Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Feb 2015, 10:45 (Ref:3500785)   #251
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Here's hoping the right amount of funding arrives from somewhere, to get a pair of cars on the grid in Melbourne!
surely only a fool would consider trying to be on the grid when your only opponent would be the 107% rule?

i guess there's a small jot of logic behind chasing the prize money, given that over the course of a season it could cover a fair percentage of the cost of running the car, but...
Old 4 Feb 2015, 10:53 (Ref:3500788)   #252
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
surely only a fool would consider trying to be on the grid when your only opponent would be the 107% rule?

i guess there's a small jot of logic behind chasing the prize money, given that over the course of a season it could cover a fair percentage of the cost of running the car, but...
The question probably remains though, if the squad is allowed to use the '14 chassis, and the '14 Ferrari engine (presuming Ferrari are still on board with the project...) whether there are actually 2 fully functioning '14-spec chassis in the world somewhere for use
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 4 Feb 2015, 11:03 (Ref:3500793)   #253
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The question probably remains though, if the squad is allowed to use the '14 chassis, and the '14 Ferrari engine (presuming Ferrari are still on board with the project...) whether there are actually 2 fully functioning '14-spec chassis in the world somewhere for use
The cars still in abu dhabi? (would have been a brilliant move to have done that!) away from the creditors. All very well saying that have a team/entry but they are never going to qualify with no drivers or indeed team to facilitate the team. What do they say about an fool and their money.. They fund F1 teams.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 11:17 (Ref:3500797)   #254
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Be interesting to see who is behind it but it must be a very credible and well funded proposal for the administrator to take it seriously and not another finger in the air dreamer wanting to play with some F1 cars.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 12:00 (Ref:3500805)   #255
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I read a story that Ferrari might be interested in buying Marussia to create a junior team like RedBull and STR. Can't find the like but there is some logic to the idea i.e. it would give Ferrari greater influence in F1, Marussia use Ferrari engines so helps with development. Ferrari should be able to get something out of what they are owed by Marussia.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 12:33 (Ref:3500811)   #256
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I was expecting this to be more hot air, but it says that they have paid the 2015 entry fee, which I presume is a substantial sum?

We have already had suggestion of a Ferrari and Mclaren Jr team. Whilst we are merely speculating, I would suggest that Honda might like another team to run their engines and provide more feedback. Of course, this would be a very expensive way of doing that...

Marussia have no factory, so would need a new base, unless they can agree to rent their old one back of Haas on a temp basis.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 12:44 (Ref:3500813)   #257
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Whatever happened to rumours of a Romanian-backed F1 team?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 12:45 (Ref:3500814)   #258
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I was expecting this to be more hot air, but it says that they have paid the 2015 entry fee, which I presume is a substantial sum?

We have already had suggestion of a Ferrari and Mclaren Jr team. Whilst we are merely speculating, I would suggest that Honda might like another team to run their engines and provide more feedback. Of course, this would be a very expensive way of doing that...

Marussia have no factory, so would need a new base, unless they can agree to rent their old one back of Haas on a temp basis.
Caterham might have a base they arent using
Old 4 Feb 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3500815)   #259
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's plenty of suitable workshop type space in the motorsport triangle, i don't think that's really going to be a problem

i'm pretty sure it's not an existing team wanting a junior setup. for starters it'd be wasting money they could spend on their own car. adapting the marussia chassis to take an engine other than last years ferrari is probably a bit of a pain in the backside and would make melbourne a total impossibility...
Old 4 Feb 2015, 12:50 (Ref:3500816)   #260
jee
Rookie

Denmark
jee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Whatever happened to rumours of a Romanian-backed F1 team?
Forza Rossa is coming 2016
Old 4 Feb 2015, 13:24 (Ref:3500823)   #261
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
there's plenty of suitable workshop type space in the motorsport triangle, i don't think that's really going to be a problem

i'm pretty sure it's not an existing team wanting a junior setup. for starters it'd be wasting money they could spend on their own car. adapting the marussia chassis to take an engine other than last years ferrari is probably a bit of a pain in the backside and would make melbourne a total impossibility...
How many changes would McLaren or Ferrari have to make their 2015 chassis in order for it to be classed as 'different' and therefore not a customer chassis?
That could be a more effective answer than modifying the Marussia chassis to suit a different engine installation...
Old 4 Feb 2015, 13:26 (Ref:3500824)   #262
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
a fair path to go down, but it'd still take them a while to build 2 new ones though. f1 teams struggle to get 2 chassis ready in time to air freight them to melbourne, how would they manage to get another 2 ready for manor?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3500828)   #263
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
a fair path to go down, but it'd still take them a while to build 2 new ones though. f1 teams struggle to get 2 chassis ready in time to air freight them to melbourne, how would they manage to get another 2 ready for manor?
I don't know the answer to that bella, but the idea flashed through my head that my suggestion could be a better alternative.
One more thing, I can't remember now where I read it, but I'm sure the team doesn't have to appear until a few races into the season without forfeiting their Bernie money, so they may have more time than we think to either adapt the existing or build a new chassis...
Old 4 Feb 2015, 13:43 (Ref:3500829)   #264
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i've seen that too, that they can miss 2 races in a season and not get into too much trouble. but i think the prize money is proportional to the number of races they turn up for this season. so if they turned up for 2 less, there'd be the relevant percentage missing from the 2014 money they're turning up to gain.

tricky balance isn't it? common sense is really not to touch the '15 season at all, but it's so swings and roundabouts. if the money is there to compete, why not?
Old 4 Feb 2015, 16:16 (Ref:3500880)   #265
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In an earlier comment I am sure J Booth said the cars were in Abu Dhabi. The story implies the Administrator has an agreement with the creditors so one assumes that includes Ferrari.

Unlikely to be a Ferrari Junior team, this sounds more like that:

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...884.1373558528
Old 4 Feb 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3500893)   #266
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looking at the positives, the old premises where the team used to be based, in Huntingdon I believe, when it was launched as Virgin Racing (or whatever it was called), is still available. The problem at this point in time is that most of the staff needed to run a team would be difficult to find on such short notice, and the 2014 cars are not even in the UK.

However, according to this article on the GrandPrix website ( http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns29895.html ) there would appear to be opposition from other teams to the reconstituted team being allowed to run a 2014 car if they are successful in raising enough money.

My own thoughts on this are, and I would like to see as many cars on the grids as possible, why would anyone want to spend an amount probably nearer 100 plus million just so that they can get back 40 odd million over the course of the year (payments from FOM are spread over the course of the season - one way to make sure that the cars are on the grid for every race)? It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 17:26 (Ref:3500911)   #267
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Looking at the positives, the old premises where the team used to be based, in Huntingdon I believe, when it was launched as Virgin Racing (or whatever it was called), is still available. The problem at this point in time is that most of the staff needed to run a team would be difficult to find on such short notice, and the 2014 cars are not even in the UK.

However, according to this article on the GrandPrix website ( http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns29895.html ) there would appear to be opposition from other teams to the reconstituted team being allowed to run a 2014 car if they are successful in raising enough money.

My own thoughts on this are, and I would like to see as many cars on the grids as possible, why would anyone want to spend an amount probably nearer 100 plus million just so that they can get back 40 odd million over the course of the year (payments from FOM are spread over the course of the season - one way to make sure that the cars are on the grid for every race)? It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.
It depends how you quantify it and how it is structured. As it stands Ferrari will have to write off tens of milions of Euro's and explain to shareholder where it went, the problem with a debt is that you have nothing to show for it.

Say that it is someone wanting to run it as a semi satellite junior team - say Honda or Ferrari there will be certain economies of scale, you get extra engine mileage and testing, you can get some income from drivers, FOM money and twice the learning ability.

It wiould make sense for Honda as they are a year behind in actual running time and McLaren have junior drivers to slot in and of course McLaren are owed $10M as well they will never see otherwise.

I completely agree that it makes no sense for an outside investor to rescue the team which only provides the opportunity to spend even more to run it, which is why I think it has to be an F1 connected or even current particpant who can justify the cost.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 20:38 (Ref:3500987)   #268
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As that article states Justin King is heading the consortium looking to buy Marussia, it's probably a safe bet that if this happened there would be a driving role for his son at some point in the future (Jordan King is graduating to GP2 this season with Racing Engineering).
Old 4 Feb 2015, 21:20 (Ref:3501005)   #269
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Caterham might have a base they arent using
Two actually.The old Hingham premises,complete with machinery are available for £1.85 million.Don't know what Leafield would cost.
Old 4 Feb 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3501018)   #270
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
More Here

It would be interesting if the story is genuine, and more importantly, that money has changed hands...
Old 4 Feb 2015, 22:45 (Ref:3501036)   #271
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will be good if it happens, though really I think that the team needs Caterham as a benchmark, without them they're just going to be a couple of seconds a lap slower than the rest of the field, possibly more as they'd have to run a 2014 car.

I thought that the dispensation was only that the teams were allowed to use 2014 engines, not 2014 cars? I might be wrong though. Either way, would their inclusion result in Sauber getting less prize money? If the teams have to agree to their entry and the rules at this late date then I can't see Sauber backing something that'll cost them. They already appear to be on the low fuel sponsor hunt run at the moment.
Old 5 Feb 2015, 00:22 (Ref:3501076)   #272
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Katz View Post
Will be good if it happens, though really I think that the team needs Caterham as a benchmark, without them they're just going to be a couple of seconds a lap slower than the rest of the field, possibly more as they'd have to run a 2014 car.

I thought that the dispensation was only that the teams were allowed to use 2014 engines, not 2014 cars? I might be wrong though. Either way, would their inclusion result in Sauber getting less prize money? If the teams have to agree to their entry and the rules at this late date then I can't see Sauber backing something that'll cost them. They already appear to be on the low fuel sponsor hunt run at the moment.
They might be quicker than Force India
Old 5 Feb 2015, 01:43 (Ref:3501105)   #273
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
/\ That's a good point, actually..

Selby
Old 5 Feb 2015, 09:27 (Ref:3501239)   #274
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Anyone think BE might be involved in this in some way....?
Old 5 Feb 2015, 11:48 (Ref:3501292)   #275
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Anyone think BE might be involved in this in some way....?
Who knows. Some days he appeared to be almost actively trying to get rid of the newer teams, and then on other occasions he makes noises about trying to support them.