-race, how wrong I was.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3256868)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was a no show on ESPN over here, for the second race.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3256873)   #32
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Broadrun, Will had it locked down, so he wasn't going off the track anyway; Hinchcliffe went around to Will's right and was still on the road.

The end of the pit wall is already on the other side of the grass, and there is no wall immediately on the inside of the track going through Turn 1.

You NEED the pit wall to extend that far to prevent incursions, either from someone spinning to the inside of Turn 1, or from somebody overdoing it coming off pit road, and doing a Zanardi out into the middle of Turns 1 and 2. Back when CART was running at Belle Isle, you had walls the whole length of the stretch, both on the inside of the track, and on the outside of pit lane. You had a small, inside verge going along and past start/finish, but that was gone by the middle of Turn 1.

The racing, when it was green, was excellent! I LOVED seeing the guys getting those twitches and hanging the tails out! THAT is REAL drifting!
Old 2 Jun 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3256878)   #33
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Congratulations, Simon! I'm happy that he got to win a race.

Some drivers were too aggressive today. Their team directors must be fuming after seeing so many pieces flying around.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 00:20 (Ref:3256898)   #34
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The final third of the race was awesome! Those cars look like a lot of fun to drive, and they definitely were fun to watch. Congrats to Simon! Conway was so close but was too aggressive.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3256900)   #35
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good race today...I think IndyCar is beginning to make a comeback. I find myself actually seeking it out to watch it. Still don't give a $hit about the ovals, but, the road racing product is getting entertaining.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 02:20 (Ref:3256921)   #36
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I'll definitely watch it!

I find it troubling when a racing fan (myself) doesn't even know a race is going on.
Think about the above....
I'm a racing fan and I make sure I know when races are going on. I know of no series that hasn't a schedule posted.
I understand a non-fan not being aware.

jimclark
Old 3 Jun 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3256929)   #37
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What the hell was that about? They really have to rethink the double file restarts, especially at street courses. I have a hard time putting all the blame of the last incident on Bourdais as it appeared in the overhead view that Power slid out wide... but I guess he should be prepared for that.

On the plus side, the reconfigured course is excellent. Reminds me a lot of Melbourne. Once they got going we saw some excellent racing. Congrats to Pag, I was pulling for him. He seems to be a really popular guy considering his disability being a franceman and all.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3257083)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does anyone have TV and attendance figures?
Old 3 Jun 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3257129)   #39
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see the #77 win yesterday. Congrats to Simon Pagenaud and Sam Schmidt. This one was well deserved.

What about that corner Simona and RHR crashed in? Can they have an escape road there next year?
Old 3 Jun 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3257156)   #40
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Standings after Detroit:

1. Hélio Castroneves (Penske), 206
2. Marco Andretti (Andretti), 206
3. Ryan Hunter-Reay (Andretti), 191
4. Scott Dixon (Ganassi), 186
5. Simon Pagenaud (Schmidt), 177
6. Takuma Sato (Foyt), 175
7. Justin Wilson (Dale Coyne), 161
8. Tony Kanaan (KV), 160

Hinchcliffe is 9th, Franchitti is 11th and Power is 16th.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 16:25 (Ref:3257187)   #41
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
JHamilton, except for that once, the double-file itself wasn't really an issue, and even then, they've had trouble at Turn 1 before, with a less bunched field than they had in either race this past weekend Also, I can understand not wanting the last guy being half a lap behind when he takes the green, when they do single-file restarts.

Yannick, there isn't a road going straight on from Turn 8, so no, I don't see a real option for an escape road there. Simona was unfortunate to have a puncture, or whatever it was, right there. Hunter-Reay simply had brain fade in the preceding right-hander, and paid for it.

I left a comment about this on an article on the Series' site, but anyway, there should NOT be one of those wall gaps there where the cars are tracking out at the exit of Turn 2. Christiano da Matta had a nasty wreck there on a restart in 1999.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 20:50 (Ref:3257309)   #42
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I liked the track & the battles on it - seems it could be lottery each round now as to who is going to win which is great... Dont mind the double race wekkends either
Old 4 Jun 2013, 00:12 (Ref:3257384)   #43
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
JHamilton, except for that once, the double-file itself wasn't really an issue, and even then, they've had trouble at Turn 1 before, with a less bunched field than they had in either race this past weekend Also, I can understand not wanting the last guy being half a lap behind when he takes the green, when they do single-file restarts.
Except for the one, that contributed to an accident as you alluded, double file restarts cause an unwarranted mess throughout the first lap; good for action if you like contact, but it shouldn't be done on street/road courses in OW racing. Brasil was a mess and there was an incident here, all directly related to double file restarts. The drivers do as well as they can, IMO, but it's Russian Roulette every time.

And the guy half a lap back on the restart is probably closer to the front than he/she was when the yellow came out. Don't want to be half a lap back on the restart? Go faster.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3257551)   #44
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally watched the last 20 laps of race #2 on PVR... wow! That was excellent. I was sure Conway had it nailed when it became clear that Pagenaud and Jakes still had to pit in front of him. But Pagenaud's crew absolutely nailed the last stop and he drove those laps like we were used to seeing him pedal in the ALMS. Great stuff, really glad to see him take the win.

Fabulous result for Jakes too... someone I've never paid much attention to (even though apparently his best previous result was 8th last year in Toronto, a race I was at). Great for Conway too, nice mixed-up podium.

Poor Dario going backwards while driving to a fuel number... not used to seeing the Ganassi team get their strategy so wrong.

All in all, crazy bumpy circuit made for some great racing, all the first-half crashiness notwithstanding.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3257602)   #45
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Does anyone have TV and attendance figures?
Quote:
06/03/13 ABC's overnight ratings see gain for Detroit event Overnight television ratings for ABC's live telecast of the second race of the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit on Sunday, June 2, grew 14 percent over last year's Sunday telecast, which also aired on ABC.

The network earned a 0.8 overnight rating, up from a 0.7 overnight for last year's race at the Raceway at Belle Isle Park. The Saturday race, which was new this year, earned a 0.7 overnight rating on ABC.

Several markets saw large increases in overnights year-over-year, including Indianapolis, which led all markets with a 3.8 rating, up 54 percent from last year's 2.4. Nashville saw a 300 percent increase, earning a 1.6 rating compared to a 0.4 overnight last year.

Fort Myers/Naples was up 275 percent (1.5 vs. 0.4), Columbus was up 160 percent (1.3 vs. 0.5), Tampa/St. Petersburg rose 133 percent (1.4 vs. 0.6), Philadelphia was up 100 percent (1.2 vs. 0.6) and Dayton, Ohio, saw a 60 percent gain (1.6 vs. 1.0).
Old 4 Jun 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3257612)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
I don't know about those figures for Indy. According to Gordon Kirby's article, there was a fourteen per cent drop from last year's figures.

http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no387.html
Old 4 Jun 2013, 21:02 (Ref:3257791)   #47
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know about those figures for Indy. According to Gordon Kirby's article, there was a fourteen per cent drop from last year's figures.

http://gordonkirby.com/categories/co..._is_no387.html
That's the Indy 500 ratings which were the second lowest in history and the lowest ever number of viewers for the event in history. Those figures were for the Detroit race

Last year's Detroit race got a 0.7 which had a red flag for a half hour and saw the finish on ESPNNews, this year got a 0.8. So essentially a full race got a point better than a race that didn't even finish in the time slot last year. Congrats.

Every Indycar race in 2013 except Detroit has had decreased ratings from the year before. Fact. Tejas will be a big test in prime time.

The supposedly 'unpopular in America' F1 race on NBC at Monaco got a 1.0 and over a million viewers at a 7:30 am time slot and a before wakeup time slot for F1's biggest fanbase in the U.S., California and the West Coast.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3257828)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
That's the Indy 500 ratings which were the second lowest in history and the lowest ever number of viewers for the event in history. Those figures were for the Detroit race

Last year's Detroit race got a 0.7 which had a red flag for a half hour and saw the finish on ESPNNews, this year got a 0.8. So essentially a full race got a point better than a race that didn't even finish in the time slot last year. Congrats.

Every Indycar race in 2013 except Detroit has had decreased ratings from the year before. Fact. Tejas will be a big test in prime time.

The supposedly 'unpopular in America' F1 race on NBC at Monaco got a 1.0 and over a million viewers at a 7:30 am time slot and a before wakeup time slot for F1's biggest fanbase in the U.S., California and the West Coast.
Cheers; always can rely on you for viewing figures.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 02:58 (Ref:3257866)   #49
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know about those figures for
Uh, based on the date of your original post I thought you were looking for Detroit ratings.

Cheers.
Old 5 Jun 2013, 03:49 (Ref:3257874)   #50
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
What does NBC Sports broadcast on weekend morning and afternoon now? In August they'll show soccer and other serious stuff. That will help to attract casual viewers.