Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Dec 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3485867)   #551
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am not surprised that Ferrari did so poorly after reading Gary Anderson's description of it. He said it looked like the old V8 with 2 cylinders removed and ERS added.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...358.1403130801

No wonder they would like to ditch their current engine.
Old 17 Dec 2014, 22:17 (Ref:3485892)   #552
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I am not surprised that Ferrari did so poorly after reading Gary Anderson's description of it. He said it looked like the old V8 with 2 cylinders removed and ERS added.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...358.1403130801

No wonder they would like to ditch their current engine.
So their attitude was lets do more of the same. Mercedes went about it completely differently and even ditched a concept car when it was half designed because they had learnt so much in the process.

One team took a professional approach to development and one did not.....
And look at the results....
Old 24 Jan 2015, 02:43 (Ref:3495842)   #553
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Mario Illien's thoughts ..

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns29821.html
Old 24 Jan 2015, 03:49 (Ref:3495852)   #554
Finski
Rookie

Finland
Australia
Finski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had to choose, I'd go with any of the older engines but I do like to V6 turbos, they sounded better live than on TV. People that stopped watching F1 purely because of the sound, it baffles me, I assume they are not really racing fans. I appreciate these awesome machines for what they are.
Old 24 Jan 2015, 08:25 (Ref:3495901)   #555
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finski View Post
If I had to choose, I'd go with any of the older engines but I do like to V6 turbos, they sounded better live than on TV. People that stopped watching F1 purely because of the sound, it baffles me, I assume they are not really racing fans. I appreciate these awesome machines for what they are.
Welcome to Ten Tenths Finski.....I think once the regulations are opened up.on these engines they will sound more exciting. I thought they sounded good live although I am a little torn as I do miss the scream of the older engines I will continue to watch because I am a fan of the sport ....
Old 26 Jan 2015, 15:53 (Ref:3497637)   #556
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i also liked the sound of the new engines and the 'quieter' sound provided a whole new level of comfort which added to my spectator experience.

by contrast we also got to experience the old engines as well since their was a historic support series race prior to the main event in Monty.

if this makes sense, for me it was nice to 'feel' the old engines again and while that was a nice 10 or so lap reminder i was happy when it was over so that i could take out my earplugs because my ears did not miss 'hearing' them.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 02:51 (Ref:3497851)   #557
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you took your 5 year old to a modern F1 grand prix do you think they would leave knowing that they had been to something special and remembering the day for ever, as they would have in years gone by?
Old 27 Jan 2015, 06:41 (Ref:3497889)   #558
anishcgnr
Rookie

anishcgnr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mercedes' Niki and new Ferrari team principal recently said, F1 must need revolution. And also F1 boss hints after 2016 they will change V6 engine to V8 or V10. I love V8 engine's sound... its a powerful...
Old 27 Jan 2015, 07:37 (Ref:3497897)   #559
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Based on a sample size of one: yes.

During some downtime between sessions at Silverstone last year I spotted some friends in the Abbey grandstand so went to see them. While we were talking, a 6 year old boy approached and asked if he could have his photo taken with me in all my bibbed, radio headset wearing orange overalled finery (which still makes me grin like a loon).

I chatted to him and his dad for a couple of minutes, and I specifically asked him about the cars. What did he think?

"AWESOME!"

The speed and the sound were the two things he mentioned.

So not scientific but he'll certainly remember it as something special.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 08:21 (Ref:3497912)   #560
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sounds promising. I have a 1 year old, and I would love for him to look at racing the same way I did growing up. But watching F1 on TV now, I fear that's not possible for him.

I was lucky enough to attend the New Zealand Festival of Motorsport last weekend where there we 6 old F1 cars, most demonstrating on track. They were from several decades, spanning a couple of BRM V12's, a 90's Ferrari V12, two early 2000's Arrows V10's and a Judd V8 from the early 90's that sadly wasn't able to run. One thing I did say to a friend of mine at the event is that I wasn't sure you could put a single 2014 spec F1 car out on track and hold the same level of audience/spectator attention as what these cars did. I just don't know if the children would walk away knowing they had seen something special. But as I say, I live in hope, and my young fella and I will no doubt attend a Grand Prix in time, if he holds enough interest in it.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 08:52 (Ref:3497918)   #561
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
If you took your 5 year old to a modern F1 grand prix do you think they would leave knowing that they had been to something special and remembering the day for ever, as they would have in years gone by?
My first ever motor race was the Daily Express Trophy Silver Jubilee in 1973 at Silverstone and it was very memorable as my hero Jackie Stewart won it having started on pole and fallen back down the field. However, what was also very memorable was the noise of the engines, I had to block my ears, every time a car went passed the grandstand, which slightly detracted from the overall experience.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3498013)   #562
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I was a lot older than 5 but my first F1 had I4, V8,V12 and H16, I was quivering and spoiled, the next 20 or so years were wonderful but as in so many other series things devolved to one spec, sadly monotonous (in the tone sense). To me how good or bad the engines sound is much less important than variety of sounds.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 15:20 (Ref:3498014)   #563
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
agreed if you want life long fans you need to get people interested at a young age.

that said, given the costs associated with attending, is F1 really an event that encourages people to bring their families let alone small children too?

for a family of 4 to get tickets for a GP weekend they are looking at around $2000 just for admission alone (grandstand prices)...from my experiences at Montreal over the years, sound or no sound it has never been a kid focused event.
Old 27 Jan 2015, 21:47 (Ref:3498101)   #564
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
agreed if you want life long fans you need to get people interested at a young age.

that said, given the costs associated with attending, is F1 really an event that encourages people to bring their families let alone small children too?

for a family of 4 to get tickets for a GP weekend they are looking at around $2000 just for admission alone (grandstand prices)...from my experiences at Montreal over the years, sound or no sound it has never been a kid focused event.
I would going to post something similar.

Who can afford to attend? If they did, I suspect they would like the current cars. Best be for me is to take kids to vintage racing events (inexpensive, low key, fan friendly). So it may be a number of decades, but eventually today's machinery "might" show up at an event like that. Kids will be old and out of the house by then.

Richard
Old 28 Jan 2015, 00:15 (Ref:3498141)   #565
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
That sounds promising. I have a 1 year old, and I would love for him to look at racing the same way I did growing up. But watching F1 on TV now, I fear that's not possible for him.

I was lucky enough to attend the New Zealand Festival of Motorsport last weekend where there we 6 old F1 cars, most demonstrating on track. They were from several decades, spanning a couple of BRM V12's, a 90's Ferrari V12, two early 2000's Arrows V10's and a Judd V8 from the early 90's that sadly wasn't able to run. One thing I did say to a friend of mine at the event is that I wasn't sure you could put a single 2014 spec F1 car out on track and hold the same level of audience/spectator attention as what these cars did. I just don't know if the children would walk away knowing they had seen something special. But as I say, I live in hope, and my young fella and I will no doubt attend a Grand Prix in time, if he holds enough interest in it.
Your one year old son is not aware of F1 previous to him attending his first race, so it does not matter does it ...
Old 28 Jan 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3498209)   #566
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd say that (finances aside) it's us enthusiasts that can influence our kids. If we go around screaming that F1 is rubbish, they'll take that on board. To much "not like the old days" and they'll just go play Minecraft instead.
Old 1 Feb 2015, 11:27 (Ref:3499701)   #567
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'd say that (finances aside) it's us enthusiasts that can influence our kids. If we go around screaming that F1 is rubbish, they'll take that on board. To much "not like the old days" and they'll just go play Minecraft instead.
Very true there is way to much criticism pointed at F 1....

I find it rather interesting ( getting back to sound) that someone recording video at winter testing using a cell phone no less, can provide better sounding audio of the cars than the world feed during a race ...
Old 2 Feb 2015, 14:48 (Ref:3500111)   #568
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im 27 and I am a F1 addict I have been since the first race I remember watching live which I think was 1994 at Magny-Cours. Been to Silverstone twice and Budapest once since. I prefer to watch a race on TV as you get to see and know much more about what is going on in the race via martin for example - but the feeling and excitement you get about being there live is completely different and you enjoy it for different reasons.

Me and my dad would normally stay up late to watch as many F1 races live on TV as much as we could and it will always be some of the best Father Son moments
Old 3 Feb 2015, 17:00 (Ref:3500489)   #569
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is it me or does the Mercedes have a much smoother note this year?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 14:32 (Ref:3500843)   #570
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Is it me or does the Mercedes have a much smoother note this year?
I believe this is related to them changing the exhaust manifold layout from the 'log' style to an equal length style. I have seen several technical analyses (in Italian) on the web that point this out.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 19:20 (Ref:3500952)   #571
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Mercedes are saying that the PU's are louder as well !

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns29888.html
Old 4 Feb 2015, 22:15 (Ref:3501024)   #572
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
So that's "now we've got used to them they actually don't sound that bad at all. However I can now hear my kids moaning when I'm home, and the normally aspirated V8s used to mask that. I miss them (the V8s, not the kids)"
Old 8 Feb 2015, 17:16 (Ref:3502941)   #573
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
That's funny Greem !
The idea of a twin turbo V8 has been rejected thank goodness, common sense has prevailed ...
Old 10 Feb 2015, 14:25 (Ref:3503677)   #574
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they want the sound back they either have to go NA or put playing cards in the wheel spokes.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3504083)   #575
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Is this because Renault don't think they can deliver I wonder ?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117657