Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jos the Boss lays law down for '04 at Minardi

From autosport
http://www.planet-f1.com/Home/story_12625.shtml

Jos 'The Boss' Lays Down The Law
08/08/03
Paul Stoddart may be keen to retain veteran driver Jos Verstappen for next season, but the Dutchman has told his Minardi boss that he will have to find a great deal of cash for that to be possible.

Yet the Dutchman doesn't want the money for personal gain; instead he wants it to be used to develop Minardi's 2004 car. The team has struggled this season with their PS03, and more often than not have found one, if not both, of their drivers lining up on the final row of the grid.

Verstappen's best result this year was his 12th place at the Spanish Grand Prix, while he has failed to see the chequered flag in six of the 12 events that have taken place. This has left 'The Boss' feeling very frustrated, and he does not want to experience a similar situation next season, "if" he stays with Minardi.

"If I drive for Minardi next year, with the emphasis on if, a lot of things must happen. I really want to see results next year," he told Dutch publication Sportweek.

"Of course Minardi is trying to book progress on the aerodynamics, but that are not the changes that I need. The changes I need cost a lot of money and that is something we do not have."

Besides finding the much-needed funds, Verstappen has also laid down a second condition: Minardi are not to stick with this year's PS03 next season.

"If they are going to use this car next year, I will not drive it. I have to do the same as the other drivers, but I do not get any results. That is very hard," he said.

"Although there are only four races remaining this year, Verstappen revealed he is not planning his future just yet. "At this moment it is to early to talk about next year. We are keeping all options open," said 'The Boss'.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 22:14 (Ref:683317)   #2
Phoenix1
Veteran

I think this shows JV loves motorsport and Formula one as a whole but needs knows somwone needs to stop whinging about being at the back and get at least half way up the grid next season, good on him I say! Also shows why leading teams hould employe soemone like him as he has drive and commitment and wants the team to do well first then he will ask for more wages. I supose art of that theory adn logical is tema goes faster, sponsors are attracted wages go up as does moral.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 00:34 (Ref:683379)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Maybe Jos is looking for a drive in Team Phoenix
Old 9 Aug 2003, 02:06 (Ref:683411)   #4
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I am going to go start a "Verstappen to Williams Thread" and a "Verstappen to Toyota Thread" and a "Verstappen to McLaren Thread."

Seriously, when you are 30-something and with Minardi - where do you threaten to go to? Hesketh? CART? LeMans? Home?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 02:22 (Ref:683417)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
This is the funniets thing about Jos I have read since someone suggested he would take Rubins seat.

Accept reality 'boss', you only have a drive because Minardi are slow and you brought money. If it was just about the quality of the driver, you would still be in the grandstands.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 02:36 (Ref:683423)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well here is to a better future Jos, because it isn't in F1
Old 9 Aug 2003, 03:10 (Ref:683429)   #7
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give the guy some credit!! how many other drivers would be saying "I walk if you don't get more money...for the car? Most would be saying "I walk if you don't get more money....for me! I think its very admirable that he is interested in seeing the car improve.... ok maybe he isn't entirely thinking about the team but at least to some extent
Old 9 Aug 2003, 05:31 (Ref:683449)   #8
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
This is the funniets thing about Jos I have read since someone suggested he would take Rubins seat.

Accept reality 'boss', you only have a drive because Minardi are slow and you brought money. If it was just about the quality of the driver, you would still be in the grandstands.
was'nt he faster than Wilson??, yes he was!

did'nt Wilson drive because he brought money?, yes he did!

talking about funny stories: Minardi had(like al Bridgestone teams) mayor tire problems last weekend, Jos and Kiesa already had several sets of tires who where ruined when suddenly during free practice on saturday morning a Bridgestone employee told them about the "heat cycles" that would help solve the problem(the other teams already knew on friday), Jos reply to that was: "go get me some Michelins".
Old 9 Aug 2003, 05:34 (Ref:683451)   #9
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
and 12th being the best result for Jos is'nt right, Jos was 9th in Canada and 11th in Melbourne.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 06:52 (Ref:683464)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
All this is true Steve, but it's not like he has starred like Alonso or Webber (and given his experience), he should have.

I have no doubt his complaints are valid, he is afterall in the slowest car in the field. But he knew that when he joined (this is'nt Minardi'd first time at the back is it?) and his demands make him look silly because he does'nt really have any other options.

It's not like he's being tempted to take Michaels seat now is it? Although, Jordan are looking for pay drivers....
Old 9 Aug 2003, 07:05 (Ref:683474)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
there are negotiations going on with 5 teams.........
Old 9 Aug 2003, 07:09 (Ref:683475)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jos was lucky to get that seat in the first place. He could very easily talk himself out of it. There are plenty of other young hopefuls who'd willingly take it off his hands.......

And as for being faster than Wilson Steve, come on, with his experience it would have been pretty sad for him if he wasn't.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 07:10 (Ref:683477)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Someone better call Bernie, because if there are 5 times that desperate for money, F1 is in more trouble than he thought.

Care to name them Steve, or is this like the Ferrari rumour?
Old 9 Aug 2003, 07:57 (Ref:683494)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He whinges about Minardi not being able to move him up the grid but the fact is, he had his chance and he blew it big style. He drove for Benetton in 1994 and was crushed like the proverbial ant - yet did the Benetton team start whinging that he was driving rubbish. Oh yeah, actually, they did, they replaced him with Johnny Herbert, a guy fully deserving of the drive rather than this Dutch wannabe. Being friends with Schu M does not make you quicker either mate.
Please Jos, return to testing. And stop waving those bloody Jos the Boss flags!
Old 9 Aug 2003, 09:50 (Ref:683548)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
I can see it now.

*ring* "Hello Sir Frank?"

"Yes, who's speaking?"

"It's Jos Verstaapen can we negotiate for next season?"

"Tell you what Jos. I'll have my people speak to your people and we'll see if our lawyers can meet and if they can we'll have a bit of a negotiation. How's that?"

"Er, so if I get this right, we'll be negotiating on an ongoiing basis for the opportunity for our lawyers to meet?"

"Yep."

"Great, I can tell my fans that we're having ongoing negotiations!"

Or something like that anyway.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 10:01 (Ref:683556)   #16
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, its not going to be Ferrari, Toyota, Williams or Renault ( well they've all got contracted drivers for next season, but what does that mean these days!)

Macs look set to retain their line up, Jaguar seems to have its lineup sorted (If they have an ounce of sense anyway), BAR have one driver confirmed and plenty of options for the 2nd seat.

So who are the other 5 teams then? I only count 3 left and Sauber are rumoured (rumours I know!) to have Fisi and Massa.....

So 5 teams, yes possibly but they can't all be in F1!
Old 9 Aug 2003, 10:09 (Ref:683561)   #17
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
No, there are conversations going on. And like history shows us, Jos' people don't really know the difference between a friendly little chat and a contract negotiation.

You don't really think that a 30+ driver at Minardi has serious negotiations going on with half the grid? You can't be that naive. Or can you?

Anyway, this is all pretty clear. During 2002 Jos was sitting at home waiting for the teams to come an claim his services. First up was Sauber. They could use Jos as a reservedriver. Not even a testdriver, no a driver on the sideline for the unforseen circumstances. It turned out Jos didn't fit in the chassis. Whats the point in having a reservedriver for 2002 when he doesn't fit? No point there, so the whole deal fell through. Jos wasn't apperantly even considered for 2003, because a few months later, in august, Frentzen was confirmed.

Any other teams then? The waitinggame was on. The people around Jos, mostly his fans, were speculating like there was no tomorrow. Jos was close to being confirmed at litteraly every F1 team. Even F1live.com hooked up and ran a story about how Jos would be confirmed at Toyota during the Spa-weekend. Did it happen? No it didn't.

End of the road: Jos wasn't confirmed anywhere. His only chance of getting back in the game, as too settle for the least attractive seat for awhole lot of cash to be delivered immedaitly.

So, now he is in that least attractive seat. Why is he there? For the simple fact that no one else wants him or needs him. The previous season told it all.

Jos, apperantly aware (finally) of his lower than low marketvalue, understands that, if he is to enjoy a decent car before he finally retires, he needs to make sure Minardi heads up at least 8 spots on the grid. How does sone accomplish that? By increasing todays budget by about 300%

That would be a great idea if....MINARDI WEREN'T TRYING THAT THEMSELVES FOR OVER 15 YEARS!!!!!!
Old 9 Aug 2003, 10:16 (Ref:683565)   #18
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, No Sauber for Jos. Peter Sauber was quoted in the Zuricher Zeitung that: Jos is no option, not even witch a bucketload of sponsorship money.

B*A*R is in confirmed talks with Wurz and has Sato ready. I don't think they are that strapped for cash. Besides, 10 million gets you a titlesponsorship at Minardi, it won't buy you a titlesponsorship at B*A*R or Sauber. 10 million to be placed on the wings is an entirely different deal than a titlesponsorship for the same money. Will his sponsors settle for less for the same amount of money??
Old 9 Aug 2003, 10:23 (Ref:683574)   #19
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Jos should just concentrate on driving & not whinging, where does he think he's going to go at his age?
Old 9 Aug 2003, 10:32 (Ref:683582)   #20
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Wrex that it can't have come as a surprise to Verstappen that Minardi are at the back of the grid... OTOH, it's commendable of him to want the money for the team, and not for himself.

I think the best options for Jos' future lies outside of F1. Let's face it, he's not going to get a drive with an F1 team where he will have a realistic chance of becoming a regular pointscorer. I think he should seriously consider trying to get a drive in Champ Cars. The best drivers there are very good, but the current field lack of strength in depth. With Jos' experience, I think he would have a very good chance of getting a drive, and I also think he could achieve good results there. It would certainly be very interesting to see how he would perform in a Champ Car.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 12:14 (Ref:683633)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I have to agree with Wrexie, as he has a bat! R, you make sense as well in that CART would be a good place for Jos as he would add depth and value to the Series.

I am not so sure about the "$$ for the team and not for me" scenario because the better Minardi becomes, the better Jos (should be able to, anyway) does and therefore increases his chances of moving.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 12:59 (Ref:683656)   #22
Phoenix1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
I think Jos should just concentrate on driving & not whinging, where does he think he's going to go at his age?
I think that is what Jos wants, to drive. My main point was like mentioned by others Jos is wanting the team to have money and move up or he will go, maybe he will go to CART ot BTCC? Who knows but better to keep winning at CARt/BTCC than be last every F1 race.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 16:26 (Ref:683739)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Jos is negotiating with anyone it will probably be for a testing role .
Old 9 Aug 2003, 17:00 (Ref:683756)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Maybe Jos can get (or buy?) a Jordan seat if Fisichella moves to Sauber. Other teams? I think only as a test driver.

If he has no seat next year I think he will quit racing. In several interviews he said that he will not race in CART or IRL. Maybe there is a small chance he will do Le Mans with Jan Lammers or race in DTM. But there is more chance will go tune kart engines. Last year he was the tuner of World Champion Karting Guido van de Garde.
Old 9 Aug 2003, 17:03 (Ref:683760)   #25
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Jos is better then most people give him credit for. However I don't think he will end up getting a midfield ride like he deserves, just like how Fisi will not get the top ride he deserves.

CART is the perfect place for him, where the driver can move a mediocre car up to the front. Granted this year this is more disparity amoung teams and drivers, but it should be better soon like it was a couple years ago.