Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jul 2013, 23:39 (Ref:3280286)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Queensland Events Secured Til 2016

Story Here

Seems that Mr Warburton has managed to secure this deal for each of Townsville, Queensland Raceway and Gold Coast Indy.

Nicely done, maintaining the base of circuits critical to the championship.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 22 Jul 2013, 00:15 (Ref:3280299)   #2
hdt05
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
hdt05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fingers crossed he can now work his magic on Sydney

A good start to his reign.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 00:27 (Ref:3280301)   #3
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Surely this is incorrect, the wisdom on here said it wouldnt happen. will add the same wisdom as told us there wouldnt be a 3rd (or 4th or 5th) manufacturer

Good news for the series. will be interesting to see how they improve the GC round
Old 22 Jul 2013, 01:19 (Ref:3280310)   #4
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He seems like a steady hand so far, good news to get Indy locked in, that looked shaky.

QLD is a seriously important market for V8s so this is definitely good news.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3280318)   #5
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting to see what the freshen up is for the Gold Coast is, as discussed in the article.

Can they get Indycar back or another category as its been proven over the last couple of years that the current format doesnt work.

HDT05 - as for the Homebush event, lets hope not. That event has been even more of a flop against its pre event objectives than the Gold Coast.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 02:05 (Ref:3280321)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdt05 View Post
Fingers crossed he can now work his magic on Sydney

A good start to his reign.
Discussion is still going on apparently... not sure when they will be in a position to announce one way or another... perhaps at Bathurst time, when the other NSW-assisted V8Supercar event takes centre stage
Old 22 Jul 2013, 02:27 (Ref:3280323)   #7
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't it more than a little sad that our sport has become so dependent on $$$$$$$ from Government?
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 22 Jul 2013, 03:03 (Ref:3280330)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Punter View Post
Isn't it more than a little sad that our sport has become so dependent on $$$$$$$ from Government?
hasnt this made it less dependant?

everysport is dependant on government dollars.

think about your local football team, played on a government developed ground.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 03:04 (Ref:3280331)   #9
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
have you seen how much $$$ the Government puts into cricket, football, hockey, arts?

The government puts on events all the time. I think at least the events I care about are getting their share.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 03:06 (Ref:3280333)   #10
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:

every sport is dependant on government dollars.

my aussie rules club just received a $1.9 million grant to redevelop the playing surface.

The australian olympic team tens of millions to develop the team and its members

my local soccer ground just got 90k for drainage

my local tennis netball club 200k for resurfacing

Goverment money funds sport. always will. its part of why we pay taxes

Last edited by peckstar; 22 Jul 2013 at 03:12.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 03:18 (Ref:3280338)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

everysport is dependant on government dollars.

Every sport is dependent yes. As such CAMS recieves money from the ASC, as does Cricket Australia, Hockey Australia etc etc.

V8SC is not the sport but a profit orientated motorsport category and therefore isnt consistent with with the examples you have mentioned.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 03:28 (Ref:3280340)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands

Last edited by peckstar; 22 Jul 2013 at 03:30. Reason: dreaded double post
Old 22 Jul 2013, 03:29 (Ref:3280341)   #13
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Every sport is dependent yes. As such CAMS recieves money from the ASC, as does Cricket Australia, Hockey Australia etc etc.

V8SC is not the sport but a profit orientated motorsport category and therefore isnt consistent with with the examples you have mentioned.
But the government doesnt give the sport money, it gives events money. The events then spend the money on running the event

By your very own opinion the sport/business isnt making any profit anyway

Ask Dick Johnson how much profit he is getting!
Old 22 Jul 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3280343)   #14
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
But the government doesnt give the sport money, it gives events money. The events then spend the money on running the event

By your very own opinion the sport/business isnt making any profit anyway

Ask Dick Johnson how much profit he is getting!
It is, its just not going to the teams. How closely are you following V8SC??

In regards to the events side of things - a big problem is payments to V8 Supercar events and them running the events as a potential problem.

You look at the Gold Coast recently & the Homebush event compared to how IMG ran Gold Coast event in years gone buy and from a Government return point of view its not pretty reading.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 03:56 (Ref:3280347)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
It is, its just not going to the teams. How closely are you following V8SC??

In regards to the events side of things - a big problem is payments to V8 Supercar events and them running the events as a potential problem.

You look at the Gold Coast recently & the Homebush event compared to how IMG ran Gold Coast event in years gone buy and from a Government return point of view its not pretty reading.
how is that a problem?

are you saying that the dont spend the money on producing the event?
Old 22 Jul 2013, 04:18 (Ref:3280353)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
I reckon its awesome that the sport has managed to eke out business partnerships with the various governments, to inject money into providing otherwise unavailable events like Townsville, like Gold Coast Indy, like Homebush.

From a motorsport perspective, its great the money isnt going to AFL or NRL or FFA or any other sport...
Old 22 Jul 2013, 05:23 (Ref:3280364)   #17
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
how is that a problem?

are you saying that the dont spend the money on producing the event?
Ask yourself which events pay V8SC the biggest sanction fee

These are also the events (Bathurst and Homebush) where TC had his spray last year about needing more government funds to cover additional ambulances and fireys.

GTR - you mean business partnerships like the ones the ICAC investigation is uncovering? Or ask Archer how well some of these "business partnerships" are now when they are renegotiating them.

From a motorsport perspective - I guess thats the problem its not a motorsport perspective.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:11 (Ref:3280374)   #18
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Ask yourself which events pay V8SC the biggest sanction fee

These are also the events (Bathurst and Homebush) where TC had his spray last year about needing more government funds to cover additional ambulances and fireys.

funnily enough the ones with the biggest crowds, go figure
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:12 (Ref:3280375)   #19
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
HA! where's all the Doomsayers now? busy eating some humble pie me thinks

mmmmmmmm must taste sooooo good !
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:31 (Ref:3280379)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
GTR - you mean business partnerships like the ones the ICAC investigation is uncovering? Or ask Archer how well some of these "business partnerships" are now when they are renegotiating them.
Any charges laid yet? Any convictions? No? Amazing...
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:42 (Ref:3280381)   #21
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a motorsport fan or I probably wouldn't be contributing to this forum.
I was also involved and a keen supporter of the idea of bringing the Indy and Champ cars to the Coast way back when.
That exercise was a very different proposition to the GC600 V8SC event. It gave the Coast world wide publicity for what was then a vert Telegenic sporting event which received very good ratings in key (then) important and profitable tourism markets.
It worked. It drew local crowds and overseas visitors.
Times, and the event itself, are very different now.
The event itself is no longer of significant International interest. The TV coverage doesn't rate anywhere as well overseas, and probably not as well here in Australia. The crowd the event attracts is almost all SE Qld with little overseas content. Local business will tell you that they are not big spenders. Local residents will tell you that they are not exactly model visitors.
Bluntly the financial return the event brings, and the type of publicity it attracts are not worth the inconvenience or the money it costs.
I'm a Gold Coast rate payer and a Queensland taxpayer. While I love my motorsport the GC600, and keeping the admin at Nerang, are not worth the sort of money being spent on them while we are having so many other services cut by Council and Government.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:44 (Ref:3280382)   #22
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
I was also involved and a keen supporter of the idea of bringing the Indy and Champ cars to the Coast way back when.
That exercise was a very different proposition to the GC600 V8SC event. It gave the Coast world wide publicity for what was then a vert Telegenic sporting event which received very good ratings in key (then) important and profitable tourism markets.
The event itself is no longer of significant International interest. The TV coverage doesn't rate anywhere as well overseas, and probably not as well here in Australia. The crowd the event attracts is almost all SE Qld with little overseas content. Local business will tell you that they are not big spenders. Local residents will tell you that they are not exactly model visitors.
Bluntly the financial return the event brings, and the type of publicity it attracts are not worth the inconvenience or the money it costs.
I'm a Gold Coast rate payer and a Queensland taxpayer. While I love my motorsport the GC600, and keeping the admin at Nerang, are not worth the sort of money being spent on them while we are having so many other services cut by Council and Government.
your elected representatives think differently, maybe you dont know everything.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 06:50 (Ref:3280385)   #23
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The usual hollowers ae out there again,
footy gets more money,
this gets more
that gets more.
Yep, it is a pain, but look at it this way:

football stdium used every fotnight, 30k bums on seats, 10% of each ticket back to govt:
catering/refreshments every fortnight , 10%back to govt
local sports every weekend, gst back to govt.(12 years with junior afl, seem some nice little balances from weekend games)
so, yes that may put more there, but they get a hell of lot back.

Motorpsort, once a year, what ever the gov puts in, gets S######## back, but only once a year, just like the Golf Open, the Tennis Open etc,
so for one of events, dont complain , plus all the taxes from the casuals pay, plus indiect income from everything else, its not a bad ivestment, just that not everyone likes motosport. so do you want govts to be loose with your tax dollars, or take a sensible approach, create an event to attrack more people to spend more money.
Gotta love capitalism
Old 22 Jul 2013, 07:15 (Ref:3280393)   #24
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
For the life of me, I can't work out how they got the Gold Coast 600 over the line. The race in its present form isn't setting the world on fire, the locals aren't exactly in favor of it continuing, and the Gold Coast as a tourist venue is about as popular as a shark attack, with crime levels soaring, massive traffic issues and a lack of beaches. As a motorsport fan and a Sth East Qld resident, there's no way I am even remotely interested in going to the event. Hell, I'd even go to Qld Raceway before I'd risk my life going to Surfers Paradise again. But, good on them, lets hope that the "freshen up" will be worth waiting for.
Old 22 Jul 2013, 07:15 (Ref:3280394)   #25
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
your elected representatives think differently, maybe you dont know everything.
Our "Elected representatives" are at present running for cover from attacks by the local branch of the Murdoch Press. The State Government has refused to contribute to restoration of the beaches, which bring us tourist income all year round and are under attack.
The local "Elected representatives" are only informed about the likelihood of their own re-election. And there are a lot of people locally who think this is more about seats in S and SW Brisbane than seats on the Coast that they take for granted.